Which screen size (hiDPI) for coding?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by idont, Jan 12, 2018.

1. idont

idont n00bie

Hi,

I only use my monitor to code with netbeans on Windows10. So the most crucial factor is high **font** readability. I use my screen 8+ hours per day so I cannot have blurry text, tiny font or grainy AG coating.

I would like to upgrade to 4k.

1) Which size do you recommand? 27 or 32
    2) Which percentage (Windows scale) do you use?
    3) Do you recommand a monitor (I have no budget constraint). My short list: EIzo EV2785, Dell U2718Q, Dell UP3216Q. But I am open to better monitors.
    4) How many lines (netbeans) do you display? Currently I have 54 lines with a standard netbeans config and 1 line Windows taskbar.

Thanks a lot.

2. ors

ors n00bie

If the budget wasn't a problem I for sure would go 32 inch 4k (am using a 32 inch 1440p monitor now for coding). Had a 27 inch 4k at home for testing, it could be used with 150% scaling but I found 175% scaling to be more comfortable. Fonts were beautiful on that display, but I think 32 would be very good as well and find that size better for programming since you have more vertical space. So on 32 inch that would be 125% scaling usable and 150% scaling for comfort.

I was looking at LG mostly since their monitors seem to be reasonably priced. The 27 I had at home was the LG 27UD58-B. It also has a VA sibling 32UD59-B, for programming that is a cheap entry, not the best monitor for gaming and mixed workloads though. They recently also launched 32 IPS versions though. Would stay away from any AUO 32 inch AHVA (IPS flavor) panels since they are reported to have some electronics flaw (like Benq PD3200U you can read up on it in another post).

idont likes this.