• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

which processor for my htpc?

jhhack

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 14, 2003
Messages
178
I have 100 bucks to spend on a processor for my newly pieced together HTPC.

Its going to be a full atx size, well just because thats the board i pretty much got for free, so I'm going to use it. ASUS M4A785TD-V EVO AM3 AMD 785G Size isn't a major issue for me, as I have plenty of room in my living room for a mid tower.

I've also gotten a 5670 xfx ati card to use in this box.

My question is, for 99 bucks stopping my micro center which processor should i pick up.
Phenom II X3 Triple-Core Processor 720 Black Edition Boxed
or
Phenom II X2 555 Black Edition Processor Boxed

Obviously the x3 has an extra core, uses more voltage, but also has a lower clock speed. Being the same price I'm not sure which chip is better for my needs.

I will primarily be playing 1080p content, bluray disks, some bluray ripping (time to time not likely on this box) and MAYBE a low end game for the kiddies.

I'd appreciate any advise on how my 100 would be best spent for use in this htpc.
 
I like the sempron but it drags in 7mc media browser. It's not as snappy as I want it to be so I upgraded it to an Athlon X2. Unless you want to chance unlocking one.
 
Back
Top