Which upgrade path would you choose?

ehZn

[H]ard|Gawd
Well guys, this would be the first time I have asked for advice about what to do. With the rig in my sig, I am faced with a dilemna. I game a lot and since I run an lcd @ 1280x1024, I require a lot of hardware power to get good iq and fps. I want my next rig to be amd939 + pci-e + ddr2, which gives me these choices:

1) Stick with the same setup for as long as possible and suffer through crappy iq and fps in newer games due to the 5900xt until all that hardware comes out, saving money but making me miss out on the gaming goodness

2) Buy a 6800 or 6800GT right now (even though they are overpriced :rolleyes: ), oc my cpu another couple hundred MHz and be able to play the newest games with high settings and good fps, but be stuck with an agp card I can't use when I build the new system in about 6 months.

3) Build the 939 system right now using agp and ddr, and wait about a year for pci-e and ddr2 to mature, then upgrade the mobo, vid card and RAM accordingly, which would cost me the most money but give the best performance over the entire time period.

Or if anyone else has a suggestion, I would appreciate it.

Want my opinion? Sit and wait, if anything, upgrade your video card, and oc a little more.

I am sitting a simular system and I am waiting til after x-mas to upgrade, by then, things should be more mature, then, I can buy a way better video card for way less;)

When in doubt, save your money. I made the mistake of upgrading mobo, ram, and case on my p4 2.0 a while back...ended up giving it to parents in exchange for half the money for a new comp only 7 months later. Now my parents use my former computer that I put tons of time into building and oc'ing to browse webpages and read email.

Alwasy save your money. The new stuff is right around the corner. There will come a time when waiting will no longer benefit you, but if you're looking to get the new, hot sh1t, you better wait.

If anything, option 2. Your processor isn't anywhere near being considered a bottleneck, or hindrance in gaming. I'm also a little surprised you'd feel that your video card is as well.

If your set on making your next PC have PCI-E and DDR2, then your only option is to wait.

djnes said:
If anything, option 2. Your processor isn't anywhere near being considered a bottleneck, or hindrance in gaming. I'm also a little surprised you'd feel that your video card is as well.

If your set on making your next PC have PCI-E and DDR2, then your only option is to wait.

I agree that the cpu, with a touch more oc, shouldn't present any problems. But I find the 5900xt, while giving pretty good performance (mine is oc'ed too), can't give the eye candy on 1280x1024. I can run Halo at that rez, but with all settings low or off, and farcry only runs smooth at 1024x768 with low or medium settings :rolleyes:

And yea, waiting sux...

But I think what I will do is grab a vanilla 6800 for $300, try and sell my 5900xt for about $100, and sit and wait for the new stuff. Thanks guys.

eastvillager said:

I considered it, but then I saw that in doom3 I would be paying $150 extra (right now anyway) for a few fps difference. I know there are only 12 pipelines and it doesn't run with gddr3 so the oc potential is less, but it still gives damn good performance for the price.

So unless the GT comes down to a reasonable price by the time I want to play these games, it's gonna be the reg 6800.

Back