Which temperature sensor to trust (Intel)

AproXi

n00b
Joined
Dec 26, 2010
Messages
7
Hello Guys and Gals,

When i'm stress testing my cpu (i7 930) @ 4.2GHz on my Asus Rampage III Extreme. I see a big difference between CPU Core(1,2,3,4) temperatures measured by DTS (Digital Themal Sensor) and CPU-temperature measured by Winbond/Nuvoton W83667HG sensor.

CPU Stress: ~90 C (DTS)
CPU Stress: ~65 C (Winbond)
The idle temperatures is almost the same with both sensors. ~45 C

Anyone who know a bit more about this and which sensor is to be trusted the most?
 
I trust the thermal diode that is on the CPU. On windows Realtemp or CoreTemp will read these or the coretemp driver on linux. I believe these will not be the Winbond sensor.
 
RealTemp or CoreTemp, the other temp is from a diode in the socket, most likely, and so won't show accurate CPU temps.
 
Back
Top