Which SATA port do I use for the SATA DVD drive?

I'm going to be assembling my new build tonight and I don't know which SATA connection to put the SATA dvd drive into the motherboard. I got a ASUS p8p67 Pro mobo, I come from IDE dvd drive so I am a bit confused as to which ones to plug into. I will be putting my SATA HDD in a RAID0 configuration. Do I put the SATA DVD drive in the 3g/s Sata and have the 2 HDD on the 6gb/s SATA? Is this right?

There are issues with RAID on some of those ports - check some threads here for details, because I didn't pay close attention (just that it works on some and not others). As far as the DVD drive goes, I found that putting mine on the 6G ports (Intel) caused slow boots, so now I have all my drives on the 3G ports and it works great.

I'm going to be assembling my new build tonight and I don't know which SATA connection to put the SATA dvd drive into the motherboard. I got a ASUS p8p67 Pro mobo, I come from IDE dvd drive so I am a bit confused as to which ones to plug into. I will be putting my SATA HDD in a RAID0 configuration. Do I put the SATA DVD drive in the 3g/s Sata and have the 2 HDD on the 6gb/s SATA? Is this right?
The 6g ports don't support raid as far as I know and neither do the Marvell controller. So, the Navy Blue and Gray connectors are offline. The Navy Blue also do not support optical drives.

What you need to do is either run the DVD drive on the 6g port, or put them in one of the 4 3g port, then run the 2 raid-0 drives in 2 of the 4 3g ports. You won't be able to get into Windows unless you do a ctrl+I and at least allow the utility to see non-member drives. This is also where you choose the member hard drives and configure them as raid 0.

That's some good information to know. Currently waiting on the 8pin extension on my PSU so that i can get this build going. So i'll plug the dvd drive in the 3g port and also for the raid0 drive on the 3g port as well. in what situation do i want to use the 6g port for?

Back