Which socket A MBs will run the memory slower than the FSB?

thedarkwolf

2[H]4U
I know that isn't the best idea but I have 768megs of older memory, 512megs of ddr333 and a 256meg stick of ddr266, and I need to upgrade. I would like to do the 2500+ barton overclock but there is no way either of those sticks are going to make ddr400 speeds. I would just go ahead and get new memory but I have blown a lot of cash this month already and would like to hold off on the memory for awhile.

I haven't been able to find much info on this other than this albatron board . None of the reviews really talk about this feature since they all go for max speed. I'd just buy the albatron board but its not in stock atleast at newegg.

I dunno much about albatron - but the chipset should allow for slower memory bus. I have an NForce 2 ultra 400 chipset running my older 266mhz ddr memory in dual bus mode while my cpu is o/c'd to 11X200
One thing to check is how the memory bus is isolated in the bios - Are you allowed to set the memory bus speed or its multiplier? mine allows me to set the bus speed or does it automatically...

The Asus ones will let you run the memory slower than the fsb, down to 50%, so if you could somehow get the fsb up to 266 (533ddr!!!) without the system melting you could still run the memory in spec.

Back