• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Which program should I believe for my temps?

CLock3

Gawd
Joined
Oct 9, 2007
Messages
898
The other day I started up SpeedFan and I noticed that it had the little flame next to my CPU core temps. They've always been fine until now, so I'm not sure what happened. Also, I'm getting different temps from different programs. Intel TAT and SpeedFan are the same, but the PC Probe program says it's cooler, and if I recall correctly, when I checked the BIOS, it showed the same temp as PC Probe. So I'm not sure what's right, and if SpeedFan and TAT are right, are the temps really too high? Also, I did notice that the PC Probe temp and BIOS are the same as the "Temp 1" in SpeedFan. Not sure if it's coincidence, or are my sensors messed up or something? Thanks in advance. Here's a screenshot of the programs as well.



EDIT: Forgot about CoreTemp as well. CoreTemp agrees with SpeedFan and TAT. Thanks again.
 
You may notice that PC Probe is reading exactly 10C less than your hottest core in SpeedFan; it's actually measuring the Tcase, the temperature of the CPU's case, which is approximated as being -10C from the hottest core (since you don't have a temperature probe on top of the CPU). The BIOS is also reporting the Tcase, and it's probably Temp1 in SpeedFan.

So none of the programs are 'wrong' as such, but it's more normal to monitor the core temperatures directly. (Actually, TAT is designed for mobile processors and this can mean it's slightly off, and SpeedFan was known for underestimating cores by 15C on many processors, so CoreTemp is often considered the gold standard.)
 
i use everest ultimate, its compatible with vista 64 bit and its pretty easy to use
 
You may notice that PC Probe is reading exactly 10C less than your hottest core in SpeedFan; it's actually measuring the Tcase, the temperature of the CPU's case, which is approximated as being -10C from the hottest core (since you don't have a temperature probe on top of the CPU). The BIOS is also reporting the Tcase, and it's probably Temp1 in SpeedFan.

So none of the programs are 'wrong' as such, but it's more normal to monitor the core temperatures directly. (Actually, TAT is designed for mobile processors and this can mean it's slightly off, and SpeedFan was known for underestimating cores by 15C on many processors, so CoreTemp is often considered the gold standard.)

It seemed to me he was using a dual core form those pics unless i missed something? Is CoreTemp the best for quad core also. I will be getting a Q6600 G0 soon and was wodnering this myself.
 
Well, those temps are all from idle, so I'm a bit on the hot side?

that is way to hot. i would remount that heatsink and reapply your tim. I have an e6750 at 3.6 that's load temp is lower than that. What heatsink are you using? and voltage?
 
The HSF is an AVC (http://www.avc.com.tw/products/Z9H741K.htm). And as far as the voltage goes, I haven't changed it, but I did bump the CPU up to 3GHz using the BIOS' overclocking utility. It automatically adjusts the settings for you. Like you have the option of 5% OC, 10% OC, etc. So that may have adjusted it? Also, for thermal compound, what is the stuff everyone loves? Arctic Silver 5, right? I was thinking about getting that and putting some on. What should I use to clean the current stuff off the CPU and HSF?

EDIT: Should I pick up some ArctiClean stuff (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835100010), or is there another solution that I can get somewhere and not have to pay shipping and wait for it? The Arctic Silver 5 I can get at RadioShack or something, but not the ArctiClean.
 
Just wanted to add, I just ran Prime95 to get some load temps and looks like the highest they got according to CoreTemp and TAT was like around 63C. I ordered some ArctiClean and Arctic Silver 5 as well, so when that comes I'll reapply the HSF with that, and then see if that helps.
 
as5 or ceramique would be best. You can clean off the current stuff with rubbing alcohol and paper towels or something similar. look up a guide for applying the new paste, thin is good.
 
Back
Top