Which two GPU waterblocks would you recommend...

EGGO

Gawd
...for the 6800?

There's the Swiftech MCW50 GPU Cooler where I'll buy the 6800 adapter kit. I'll buy ramsinks to accompany it as well obviously(I've been told that WCing the RAM if I'm not really overclocking it....though it IS the BFG 6800 Ultra OC, is almost overkill. then there's the DangerDen 6800 block. From what I've heard, 1/2" OD is the best to go for these.

These are some of the opinions I've heard for them, one for the DD, one for the Swiftech in case you are interested to hear both arguments:

Swiftech
The main advantage the mcw50 has over the Innovatek or DD is less far less flow restriction. It will also cool the gpu more efficiently.
It won't cool the memory. You could put some little ram sinks on there which would be fine. Watercooling memory is overkill anyways.
You know what you could do is use a reducer right in front of the gpu block to get down to 3/8". A 1/2" coupling would work- the 3/8" tubing will stretch over it.

DangerDen
As far as a recommendation: go with the danger den GPU for the 6800. That thing is awesome, but you will have to reenforce the card/block as the danger den block weighs a hefty 3 pounds (according to web site). (not much facts to reinforce his recommendation).

id go with the DD block because it cools both the ram and the gpu both in one.

Im not sure if it will fit on the 6800's (but i think it will since people have got the Maze4's on) but check out the Silverprop Fusion HL video card blocks. They have a copper base and more importantly a brass top which wont corrode like aluminum parts can. I try to keep any aluminum and copper parts from being in the same loop as corrosion can appear over time even with additives.

Cooling the ram is a waste of flow. The swiftech block is very nice, if it had 1/2" OD fittings I'd pick one up.

I have a DD 6800 block.
It works great..

gpu.jpg

SilverBack said:
I have a DD 6800 block.
It works great..

gpu.jpg

What type of 6800 do you have and what is the highest stable RAM OC you can attain?

If you have Doom 3, can you play the game for over 45 minutes to see if any RAM artifacting occurs after you've OC'ed the ram above 1200MHZ?

have a DD block.. havnt installed it yet because my pump is taking up way too much room...

Nexxus said:
have a DD block.. havnt installed it yet because my pump is taking up way too much room...

I'm runnig two L35's in the system.
The Cooler Master Satacker is such a big case LOL

pumps.jpg

Aashanti said:
you don't need to cool the memory at all.

Simon

Depends on what you want.
Stock cooling and the memory on the card would make it to 1225.
With the 6800 block I've benched at 1300....

Optimummind said:
What type of 6800 do you have and what is the highest stable RAM OC you can attain?

If you have Doom 3, can you play the game for over 45 minutes to see if any RAM artifacting occurs after you've OC'ed the ram above 1200MHZ?

I've done that already.
I've been playing the game at 450/1250 with no issues.
The card is an eVGA 6800 Ultra.

SilverBack said:
I've done that already.
I've been playing the game at 450/1250 with no issues.
The card is an eVGA 6800 Ultra.

If your card has the 1.6ns RAM as it's supposed to, I'm not surprised since the RAM is rated for 1200MHZ I belive.

But, if anyone's GT with the 2.0ns RAM can do 1200 and above in Doom 3 (with playtime over 45 minutes), I'd like to hear about it.

Still trying to make up my mind about buying the DangerDen or Innovatek's 6800 waterblock.

Cooling the memory won't give you any extra speed, the memory doesn't heat up that much even at maximum speed, rated or unrated.

Those who think that you can just cool better and get more speed it's not the way it works, there's a limit that you will reach regardless of how much you cool and for the memory, it won't heat up much at all even at utter and complete bleeding edge OC.

Simon

Aashanti said:
Cooling the memory won't give you any extra speed, the memory doesn't heat up that much even at maximum speed, rated or unrated.

Those who think that you can just cool better and get more speed it's not the way it works, there's a limit that you will reach regardless of how much you cool and for the memory, it won't heat up much at all even at utter and complete bleeding edge OC.

Simon

You're wrong.....

Aashanti said:

Simon

I second that you're wrong. I'm speaking from personal experience and from others' experiences.

Well, here is one of my recent experiences.

With a Koolance GPU-180 block on the core and the default black aluminum ramsink on the GDDR3, I could hit 435/1150. Even with the side case fan hitting the ramsink, I couldn't go higher.

A few days later, I removed the black ramsink and replaced it with 8 Vantec copper heatsinks. The copper ramsinks enabled me to hit 435/1200.

When I touched the copper ramsinks after running Doom 3 for about 40 minutes, they were very hot to the touch--not enough to burn my finger but very warm.

The copper ramsinks were doing their job and doing it well. Now that I've got a DangerDen 6800 waterblock on order, I'll post my GDDR3 overclocking results once I get the block.

No problem............ :D Glad to be of service.............. :cool: It was right on the front page in the news anyway..................... :eek:

Bio-Hazard said:
No problem............ :D Glad to be of service.............. :cool: It was right on the front page in the news anyway..................... :eek:

lol, I skipped right to the forum instead of stopping by the front page. :D

Although that review wasn't as optimistic as I expected it to be, I can't wait to try out this waterblock for myself. Just got confirmation from Danger Den that my block is on the way via FedEx.

I'll post results once everything is set up.

Back