Which should I get?

MrPrez

Limp Gawd
Ok, so I have some extra cash, which should I get?
1) MX518
-I have an MX510, is it worth the upgrade?
2) Plantronics DSP-500 headset
3) Sennheiser PC-150 headset

I play a lot of CS:S and CoD and I have a dedicated set of music headphones. Thanks in advance.

Is the MX518 WOrth upgrading from a Intellimouse 2.0 or 3.0... I've had it probably for ehhh at least 3 years now...

Prez, have you considered the 5.1 Medusa sets?

I've been doing some research and I've heard nothing but good about these headsets.
Those are the ones I intend to get.

Four speakers in each cup. You can pinpoint the opposition on the map by all accounts.

I play CS too. So it's worth having a good headset.

Medusa eh? Ill look into them some more, Ive also heard nothing but good things about them as well. PC Gamer gave said the MX518 is better than the MX510. Not by leaps and bounds mind you, but better. Thanks kids.

About the mice?

If you check my "Building a PC" Thread you'll see the mouse I'm getting.

The MX518 looks a great mouse. But in the fast frenzied world of CS changing the weapons at speed using the scroll wheel I would be catching the sensitivity buttons all the time.

I don't think you would see that much of a diff from the 510 to the 518.

Blah425 said:
I don't think you would see that much of a diff from the 510 to the 518.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking also. I know a lot of people use the Senn and the Plantronics headsets though, and I hear that most who have the Plantronics whould rather have teh PC150, so, Ill probably go with the PC150s.

The MX518 is so cool though.....

PC Headsets are so worthless. You said you already have a good pair of music headphones - stick with them. I had a "nice" Plantronics headset, it was so shitty that I went and bought a pair of Bose Triports and used a 99 cent clip-on mic - sadly, the clip-on was double the quality of the plantronics mic!

Blah425 said:
Yeah but the MX1000 is soooo much cooler than both!

No it's really not. I bought one to see how it was. It's heavy, the software is goofy and it's wireless, that means charging, that means hassles, i hate hassles. Good mouse though.

Headsets are worthless you say? Well, it looks like I need to make a new thread in the computer audio section on whether to go with open aire or closed headphones. Thanks for the help.

I am using the mx1000 right now and its not that much different then the mx510 that i had.

So you like the mouse but its too much hassle? Is it that hard to lean over the comp desk and put you mouse on the charger? Does that mean that your house phone, cell phone and maybe even your iPod die all the time b/c its too much of a hassle to charge them?

Blah425 said:
So you like the mouse but its too much hassle? Is it that hard to lean over the comp desk and put you mouse on the charger? Does that mean that your house phone, cell phone and maybe even your iPod die all the time b/c its too much of a hassle to charge them?

Very true, and no, my portable electronics dont die, i do charge them, regularly, but Id rather not have to charge my mouse. Eh, my thread got crapped and has gone OT, thanks guys.

PS: Little moody at the moment. Just had my Algebra final, and if dont get a C on it, i dont pass, which means I wont be able to work at camp this summer and Ill have to get my dad's foot surgically removed from my ass.

Sorry I didn't mean to get this thread OT I just had to point that out.

Since when are PC headsets worthless? I geuss you guys don't LAN, or you live alone.

Also, it's a bit easier to wear surround headphones to pinpoint enemies than to having to wire and place a 5.1 speaker setup in your room. Not to mention you've got ambient noise to deal with.

A friend and I had a very in depth discussion about 5.1 headphones. Needless to say, technically they do work, if you wear them, and try them they work, but physiologically, they shouldnt work. If you have two mics representing the ears, and a multi driver headphone set pointed at one mic playing sounds, and a single speaker pointed at the other ear, playing exactly what the multi channel speaker set is, the mics "hear" the same thing. My buddy, a physics major, went much more in depth than that, it was about an hour long conversation.

I think ill go with the PC150s, Ive heard nothing but good things about them.

Back