Which Sennheiser headphones to buy?

I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD 212 Pro headphones. They're ok, but I want something that will never leave me wanting more in terms of sound and comfort.

That said, I'm mainly looking at 4 sets of headphones here:

1. Sennheiser HD 555
2. Sennheiser HD 580
3. Sennheiser HD 590
4. Sennheiser HD 595 (most expensive option, probably will not go this high in price)

I'll probably end up buying a used pair off of FS/Trade forums or eBay for $90-120, depending on the pair.

I really can't distinguish between the first three pairs, especially between the HD 580 and HD 590s. From what I've read, the HD 580 headphones are just a replacement of the HD 590s. The HD 555's have a smaller frequency range of 15Hz-28KHz, while the others have 12Hz - 38,000 Hz. Besides that I really can't see much of a difference. The Sennheiser HD 595's appear to be a cheaper HD 600 or HD 650 solution.

Which set should I go for? I've done a number of hours research on the subject; I have a feeling the HD 580's are the right choice, but I'd like some feedback from you guys before I make a decision (I plan to use these for 4-8 years). Thanks ahead of time for your input. :)

ahh thanks for the mod that moved my thread. :)

Still reading up trying to decide. www.headphone.com gives the HD 555, HD 580, and HD 595 headphones a perfect 5/5, so the decision is real tough.

I own the 595 along with others. It is far and away my favorite set by far. for music, gaming
and comfort. You will never ever regret the extra dollars by purchasing them.

of the three, the 580's are by far the best, but require an amp to realy properly drive them. You can find them used for about 120$, throw in a PA2V2 for 60$ and you have the best sub 200$ headphone available.

If you really don't want to mess with an amp, then get the 595's, they would be the best unamped. You can get them for about 180$ shipped new off ebay.

what kind of music do you listen to? sennheiser is pretty boring with anything other than classical music imo.

The 595's are pretty decent rock/metal cans IMO. They are also very comfortable as long as you dont mind a bit of clamp. They are the most forward of the higher end Sennheiser line. They are also great with vocals. A pair of Grados are better with guitars and drums though. However the soundstage of the Grados does not compare with the 595 so that makes the 595 preferable for gaming. Id go with the 595's. Theyre great mid-high end all rounders. Definitely worth the money.

i have a pair of HD595 also ,

these are pretty comfortable and dont let your ears overheat from wearing them for a while like other cheap headphones do, they sound good with a good soundcard,

they are not worth buying if its just for games , or if you listen to mp3s and use your onboard audio ,

for that ,either 485 or 555 will work for you just fine

Do yourself a favor and skip the HD590's. They are nothing to brag home about.
Do yourself another favor and make sure you listen to the high end beyerdynamic line before making a purchase.

DT770pro (170$)
DT880 (220$)
DT990pro (170$)
These are all far superior to the HD590 in my eyes.

The sennheiser is way to laid back and lacked way way too much in the low end. They were comfy though (but so are the beyers).

For the price I would really compare the HD580, HD650, and HD595 to the beyers. See which you prefer.

~Hope this helps, and i'de be interested to hear what you decide on

i read some reviews on the DT880,

looks like these are very nice cans for the price , even better then HD600

thanks

They need to be amped though and are not generally recommended for rock. But I dont know what his music tastes are either so that may not be a concern. They have a big soundstage though so are probably good for movies and games.

I forgot to mention most of the time I will be using these headphones with my computer, so there isn't much need for an amp. Eventually I plan to buy an iPod, but I think I'll use some cheaper Sennheiser PX 100s for that. I don't want to lug around $250 headphones unnecessarily.

From what I've seen from you guys so far, the HD 580's for around $120 used would be the best headphones under $170 or so, especially since I'll be using them mostly on my computer.

As for a sound card, I've been using my motherboard's on-board sound (in sig), although I do own a Sound Blast Live! 5.1 sound card. If necessary I could buy a Xi-Fi or such high-end sound card, but I don't see the benefits yet.

I looked around for Beyerdynamic DT 880s, as I don't think I'm interested in any cans other than those from beyerdynamic. I think I could get a pair in excellent condition for about $175 shipped.

I listen to all sorts of music, from rock and metal to classical and techno. I also play a lot of games (mainly CS: Source), and positioning is very important to me.

if you buy any headphones that cost over $100 buy a good soundcard or it will be a waste of good headphones ,

if you planing on using the onboard audio then dont spend more then 60bucks on the headphones

Yeah dont waste money on an audiophile grade headphone when your source wont do them any justice.

Cousin Patty said:
Yeah dont waste money on an audiophile grade headphone when your source wont do them any justice.

B.S.

You can always upgrade your source down the road :rolleyes:

The Senn 595s are stellar headphones, I recommend them. The 580s are also great but you may find them too laid back and they really need an amp. The 595s sound better with an amp also.

OK can someone please clear this up for me:

Do I need an amp when I'm using my headphones through my pc? It seems to me my headphones should receive plenty of power through my pc, it's not like I'm going through a low-power mp3 player.

I take it a Sound Blaster Live! 5.1 card doesn't cut it?

