Which portable USB soundcard?

schapman

Gawd
So I'm now in the market for something portable to use with my md33s and my a500s. I've been looking at the following three options to satisfy my needs:

AudioTrak OPTOPLAY:
Pros: fairly cheap ($70CAD)
specs look decent
Cons: Looks kinda big, external power supply

Turtle Beach audio advantage micro:
pros: cheapest ($40CAD)
tiny
cons: lack of features

Creative Audigy2 zs:
pros: lots of features and inputs/outputs
remote
lights... mmmm lights
cons: external psu
heard a couple bad things about the headphone out/amp
cost ($115CAD)

So I'm just wondering... whats the best solution for me? I'm looking for somthing that isnt going to fill me up w/ background noise, has decent detail and bass/power.

ive heard some good things about the Gainward Music2Go is pretty good w/ a nice price. newegg has the sound card alone for 61$USD shipped. they also have the external device w/ 5.1 headphones for 66$USD shipped.

its a USB 2.0 card, supports 7.1, has multiple I/Os, is self-powered, and is relatively compact. it even includes a remote. :)

Music2Go
Including Headphones

schapman said:
I just don't know how much I trust Gainward to make quality audio solutions :)
reviews say its quite nice. im hoping to buy one for myself soon. for the price they may be worth at least seriously looking into.

but i see what youre saying. i dont really trust the taiwaneseians :p that much myself.

otherwise, take a look into the creative audigy 2 zs notebook. fits into the pc card slot and provides surround sound. i think its up to 7.1 also.

I don't think its the tawain factor.. its more... the Gainword factor :) I have no problem buying all sorts of stuff from all over... but gainward just doesnt inspire confidence in me like audiotrak and turtle beach do. Hell.. even creative "feels" better :)

maudio sonica? i dont know.. its the only usb sound card i can name off the top of my head

i just got an audigy 2 nx and watched a 5.1 star wars dvd.... impressed me enough

I have an audigy2 zs... well... had (just sent it for RMA). This is for a second option for just my headphones. I'm also going to be using it at work and around so thats why I wanted a USB one. I ended up ordering the Audiotrak OPTOPLAY last night so I'll see how it goes.

Back