• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Which RAM for over clocking?

Josh5m

n00b
Joined
Apr 13, 2004
Messages
10
Which type of RAM should I use to over clock a ASUS p4c800 E- Deluxe mother board 800 FSB and a Intel Pentium4 2.8C 800 FSB?
I was looking at Crosair XMS ddr400 ram, but I still am not sure. Thanks :D
 
If you want to overclock and keep the proc and memory running synchronously (1:1 clock ratio), then you need fast RAM, like PC3700, PC4000, etc.

PC3200 is the minimal speed RAM you need to run the P4 Northwood Cs with 800 Mhz FSB.

I'd recommend some PC3500 low latency RAM. You'll eventually have to use a divider (like 5:4) to overclock to higher FSBs, but from what I've experienced and seen, memory with tighter timings allow for better OCs than fast RAM, though in real life, the timings might not affect it enough to be very noticeable (except in benchmarks).

I'd say either Corsair XMS PC3500, or Mushkin Level I PC3500. Kingston HyperX is also good.
 
If you want to run dividers at FSBs over 250 you need some non ch5 ram, so your only choice of low latency ram becomes mushkin's 222 special, and that will be gone soon.
 
Bh-5.. oh wait, i just remembered, cast timings don't matter a penny with intel chips. Get some ch-5, and run the shitties timings you like, they get hidden in p4's pipeline anyway.
 
ras to cas is the most important timing and it does make a difference. (and the only chips that can do ras to cas 2 are bh5 and bh6)
 
Back
Top