Which setup would you prefer?

Which would you prefer?

• Total voters

next-Jin

Supreme [H]ardness
Assuming an HDTV in a living room environment which would you prefer if you could only buy one of the 4 platforms?

PC Specs: Estimated 400.00 without OS

- Thermaltake V3 Black Edition
- HGST 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB
- CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W
- G.SKILL NS 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1333
- BIOSTAR H61MGV3 M-ATX
- Intel Pentium G2020 Ivy Bridge 2.9GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core CPU
- Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition 1GB 128-bit GDDR5
- (insert aquired Windows OS here)
- Wireless 360 Controller Kit

Specifically setup for use with Steam Big Picture (Boots into SBP).

Last edited:
A PS4 has tons more power, can play Blurays and has quite a few fun exclusives.

Not to say that it is better than a midrange PC, but at the $500 price-point, Sony is selling the PS4 at a loss and it shows. If you were looking at the $700 price point, it's a different story.

I'd prefer both the PS4 (BluRay & exclusive games) & SteamBox (PC games)

I'd prefer the PC, because until 2014 at the earliest, neither the PS4 or Xbox One will have a significant library of games.

I just run an hdmi from my PC havent used my ps3 or my xbox in quite a while.

None of the above, honestly. I'd have to put a TV in my living room for any of those. I just don't watch enough TV to warrant it.

I think a gaming PC should be closer to $600, but even at $400, I'd still prefer the PC.

Not to say that it is better than a midrange PC, but at the $500 price-point, Sony is selling the PS4 at a loss and it shows. If you were looking at the $700 price point, it's a different story.

Agreed 100%

ps4 for exclusives.

im gonna get wireless hdmi for my computer to tv so i wont need a steambox.

Or you could do what I do...Everytime I or my GF upgrades, the parts go into our HTPC (specs in sig). The thing isn't top of the line, but it suffices for 720p or 1080p gaming on the bigscreen for almost any console port. I don't need AA when I'm sitting 8 feet from the screen. Haven't had a need for any consoles or spending any money on my HTPC in years. The HD4850 that's been sitting in it for 2 years now is lightyears ahead of anything the XBox360 or PS3 had, so for the short term it still does better graphics than consoles. In a few months I will likely upgrade my videocard and the HTPC will get a GTX560ti 2GB and will prolong its life even further since even that card and CPU is better than what the PS4 has. Optimizations on the consoles may make them slightly more powerful near term, but I'm not too concerned since I can always lower settings a bit and in 2 more years it will get upgraded again and still be faster.

Total dollars spent on HTPC to date = 0 since the whole thing is hand me down parts. Keep in mind though, I can only do this because I get the upgrade bug every couple years. Anything that doesn't get used in the HTPC gets sold.

PC, you can do a hell of a lot more with it and it can be upgraded to get the best out of future games.
Even though you called it a steam box, its a gaming PC.
Any time you have some spare cash, you can improve its performance, you cant do that to a console, you are stuck with the hardware for a looong time as the PC storms ahead.
PC games are a lot cheaper so its false economy getting a cheaper console, some games are even free.
The same games on PC are better quality too.
No brainer imo.

My PC lives in the living room, I use it from the sofa.
I watch TV while browsing the web, great time saver, allows me to get more done and I dont miss my favourite programs.

PC, you can do a hell of a lot more with it and it can be upgraded to get the best out of future games.
Even though you called it a steam box, its a gaming PC.
Any time you have some spare cash, you can improve its performance, you cant do that to a console, you are stuck with the hardware for a looong time as the PC storms ahead.
PC games are a lot cheaper so its false economy getting a cheaper console, some games are even free.
The same games on PC are better quality too.
No brainer imo.

My PC lives in the living room, I use it from the sofa.
I watch TV while browsing the web, great time saver, allows me to get more done and I dont miss my favourite programs.

This was specifically speaking on a PC dedicated solely for Steam as to be completely mouse/keyboard free.

ie the best possible comparison giving equal cost, input format, and user interface.

I love my HTPC, but I paid for performance and enjoy the troubles associated with it.

Pc connected to TV via HDMI and PS3 controller via Bluetooth. Best gaming machine ever :)

I would take all the above. There are great games on each platform. I have an HTPC I play games on as well as a xbox 360, PS3, and Wii.

I like experiencing a great game regardless of platform.

I chose Steambox because I already know some uses for it... the other consoles don't have enough games out yet.

Not enough options. Having to pick one from the list, I'd go with a PS4.

Steambox cause of the usage I can get out of it and cause of the massive amount of games I have on it as well.

PC FTW, I can never get used to using controller to play FPS games, plus it's impossible to play RTS games without keyboard and mouse

FF15, GT6/7, next Skyrim... what more could I possibly want? There will be more if I choose :)

PC is dead.

PC FTW, I can never get used to using controller to play FPS games

+1

Until the consoles allow a KB/M combo, it won't be as fun IMO. Some genres work better with a controller or steering wheel but FPS needs to be a KB/M.

Whatever I can play the Uncharted on...

That's the handicap of PC gaming in my opinion, ease of use and game selection.

PC + monitor + headphones + good receiver and speakers + TV + optional wireless m/kb/gamepad = win

I would never buy any of those at launch let alone making a decision pre-launch. I'll be waiting to see how the market pans out and maybe for a price drop before I even start to consider them.

None. I never limit myself to one choice because none will meet my needs 100%. Right now my HDTV has a 360, PS3, wii(that i never use lol), HTPC and a 25ft hdmi cable that runs to my computer with a wireless KB and Mouse attached so I can play any game on any platform anytime I want. Who wants to limit themselves?

WiiU.

Why? Because I have a gaming PC in my other room for core titles. Most good games coming to PS4/XB1 are coming to PC, baring some rare exceptions. The WiiU is a platform with a far different palette of games and my son and wife both love Nintendo games.

WiiU by a country mile.

HTPC kicks the shit out of any media functions consoles can provide. The only downside is that things like Netflix are sometimes unfairly better on other platforms (Netflix on the PS3 is quite impressive but pretty lame for the PC) however for ripping , organizing your library and being able to run everything at its proper resolution with full HD audio options (Dolby True Digital , DTS-HD MA) then the PC is still superior.

At this moment however I would wait since we have two new consoles launching that will make pretty power media players. And let other people figure out which one of the next gen consoles is superior for streaming. Don't be an earlier adopter if all you care about is media streaming and not the games.

I think the best combo will be Wii U + PS4 + Gaming PC/HTPC + 3DS. Anything less and you are deprived.

Using Steambox with PC games + gamepad will be crap IMO because very few PC games can function with a gamepad exclusively.

Picked PS4 since that $400 PC specced out in the thread won't make it another 2 years before needing upgrades to play new games well.

Also the PS3 makes for a very good Blu Ray player and there is no reason to think the PS4 will be any worse. PC based Blu Ray players can leave a lot to be desired for ease of use and reliability.

Why wouldn't a gaming rig be in the options? If it was only betwwen those I wouldn probably choose the PS4.

Until the consoles allow a KB/M combo
Some games on PS3 allowed mouse/keyboard... Unreal 3 for example. I wonder why more didn't, like was it so much extra work to support these devices or what? It's simple in multiplayer to separate kb/ms and controller users... so what gives?

my main question for OP would be: Do you already have a gaming PC?

if not PC,

if yes, PS4. get different games that are exclusive (cant play on PC), won't be obsolete as fast as a $400 PC either.

but having a gaming PC is the first priority, even if its $400.

Back