If I get a better sound card, which one should I get? Is the Audigy 2 ZS good?

jesusfr3ak4evr said:
I forgot to mention most of the time I will be using these headphones with my computer, so there isn't much need for an amp. Eventually I plan to buy an iPod, but I think I'll use some cheaper Sennheiser PX 100s for that. I don't want to lug around $250 headphones unnecessarily.

From what I've seen from you guys so far, the HD 580's for around $120 used would be the best headphones under $170 or so, especially since I'll be using them mostly on my computer.

I looked around for Beyerdynamic DT 880s, as I don't think I'm interested in any cans other than those from beyerdynamic. I think I could get a pair in excellent condition for about $175 shipped.
if you buy new, you could always buy both, and return the one you don't want. sometimes that's the only way to audition some of these headphones when no local stores carry them on display.

As for needing an amp :rolleyes:
my headphones do not really benifite from my little PA2V2 compared to being powered by my audigy 2 zs.

I should do that, just purchase a pair, try em out, and send em back in if I don't like them. I would love to just go to an audio store and listen to all the different headphones, but I don't know of any stores that carry $200+ headphones, or a wide selection.

Is there that much of a difference between in audio quality between the HD 555s and the HD 580s or HD 595s? I personally have had my eye on the HD 555s, but the fact that they are grouped into the "cheaper" headphone group is kind of a turn-off. I can get the HD 580s for only $20-25 more, but they are supposedly typically much more expensive.

I will probably end up buying a Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS card sometime when they're on sale for like $2 AR :p I'm not sure if spending $96 on a X-Fi is worth the money. I guess I could make a whole new thread comparing the Audigy 2 ZS to the X-Fi :)

yellafella321 said:
both www.ttvj.com and www.headphone.com offer 30 day money-back returns. You can audition the headphones and keep the one you want.
Still have shipping costs though. Would be best to find a store in my area that carries these headphones. There has to be a store somewhere, I am in the Washington metropolitan area, afterall. It's not like I'm in North Dakota.

the 580 is a representative of senn 'house' sound. They are laid back and if you like that sound, you can go up the ladder with 600 and 650. If you like classical, this is the can, so im told. Personally i dont like this sound as i feel like in 5th row and no matter how high you turn up the vol, you still feel far from the music.

the 555/595 are a different. These are more in your face, like holding up two satalite speakers 2 inches from your ears. I prefer this sound. The 595 is a continuation from the 555 and it provides clearer details, better bass, better range. There are a few places like J&R audio that have a 30 day money back gaurantee so you can always get both for a week or so and return the one you dont like.

hmmm I think I'm getting sold on the HD 555s so far... especially the price :) I can get a pair for $88 shipped on eBay.

Alright, well I have a guy who's willing to sell me his Sennheiser HD 580 headphones for $100 plus shipping. They were "bought 1999, used 1 year, then sealed in plastic bag to protect from dust/humidity, and not used since." He says they are in very good condition.

So for the same price I can get either the 580s or the 555s. Which shall I go for?

jesusfr3ak4evr said:
Alright, well I have a guy who's willing to sell me his Sennheiser HD 580 headphones for $100 plus shipping. They were "bought 1999, used 1 year, then sealed in plastic bag to protect from dust/humidity, and not used since." He says they are in very good condition.

So for the same price I can get either the 580s or the 555s. Which shall I go for?

I like my 580s but with no amp they won't sound that great out of a soundcard or speaker headphone jack. Still they are more refined than the 555s(in theory).

The HD580 is 90-99%(subjective) of the hd600 which was sennheiser's flagship headphone for the last few years until the hd650 was released. Regardless of manufacturer, the HD580 is probably the best value in headphones that you can get. However, it really needs an amp to shine(even a 60$ PA2V2 would be fine), and as mentioned earlier, has the classic "house" sennheiser sound which is very laid back. It is fantastic for classical/jazz/piano music. Not that its bad for other genre's, but this is where it really shines.

The HD555 is a more all-round headphone and does have a bit more of an in-your-face feel. They are designed to be used unamped and is more of a middle-of-the-line headphone. You may or may not feel buyers remorse wishing that you had spent a little extra on the 595's.

Ultimately, its up to you.

OK, now I didn't mean to limit myself to only Sennheiser headphones, I just hadn't seen any headphones that I thought competed favorably in my eyes (until now). I was surfing the forums and noticed someone mentioned these headphones are great for gaming, maybe one of the best gaming headphones. Well, I'm a CS: Source player, so these look very appealing to me.

