• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Which PSU (I've got a list in here!)

Demon10000

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 20, 2006
Messages
4,502
A friend of mine purchased a PC from some "build it yourself" place. He's got a problem with the PSU where it makes a noise and the fan light is flickering. I told him to talk to the company he bought it from and they've offered to replace it with one of the following. I've no clue about these brands as I've never hread of them (other than the Thermaltake). What's the better PSU?

800 Watts Power Supplies
-- CyberPowerPC XF800S Performance ATX 2.0 Power - Quad SLI Ready [+0]

850 Watts Power Supplies
-- In-Win Commander IRP-COM850 SLI/CrossFireX Ready 80 Plus Modular Active PFC [+0]
-- CoolerMaster Silent Pro [+23]
-- Thermaltake TR2 RX-850 PSU (850w modular 80+) [-12]
-- Thermaltake W0131RU ToughPower 850 Watts- NVIDIA GTX 8800 Certified [+87]
-- Ultra X4 U12-40503 ATX Active PFC 80+ Bronze Fully Modular (Black Color) [+79]



Thanks for the help!
 
The Cyberpower and In-Win brands are probably stay away froms, the other 4 are again hit or miss brands. Look them up on the HardOCP main site and/or JonnyGuru's site.
 
Well, the ultra x-4 is a pretty decent power supply, and its modular. Wouldn't be my first choice but most likely my first choice on that list. The Thermaltake has a kinda weird model number, doesn't match up with either of JonnyGURU's reviews so kinda wondering about it (although neither shows as a great unit).
 
Both of the Thermaltakes and the In-Win are CWT. The Ultra X4 is a CWT ripoff made by Andyson.
The Coolermaster is an FSP.

I'd be fine with any of them except for the Cyberpower
 
If your friend is going to have to spend $80-90 on a questionable power supply he would be better off just buying one direct for the same price or $20 more. Depending on the system specs he could get by with less than 800 watts. A quality 650W power supply would be a better choice than a questionable 850 watt one. I'm partial to Corsair's power supplies myself, but in the $100 or less range you can find quite a few power supplies that will offer better performance for your friend than what the boutique seller is going to put in there for the same price.
 
I agree with both of the above posts. Rather than getting a mediocre PSU, I would suggest just buying a quality unit up front. Some very good choices would be the Seasonic M12D 850W or the Corsair 850HX.
 
At the 850W level there a few good single rail modular ones like Corsair 850HX (I just got one and LOVE) and OCZ Z Series
 
I suppose the price next to them is what he would have to pay to get the new one?
So he wouldn't have to pay anything for the InWIN, only $23 for the Coolermaster or get $12 in return for the TR2 RX-850.

All of those are perfectly good quality PSUs....if he can get any of them for free or only $20 more, then I think it would be kind of stupid to just go out and spend $180 on a new PSU....unless he gets the new one from Cyberpower and then sells it...or unless he just really wants one of those PSUs.

I would say that the only PSU of "questionable quality" that you mentioned in the original post was the Cyberpower.
 
I was under the impression he didn't have to pay anything for the power supply, and that was a copy/paste from the website build-your-computer page.

-- Thermaltake TR2 RX-850 PSU (850w modular 80+) [-12]

Thats what made me think that, but if he has to pony up for a new PSU then no way would I put out the cash out for any of those when you can find some really nice power supplies in the $100 dollar range. Or I guess he could just take the In-Win, don't know much about them though.
 
I was under the impression he didn't have to pay anything for the power supply, and that was a copy/paste from the website build-your-computer page.

-- Thermaltake TR2 RX-850 PSU (850w modular 80+) [-12]

Thats what made me think that, but if he has to pony up for a new PSU then no way would I put out the cash out for any of those when you can find some really nice power supplies in the $100 dollar range. Or I guess he could just take the In-Win, don't know much about them though.

Except for the Cyberpower...all of the PSUs he has in the original post are worth more than $100
 
Back
Top