which to get: Cisco or Dell switches

NleahciM

2[H]4U
Hi - so we've run into a bit of a stumbling block here. We need to purchase two new switches. One has to be a 24 port, the other can be 16 or 24. They both need to be 10/100. We can get two Cisco 2950s (24 port 10/100) for $60 each if we commit to a $12/year service agreement (for each) for as long as we have it in service. We can also get a Dell Powerconnect 2216 (16 port unmanaged 10/100) for $40 and a Powerconnect 2224 (24 port 10/100 unmanaged) for $70. So in the long run the Dells will be cheaper - but which do you think would be a better choice? We are just a small non profit (hence the cheap price on the Cisco equipment) organization (a Hospice) - and we don't have very extreme computing needs - but reliability is very important to us. So which do you think we should get? We talked with a consultant and he felt that the Cisco service plans would be too much of a pain to deal with. I've never dealt with Cisco before so I don't really know if there's any validity to this. What do you think? Thanks!

well ask yourself this.
how many YEARS are you gonna be using 100mbit stuff? i give gigabit 1-2 years till its widely available and cheap.
so 60+24 and a very very very nice switch for 2 years? go for cisco :p

This is a no brainer for those prices...get the cisco. Your basically getting them for free...you'd pay thousands retail for the switches and smartnet.

I'd go with CISCO.. I swear those Dell Switches are identical to SMC switches.

Wrench00 said:
I'd go with CISCO.. I swear those Dell Switches are identical to SMC switches.
The Dell switches are made by some Taiwanese company, IIRC.

But our consultant kept on saying renewing that contract and whatnot would be too much work, too much of a pain, etc. Is this simply not true?

Cisco suppot is nice so are their products. You get the first yer subscription then let it run out.

Wrench00 said:
Cisco suppot is nice so are their products. You get the first yer subscription then let it run out.
Part of getting the cisco switches at the discounted price is saying that we will continue to renew the service agreement for as long as we use them.

well, they dont need proof after 2 years or so of your "using them".
but the support will be worth it for however long you use it

how in the hell are you getting those cisco switches for 60$ each???/
I will give you 500$ plus the 12$ a year to get me some of them that cheap...jeeebus

Ebay even shows these things buy it now for 400-600$

or was this just a typo heh?

Draconius,

I was thinking the same thing... But in another thread I saw a shopping place for non-profit type orgs....

www.techsoup.org

Some of the incredible savings they get offered....

cat 3550-12T for 600
cat 2950-24 for 60
Pix 501 for 60
Pix 506E for 85 <----(frickin ridiculous)

Older cisco 340 wireless ap's for 40

I wish i had access to a "non-profit"... Though i am glad to see companies doing this for those types of organizations..

But going back to the original thread. for that price. Go buy cisco's.

wowowo

where can i apply to be non profit? I mean I really don't make much money at all! :p

anyways....I cant believe that they can offer prices that low to nonprofits...and then charge out thousands of dollars more for the same equipment to regular companies. oh well :/

draconius said:
wowowo

where can i apply to be non profit? I mean I really don't make much money at all! :p

anyways....I cant believe that they can offer prices that low to nonprofits...and then charge out thousands of dollars more for the same equipment to regular companies. oh well :/
gotta have a 501c3 which isn't exactly easy to get if you're not legit... Sorry :(

They say that the equipment may be refurbished or used - but still - the prices are insane. But really - I can't imagine it costs them much to make these products - it's more the development and support that costs them money - so they probably just do it as a charitable thing and I bet get to make a huge tax write off because of it.

The Cisco switches have a lot of great features. As far as I am aware, the Dell switches are still lacking a centralized management software, which the Cisco 2950's have onboard. You can manage every single 2940, 2950, 2970 (I think), and 3550 (I think) you have from one central piece of software.

Of course, if you're looking at the 2950's vs unmanaged Dell switches you're not going to need to worry about centralized management as far as the Dell's go. Personally I'd go for the Cisco switches. Compared to an unmanaged switch, you're gonna be able to do a lot more stuff with the Cisco switches. Comapred to a managed Dell switch, I still like the 2950's better...they've just got more stuff which is useful on a switch with end users plugged into it.

SmartNet contracts are a no-brainer to renew. The most time-consuming thing about it is finding the best price. Make sure you go and register at Cisco's contract center, I think it's called the SCC. There should be a link to it under their Tech Support page. It will give you detailed info on what products you have covered, what type of contract it is, and how long the contract lasts until.

Oh, and if you get the Cisco 2950T-24's or any 2940's, the IOS release 12.1(19)EA1c is a rock solid release, I'd recommend upgrading your switches to it. Cant speak for any of the other models except to say stay away from 12.1.(19)EA1 if you plan on using the centralized management (Cluster Manangement Suite) and want to sleep at night.

Boscoh said:
The Cisco switches have a lot of great features. As far as I am aware, the Dell switches are still lacking a centralized management software, which the Cisco 2950's have onboard. You can manage every single 2940, 2950, 2970 (I think), and 3550 (I think) you have from one central piece of software.

Of course, if you're looking at the 2950's vs unmanaged Dell switches you're not going to need to worry about centralized management as far as the Dell's go. Personally I'd go for the Cisco switches. Compared to an unmanaged switch, you're gonna be able to do a lot more stuff with the Cisco switches. Comapred to a managed Dell switch, I still like the 2950's better...they've just got more stuff which is useful on a switch with end users plugged into it.

SmartNet contracts are a no-brainer to renew. The most time-consuming thing about it is finding the best price. Make sure you go and register at Cisco's contract center, I think it's called the SCC. There should be a link to it under their Tech Support page. It will give you detailed info on what products you have covered, what type of contract it is, and how long the contract lasts until.

Oh, and if you get the Cisco 2950T-24's or any 2940's, the IOS release 12.1(19)EA1c is a rock solid release, I'd recommend upgrading your switches to it. Cant speak for any of the other models except to say stay away from 12.1.(19)EA1 if you plan on using the centralized management (Cluster Manangement Suite) and want to sleep at night.
Do you have any idea how much these smartnet contracts cost per year? We were told about 2% of the retail cost of the switch (so about $12/year) but that seems very low. Any idea if that's correct?

I think what boscoh meant to say is for normal corporations we need to shop around for smartnet contracts. (mine is coming up in the spring.. a couple of 6509,4506,3750, and 2950)

at 12/year you have nothing to worry about. I can't think of any piece of networking equipment maintenance (for 12/year) where i get techsupport/full product upgrades/ and hardware replacement.

You are getting about 90% off of what smartnet contracts usually are.

1 year smartnet for 2950 - 24 (smi)
24x7 - 4 hour - 169.94
8x5 - NBD - 106.67
(prices from cdw)

The prices we were quoted for 8x5xNBD for the 2950T-24's was less than $100 dollars. For the 2950-12 it was less than 50.

who would we contact regarding these contracts, to find out if they would be offering us a significant discount? I mean if we had to pay $50 per year - then I think we'll just stick with lower quality switches.

NleahciM said:
who would we contact regarding these contracts, to find out if they would be offering us a significant discount? I mean if we had to pay $50 per year - then I think we'll just stick with lower quality switches.

12$ a year is a big discount. I think our last renewal was 15k for about 25 switches. If 12$ a year is a problem I'd pay it out of my own pocket...it's worth it.

Back