The Audio-Technica A900 headphones are for sale for $189 plus shipping.

http://www.audiocubes.com/product_info.php?products_id=317

5-40,000 Hz, oh my! I can't say I like the way they look as much as the Sennheiser HD 595 headphones, but wow... that's a lot of favorably reviews! So now I'm debating between these and HD 595s...

ok so I can get the Audio-Technica A900s for $198 shipped vs $178 shipped for new HD 595s. The specs for the A900s look better than the HD 595s, but I really need some sort of review for a comparison. *looks*

if you going to go with a900 vs 595, i think its pretty easy to decide. If this will be your main can and you play fps games alot like 60% usuage, and watch movies, go with the a900. However if you are listening to mostly music, id say go with the 595. I came to this conclusion having experience with the a500/a900 and the 555/595. I say A-series for games and movies because they have better bass, bigger sound stage and better audio positioning. I say the 595 for music because its more balanced while the a900 suffers from slightly recessed mids. If you had the vol at 80% the mids incl vocals would be around 70ish %. Unfortunately if this bugs you, there is no quick fix, if you turn up the vol, the mids get drowned out even more. EQ, and some gear changes helps but wont fix it all. However this recessed mids is only really apparent in the fast music like electronica but slower music like R&B its an almost non issue. Also the recessed mids things to be less of an issue when you go up the ladder such as going from an a500-a900.

seems to me like your just looking for the best price out the lot. They are all quality cans so i suggest you get the cheapest one. That way if you dont like it you sell or return it and you wont take much of hit.

I'm looking for the best headphones for my purposes. At first I'll be using the headphones solely with my pc, then later I plan to buy an mp3 player (80GB), so the headphones need to work without an amp with that. I play an average of an hour of CS: Source every day, and listen to an average of 2 hours of music everyday. I am a very competitive CS: Source player, so I care about positioning a lot.

From what I hear, the Sennheiser headphones need a better cable than what they come with. All of the reviews I've read compare the A900s favorably with the Sennheiser HD 600 line of headphones, and the HD 595 is not even at that level. I'm thinking of going with the A900s right now, still researching though :)

Just a few differences I'm noting from the Audio-Technica A900s and the Sennheiser HD 595s:

A900: 5-40,000 Hz vs 595: 12-38,500 Hz
A900: 40 Ohms vs 595: 50 Ohms
A900: better cables vs 595s
A900: better soundstage and positioning than HD 595

I really can't imagine how the A900s could be bad for music... I mean, they're $200 headphones. :p The question is how much worse the HD 595s are for gaming compared to the A900s.

Something I just read in a review ( I'm paraphrasing): The Audio-Technica Ath-a900 headphones are probably the best sounding non-amplified headphones available on the market today. The fact that they're great for gaming nearly seals it for me. I just need to test them in a store!

Does anyone know any stores that will let me try out headphones from in the store? There's bound to be one of them near me.

A900 are for japans domestic market so you prolly wont see any B&M store carry them anytime soon. I hear the ad700 is exported to countries tho. To get a900s you have to either go to japan,buy them used or go to online place that imports them like bluetin, audiocubes, or pricejapan. I have bought my a500 from audiocubes. I think it was 9 bucks shipping 7 days from osaka to CA with no customs fees.

10 ohms means nothing. Both are already low-impedance phones and do just fine without an amp.

Neither of the headphones uses a particular "good" cable nor "bad" cable. The 595 cable is not worse than the a900 nor is it better, they are just different and suited towards their sound.

Both headphones have very good soundstage, neither will really give you an advantage for your games.

The difference: OPEN headphone vs. CLOSED headphone.

You cannot really compare because of that.

Also, a900's have very recessed mids.

If gaming is your thing, go with the a900's.

Just a personal grudge with audio technica's. I have a900's and found the 3d wing support system is fragile. I'm personally not a fan of it and prefer a solid band.

ahhh open vs closed, I didn't think of that largely because my room is silent most of the time. That's really a non-issue for me, however.

This is such a difficult decision. :(

if it helps any: the hd 595's come with a pretty neat headphone stand haha, if you don't want it i'd buy and that'd make em even cheaper? lol.

you can get new hd 595's for about 180 shipped, new a900's will cost you about 210 shipped though.

Also, a900's have a FANTASTIC resale value. Keep good care of them, and you can easily resell them for 185 or so. The hd595's take a bit more of a hit to their value over time.

I am currently looking at headphones in the same price category.
Comparing Beyer DT 880/DT770 and Senn HD 595.(Audio Technica prob not avail where i am).

I see the Beyer DT 880 and DT 770 have an impedance of 250 Ohm and Senneiser has 50. Will the front panel of an x-fi fatal1ty be enough to drive these Beyer headphones enough or do you NEED an amp for these?

I do alot of FPS gaming, movies, and listen from heavy drumnbass to ambient electronic music (pretty much need all qualities of a good music headphone with full bass and clean mids).

From my knowledge of headphones, those beyers are really designed for an amp. Will they work ok without one? Sure, but they won't reach anywhere near their full potential without an amp. The Sennheisers, despite being at 50 Ohms, could also benefit somewhat from an amp, but they are not designed to require an amp to use.

I decided on the HD 595s and purchased a used but excellent condition pair on a FS/Trade forum for $135 shipped (no headphone stand included). I chose the Sennheisers because, since I absolutely could not make up my mind on a pair of headphones, I simply chose the lowest price of the two. There are a few other reasons also, but that's the most important reason. I'm sure I will not be disappointed.

Thanks. So does anyone have any experience with beyer dt 880 vs senn hd 595 ampless?

dt 880 should never be used ampless

the dt770 however comes in low impedance models that sound great without an amp.

Back