• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Which SSD to get?

demonshin

n00b
Joined
Sep 18, 2011
Messages
5
Looking into buying a new SSD what do you guys recommend? This will be for my desktop gaming system I was thinking about either 120GB or 240GB capacity sandforce based.
 
Crucial m4. Best value SATAIII drive. Sandforce speed is not worth the risks associated with it and you will perceive no difference anyway in everyday use, such as app and gaming start-up times.
 
OCZ Vertex 3 240. (or the max iops edition)

The newer firmware has stabalized the sandforce issues. So remember to update your firmware 1st.

The Crucial M4 also has new firmware and is even faster then it used to be. But the risks have gone considerably down with the new firmware in 2200 land.
 
I already have a Sandforce based SSD from Patriot Memory. I have read a lot of issues with Sandforce based SSD right now but I have not run into of these issues. *crossfingers!*

I do want to play it on the safe side and get another SSD. I was looking into the m4 and that is probably what I will be getting next. As for OCZ...I have no comment :)
 
I love my Mushkin Callisto Deluxe I have in one of my systems and hope to feel the same about my m4 arriving today for another system.
 
M4's seem to be the way to go, I've been looking as well for a new rig and with the new firmware, fassssst speeds.
 
Yeah I am stuck...I love my Patriot Memory Wildfire as it has been working perfectly for me but I read there are some issues that people are experiencing.
 
bad.

get the force gt 90gb instead. much better. the above drive can't handle random data, the force gt can.

What's faster, the Crucial M4 128GB SSD or the Corsair Force Series GT 90GB? I ask because after seeing the price comparison, if the Corsair Force Series GT 90GB SSD's not faster then what's the point?

Seems like Crucial M4 for speed/stability and Vertex 3 Max IOPS Series for speed/speed (less stability).
 
M4 is best at low QD 4k which is the most common normal usage.

not qd1, at least in my experience. (note the m4 on the left is about 70% filled, hence the bad write speeds. even when I benched it as I got it, it never did better than 28mb/s qd1 4k read, even with fastpath on and c-states off)

here's 1x m4 (70% full) vs 4x force gt drives (50% full). the force drives get owned on sequential and high qd 4k, but pull off some sort of miracle for 4k qd1.

m4vsforcegt.png


for reference on the write speeds, this is what a completely new and empty m4 drive will pull off on the sata 2 ports

m4sata2.png
 
Last edited:
What's faster, the Crucial M4 128GB SSD or the Corsair Force Series GT 90GB? I ask because after seeing the price comparison, if the Corsair Force Series GT 90GB SSD's not faster then what's the point?

if your choice is between the 90gb and the 128gb for the same price, go with the 128gb m4. the force gt is faster at certain things, but not worth losing 30gb of data over. the m4 also beats it out in a lot of scenarios that you can see above.

however, I see the 120gb force gt is on sale at newegg for $180 http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/2061/screenshotge.png mail in rebate though. if you want to avoid the mail in rebate, go with the m4.
 
Last edited:
You already have a 2nd gen SSD, you don't have native SATA3 on your board, your current SSD works fine : don't buy another SSD is my advice.
 
Well I just bought a Clevo P151HM1 gaming notebook. I am looking for a sata III based SSD for that.
 
P150HM_P151HM1.png


Am I missing the sataIII controller? I don't think it has anything but the 3.0gbps

The motherboard schematic for CLEVO P150HM, CLEVO P151HM1 Mainboard
CPU: Sandy Bridge Proceessors
Chipset: CougarPoint Controller Hub (PCH)
Format: PDF
 
Definitely Crucial M4. Best combination price/value/reliability IMHO.
 
Very reliable, underrated, looking forward to SataIII version coming in October.
 
Back
Top