Which RX 5700 XT?

bagelnagel

Weaksauce
So I got a Caselabs BH7 case from someone here, and it's an awesome case. I'm limited in GPU choices because the clearance with fans is 282mm. Looking at what's out there, I've narrowed it down to two choices:

1. Powercolor RX 5700 XT Red Dragon
2. Sapphire Pulse RX 5700 XT

Any thoughts or opinions on either one?

Many thanks in advance.

There would be no discernible performance, noise, or thermal difference, so it's down to looks or brand preference. Warranty is 2 years for both. Personally, I'd go with Sapphire over Powercolor.

There would be no discernible performance, noise, or thermal difference, so it's down to looks or brand preference. Warranty is 2 years for both. Personally, I'd go with Sapphire over Powercolor.

May I ask why? I've never had a card from either.

Powercolor… They are making strides this time around and they are active on reddit. I have a red devil and the look, feel and design is top notch. Plus it can be flashed to an XT Bios easy.

Reactions: N4CR
like this
May I ask why? I've never had a card from either.

Just a personal preference. For non-reference (AIB) GPUs, I trust Sapphire's component and build quality more than Powercolor. Still, I have no doubt either one would work fine well beyond its warranty.

And I say this as someone whose only GPUs are two Powercolor branded reference 5700 XTs (in different PCs since sadly crossfire is all but dead.)

Just a personal preference. For non-reference (AIB) GPUs, I trust Sapphire's component and build quality more than Powercolor. Still, I have no doubt either one would work fine well beyond its warranty.

And I say this as someone whose only GPUs are two Powercolor branded reference 5700 XTs (in different PCs since sadly crossfire is all but dead.)

Watch the recent buildzoid analysis. The Red Dragon has a better PCB and VRM than the Nitro +.

Watch the recent buildzoid analysis. The Red Dragon has a better PCB and VRM than the Nitro +.

While that may be the case, I'm looking at the Dragon and Pulse versions - is there a great difference in PCB layout and quality between those versions?

it does but both are still overkill.. both are well within their efficiency curves given that overclocking does very little to increase performance.

either way powercolor and sapphire are pretty close to the same in build quality when it comes to their high end series cards so you can't really go wrong with either of them.. at the end of the day price/cooling/aesthetics are going to be what matters the more.

What sirmonkey said. You won't find the limit of either VRM..
Personally I like beefy electronics overkill like AMD ref boards so would err towards Red Devil unless Pulse looked lot better all else equal.

I went with the Pulse because everyone has said they have great warranty service if needed. Also the TriXX software sounds promising.

So upon further review, it seems I can add another card to that list - Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Gaming OC. According to the specs, it sneaks fitting into the Bullet BH7 (GPU length max 282 mm with fans, card is 280 mm). I saw GN ranked it as their best overall card. Any thoughts regarding this one?

So upon further review, it seems I can add another card to that list - Gigabyte RX 5700 XT Gaming OC. According to the specs, it sneaks fitting into the Bullet BH7 (GPU length max 282 mm with fans, card is 280 mm). I saw GN ranked it as their best overall card. Any thoughts regarding this one?

not a bad card. sits pretty equal with the pulse but has the advantage of being a narrower card if your case doesn't support cards like the pulse/nitro+ and doesn't have a half ass cooling solution on the GDDR6 like some of the higher priced cards.

Not powercolor if you OC even with their software they will tell you that you voided your warranty.

If anything, I'd probably UC these cards looking at how quickly the efficiency tanks once you bump the clocks.

Back