Which version is most stable?

wildbill001

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 2, 2012
Messages
85
Due to a number of reasons, I have had my home lab down and out for quite some time. Now that things are stabilizing for the family, I feel that it is time to bring it back. BUT, what version should I use? I have licenses for these (as well as the associated updates): 5.0, 5.1, 5.5, & 6.0

My system is 32gb RAM, FX-8320, 990fxa-UD3 Gigabyte mobo, Intel NIC, and on-board RealTek NIC. I'm NOT trying to get certified or anything like that. I use this system to run 3-4 linux systems, DNS, DHCP, 3-4 Windows systems on an almost 24/7 basis. Having the ability to pass a video card to a Windows VM would be great but not necessary.

I'm interested in stability, not being creative or trying to become VMware certified or anything like that. Suggestions?

TIA

Bill W
 
6.0 is still a touch new for my personal tastes, but is solid. I'm 5.5 all the way right now, on latest patches.
 
Same with 5.5 latest patches. I forgot which release it was of 5.5, but it had known issues with NetApp NFS datastores disconnecting. I believe it has been resolved, although I actually haven't updated those hosts since then. I am planning on doing an ONTAP upgrade soon and then getting them all on the latest patches for 5.5 and moving from a Windows based vCenter to VCSA so I can easily migrate to 6.0 in the future.
 
Back
Top