Which temperature should I trust?

u8myrice

2[H]4U
I have Speedfan telling me my idle is 45 (I need to reapply AC5, it used to be 39) but my watercooling unit tells me it's at 36.8. The kit has a thermostat thing. I put the thing right next to the cpu, under the heat sink. Which one should I trust? Which one is more accurate?

Im not familiar with speedfan but have found motherboard temp readings to be off by a fair bit. Abit boards in particular are bad for this but Ive experienced it with Asus as well. Im sure other brands have the same problem. The onboard CPU and case temps are usually off, sometimes by over 10c. In my experience they have always been reading temps too high. This I found by using a quality temp probe I borrow from work. With some temp sensor programs you can calibrate the readings, If yours can do that itd be worthwhile to rent a quality probe.

To think about it, my mobo's temp and my water kit temp differs about 10C. THe probe is right under the heat sink, right next to the CPU. I suppose that probe can get a better, accurate reading than the onboard.

I have the mobo from the Retail Package. Do you think I can calibrate the temp readings?

If the probe is where you say it is, then I would trust that. It would be about the closest to the core that you can get.

Back