• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Which SSD for games?

  • Thread starter Deleted whining member 223597
  • Start date
D

Deleted whining member 223597

Guest
My maximum budget is $300, $315 would be ok though, just not above that.

My steam folder is 120gb(all games installed, backups deducted). My other games are about another 30-40gb at least. So which drive would be the best for just games? I don't need insane speeds(200mb/s read/write are good I think for games). No other programs will be installed on it.

Is this drive good? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227752

Seems a bit cheap for the capacity :confused:
 
Probably not the answer you're looking for, but I wouldn't buy a SSD just for games unless I had money burning a hole in my pocket. Personally I don't think the cost is worth the slight speed increase. SSD for an OS - sure, for gaming - not so much. Of course that's just my opinion. I'd put my money into something else, like perhaps a video card upgrade.
 
Dont listen to these practical people! I'd trade in my wife for 5 more FPS. :)

But seriously, I like Intel and Crucial. I own the Crucial C300 which is great, but I like the M4 as well. I don't think either is at the price point you want for the size you need yet. But I've heard good things about the Kingston, which may be a good fit. I dont care for OCZ, just my humble opinion.
 
I have an Corsair Force 3 Sandforce 2200 and they just released a new firmware which fixed a shit ton of problems. The drive is very stable now and its very fast at loading games. Games load from sequential transfers mostly so it should feel very speedy. The sandforce 2200 series controller is not a good choice if want maximum random IO like running a SQL instance or something.
 
http://stefanjones.ca/steam/ Tool for moving games back and forth so it splits steam into 2 folders and tricks it into thinking its 1 folder. But honestly I stopped using it. The speed increase in games isnt worth bragging about. Im on the Crucial M4 128gb Read speed 415mb/s. Splits the load times MAYBE in half...But its really not worth it.
 
*sigh*.

Have you ever played a modded oblivion or morrowind? I have those on my ssd and the load times are still not the fastest. I like to play games such as gta, stalker and games along those lines which load in game. For those an ssd helps as those load times in game practically wont exist anymore(no slowdowns). There is a reason why I am looking at an SSD for my games.
 
Ok what I think I will try is get a 1TB HDD for general storage and general games and get something like a 64gb SSD and do the thing with tricking steam and test it out for myself to see if it helps games, if it does I will go ahead and buy a bigger SSD.
 
I have a C300 and an M4. Both outstanding SSDs. All my Steamapp files on C300. I haven't spilled over into the M4 just yet. I thought about doing the SteamMover thing or creating a bogus user profile, etc. to keep the SSD free of bloated information, but I just installed my OS and programs like anyother HDD in the past. Carefree and working perfectly.
 
Ok what I think I will try is get a 1TB HDD for general storage and general games and get something like a 64gb SSD and do the thing with tricking steam and test it out for myself to see if it helps games, if it does I will go ahead and buy a bigger SSD.

Not a bad plan, but think about getting a 120GB SSD and putting both the OS and the common games on it. You'll get better performance than just having the games on there by themselves.
 
Not a bad plan, but think about getting a 120GB SSD and putting both the OS and the common games on it. You'll get better performance than just having the games on there by themselves.

Ahh well I have my 60gb G.Skill for windows and apps like TS, Vent, Xfire, Word ect. :)
 
I'm looking for a new SSD too. But with all this news about the sandforce bsod, which drives are NOT Sandforce drives?
 
Back
Top