Which power supply for my rig?

espn2829

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 23, 2005
Messages
167
I will build a rig around a Epox and 7800GT. I have been having a tough time deciding on a PSU. Please help.

I have narrowed it down to my final choices:

Antec NeoHE 500 500W Power Supply -
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103940

FSP Group (Fortron Source) AX500-A ATX12V 500W Blue Storm Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817104934

ENERMAX Noisetaker EG495P-VE SFMA ATX 485W Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103457

ENERMAX Whisper II EG565P-VE FMA(24P) 535W Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103512


I will be overclocking so I need a stable power supply which can take a lot of load and still be absolutely stable. These are my final choices since they seem to be relatively well priced and deliver best bang for the buck.

Out of these, which would suit my needs best?

Thanks :p
 
davidhammock200 said:
The bottom 3 are all fine, but forget the new Antec Neo HE's until they get the bugs worked out. ;)
Thank you :D

I was vary of the Antec Neo HE, now I am certain.

So which one out of the bottom three would you pick? :p
 
I just got the ENERMAX Whisper II EG565P-VE FMA(24P) 535W V2.01 Power Supply to replace my Neo 480 that started having issues. I've only had it for a few days, but I've punished it with Prime95 for about 12 hours and everything appears to be fine.
 
<snip>
espn2829 said:
CompuDrew, cool, that really helps my decision. Does this PSU run cool and quiet?
It's very quiet and seems to run average temps.
 
CompuDrew said:
<snip>
It's very quiet and seems to run average temps.
Thats great to know :p. Quiet and cool usually means higher efficiency? am I right?

Also, how does the Enermax Noisetaker 485W and the Fortron Blue Storm 500W compare to the 535W Whisper?

The Fortron 500W was my original choice but I believe it only has 25A on the 12V, so its not that powerful.
 
Pr3z said:
I bought this one..

Has great cooling, plenty of power and has been doing really well. The adjustble fans is awesome so you can make it quite or loud depending on your needs for cooling it. and it has three fans to keep it cool.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817148008
Relative to the PSUs listed in the original post, the Aspire is junk. Not recommended.

Looking at the AspireUSA site, this PSU features a +12V load regulation of 10%! Pityful...
 
davidhammock200 said:
Junk, scrapt it! :eek:

Ok looks like I got pwnt then. I don't know much about powersupplys.

Hrmmm guess I will look at upgrading to one of the above ones maybe.
 
Does anyone know how much efficiency does the Enermax Whisper 535W has?

Also, how does the Whisper compare to the Noisetaker and the Fortron Blue Storm?
 
espn2829 said:
Does anyone know how much efficiency does the Enermax Whisper 535W has?

Also, how does the Whisper compare to the Noisetaker and the Fortron Blue Storm?
The ATX12V2.01/2 spec calls for a min of 70%. ;)
 
davidhammock200 said:
The ATX12V2.01/2 spec calls for a min of 70%. ;)
So the minimum will be 70%? Thats the same as the Antec TruePower 550W, which I did not want due to its poor efficiency.

If the Whisper's efficiency is around 70%, then I wont buy it.

How about the Noisetaker series?

This Enermax Noisetaker 485W seems to be a different Noisetaker than the one mentioned in the original post. I think it has PFC if Im not mistaken? So does this mean higher efficiency and cooler operation?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...03458&ATT=Power+Supplies&CMP=OTC-pr1c3grabb3r

According to SilentPC, the Fortron Blue Storm is one of the most efficient power supplies. I am leaning towards that because all these Enermax power supplies are really making this too hard.

Can the Fortron Blue Storm handle a heavily overclock system?

This is getting very difficult ... :cool:
 
Does the Enermax PSUs with the AX in their name have higher efficiency than the ones that dont?

Very curious.
 
davidhammock200 said:
Active PFC actually lowers efficiency by about 2%. :eek:
ok which power supply is more efficient, an Enermax Noisetaker 485W or the Enermax Whisper 535W?

Also, will efficiency really be noticeable on my next electric bill? :)
 
espn2829 said:
ok which power supply is more efficient, an Enermax Noisetaker 485W or the Enermax Whisper 535W?

Also, will efficiency really be noticeable on my next electric bill? :)
Probably within 2% of each other &
unless you have a few dozen of these running, I doub it will effect your electric bill.
 
_Korruption_ said:
Relative to the PSUs listed in the original post, the Aspire is junk. Not recommended.

Looking at the AspireUSA site, this PSU features a +12V load regulation of 10%! Pityful...

Absolutely the Aspire isn't nearly as up to snuff as those others, but that model isn't really so much "junk" as it is "false advertising." That Aspire is 100% a 400W power supply. And at 400W the regulation is easily within 5%. But to even get close to 520W with 35A on the 12V rail, you would have to allow for a 10% tolerance.

Stupid. Absolutely moronic. I hate when these companies feed on individual's ignorance. Aspire could've been the good guy and sold a solid 400W.. but instead they jack up the price and label it a bogus 520W. :(
 
davidhammock200 said:
Active PFC actually lowers efficiency by about 2%. :eek:

Yep. The active PFC module alone generates INSANE amounts of heat. One time I had a PSU with a PF of 1. Not .99. Dead on 1. But the heatsink on the transistor on the PCB for the PFC was radiating more heat than the heatsinks on the transistors that regulated the voltage for the PSU!

For that reason, I actually recommend against Active PFC unless it's required (like in the EU/UK, etc.)

Sometimes though, a particular PSU isn't available without PFC. :(
 
davidhammock200 said:
Probably within 2% of each other &
unless you have a few dozen of these running, I doub it will effect your electric bill.
good to know because Im looking at the Whisper 535W instead of the Noisetaker 485W because they're basically the same price and the Whisper delivers more power. at least far as I know :D

One more question, if you guys had a choice of these following power supplies, which would you pick? If they were all equalliy priced:

Fortron Blue Storm 500W
Enermax Whisper 535W
Seasonic S12 500W
 
Back
Top