Which Size Monitor for My Rig?

Bowen

Weaksauce
I was wondering which size monitor should I get to match with my rig?

I'm looking either to get a 22 inch Samsung 2243BWT or should I get a 24 inch monitor. I'm looking at a Samsung but I'm not sure which one to get. I don't want to overpower my rig either. Here are my specs.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Asus P5B-E mobo, Corsair DDR2 1066 RAM, GeForce GTX 275 Video Card. I know that if I get a 24 inch monitor with a res of 1920x1200 I can reduce my resolution but I also know LCD's don't look good when they go out of their native resolutions. Right now I have a LG L204WT LCD and I use a res of 1680x1050. The Samsung 2243BWT uses that same resolution. Should I get that one or a 24?

I play mostly FPS games but I don't play that much. I think I just answered my own question. I don't play that much so I should probably get the 24...huh. I'd like to get a Samsung but I don't want to spend over $300 or so for it. Can anyone tell me the best 24 inch Samsung monitor to get or do you guys have a 24 inch monitor that you guys like?

Thanks in advance!

I think the 24" would probably be a good choice, the other monitor may improve color/refresh, although you likely won't notice it as much as having a bigger display area

the GTX275 should handle 1920x1200 for most games, you may be lowering settings in a few newer titles though, but that isn't the end of the world

Don't upgrade to a monitor with the same resolution just because it's a bigger size. Go to 1920x1080/1200.

Unfortunately, within your price range you have limited choices for 19x12. Samsung has a pretty awful lineup in particular; ironically, their best offering is the F2380 that is generally considered a disappointment on this forum. However, it is still the only (available) non-TN anywhere near your budget, and isn't far outside it, but it's 1080 and not 1200.

Newegg has this ASUS 26" for $270 AR until Monday. Probably your best deal for anything 19x12 at the moment, since it seems most monitors at that resolution have been discontinued or had their price raised. However you must be careful with their returns policy, and you may want to call first and see if you can get some sort of dead pixel guarantee out of them.

Other than that, there's a ton of 22-24" 19x10 TN monitors for ~$200 or less. Not much difference between them afaik.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to getting one soon. I sit about 2 feet from my monitor....is a 24 inch too big or is it fine?

Oh, I was looking at the SAMSUNG T240HD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001280

I'm not crazy about having the TV tuner....is that going to be a liability? Should I look at something else? I'd rather not have a LCD/TV. I know combo devices usually don't fare well but if it doesn't hurt it I'm fine with it I guess. I just can't find any relatively cheap 24 inch monitors....especially Samsung monitors.

Thanks, I'm looking forward to getting one soon. I sit about 2 feet from my monitor....is a 24 inch too big or is it fine?

Oh, I was looking at the SAMSUNG T240HD: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001280

I'm not crazy about having the TV tuner....is that going to be a liability? Should I look at something else? I'd rather not have a LCD/TV. I know combo devices usually don't fare well but if it doesn't hurt it I'm fine with it I guess. I just can't find any relatively cheap 24 inch monitors....especially Samsung monitors.

2 feet is fine for 24".

The T240HD is one of the laggiest TN monitors. It also has fairly bad colors out of the box, and very limited controls to fix them. It's not a very good display. The tuner is the only thing it has going for it.

I would say the Asus VW266H would be better. The T240HD Samsungs aren't that great. The backlight bleeding is noticeable on those lcd models. I agree with nomu also that the colors don't look all that great also.

You can also consider the Acer H233H bmid 23" 1080P for $179.99 at Best Buy.

Also, Acer P244W bd 24" 1080P for $199.99 at Costco

At least you have the option to return this if you have dead pixels or bad backlight bleeding.

I have Hanns.G HG281D,and i love it. for the price how can you go wrong? BTW, Asus VW266H is great choice as well.

Hmmm.....I think I'm gonna go with the ASUS VW266H and see how I like it. The only think I didn't like with the Asus review ( http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=678 ) was that you couldn't adjust the height, but then again I can't adjust the height on my current LG either.....so.....

look at my sig, the 24" monitor, the colors are amazing, the resolution is perfect, besides the casing around monitor, its fucking BA!

Don't upgrade to a monitor with the same resolution just because it's a bigger size. Go to 1920x1080/1200.

Unfortunately, within your price range you have limited choices for 19x12. Samsung has a pretty awful lineup in particular; ironically, their best offering is the F2380 that is generally considered a disappointment on this forum. However, it is still the only (available) non-TN anywhere near your budget, and isn't far outside it, but it's 1080 and not 1200.

Newegg has this ASUS 26" for $270 AR until Monday. Probably your best deal for anything 19x12 at the moment, since it seems most monitors at that resolution have been discontinued or had their price raised. However you must be careful with their returns policy, and you may want to call first and see if you can get some sort of dead pixel guarantee out of them.

Other than that, there's a ton of 22-24" 19x10 TN monitors for ~$200 or less. Not much difference between them afaik.

2 feet is fine for 24".

The T240HD is one of the laggiest TN monitors. It also has fairly bad colors out of the box, and very limited controls to fix them. It's not a very good display. The tuner is the only thing it has going for it.

/Thread

Good move. I actually was looking at the Samsung 244BWT but, figured you wouldn't wanna go for it because it's over $300+.

Good move. I actually was looking at the Samsung 244BWT but, figured you wouldn't wanna go for it because it's over $300+.

Thanks.....I wasn't going to but I look at it as an investment and I plan on having this monitor for 4 years at the minimum!

Strange,how you guys like Samsung i think their models are bad BenQ and Asus make
better monitors lately have owned T240 awful monitor would say.

The Samsung T240, T260 models I don't like. The previous Samsung models I like better

Samsung 2493HM
Samsung 244BWT
Samsung 244BWX --> No height adjustment
Samsung 245BW

I decided to spend a few extra dollars and go with a 24 inch Samsung. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001323

I'm gonna get it at Provantage though because of Newegg's stupid 8 pixel policy, in case I get some stuck pixels. I'm not gonna pay $350+ for a LCD with bad pixels!!! http://www.provantage.com/samsung-2443bwt~7SAMD0CT.htm

That's getting awful close to the sale or outlet price on a 2408WFP. That's why I find it hard to recommend the BenQ G2400/V2400 anymore, even though they are still very much loved. Nice stand on that Samsung, though.

your budget and size is a tough area. i would have stuck with your previous monitor unitl a decent deal for an ips 24 comes around again. the 2408wfp and lp2475w hover right around 400 often with a deal and will be night and day compared to what you just purchased.
if you really can't stretch that far, but insist on a new monitor i would just search the lowest price panel for that res because TNs are all pretty much the same.

i think that the question should be, which best panel type image quality can i get?

The Samsung T240, T260 models I don't like. The previous Samsung models I like better

Samsung 2493HM
Samsung 244BWT
Samsung 244BWX --> No height adjustment
Samsung 245BW

Right and I almost accidentally got the 244BWT but I bought the 2443BWT which does have a height adjustment on it.

Back