• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Which phone to get

Bbq

King of Charts
Joined
Feb 21, 2006
Messages
12,271
I have the opportunity to upgrade right now. Not september, not october, not november, but Now. Possibly up until August.

I live in Canada, and use Telus. That means no evo3d, no htc arrive, no hd7, etc.

I currently have an HTC Desire. I am not truly loving android, be it stock, sense, miui, whatever.

I cannot wait for the new iphone, if I even want one (Which I do not)

What do I get
 
I have both a Samsung Galaxy S II with Android and a HTC HD2 modded with Windows Phone 7. I used to have a HTC Desire and liked it, but it in no way compares to the Galaxy S II. What was it about Android you didn't like?

I might recommend Windows Phone 7, but to my mind it is REALLY simplistic, and nothing like Android (or even the iPhone) but that seems to be what a lot of people want.
 
Last edited:
the main thing with android is that it's just so unrefined, unpolished, illogical and takes far too long to do anything. It's a phone operating system made by programmers with nearly no sense of logic or consistancy. All the apps for it are inconsistant, uses custom graphics and fonts (comic sans everywhere), or barely work, or just plain don't exist when it has to do something that every other os can do no problem out of the box.
The main draw to wp7 is that it's a consistant and polished ui that simplifies, rather than complicates, without taking away the usability and the power.
Downside: telus only has the 7surround and the focus. :(
 
Is the HTC Desire similar or the same as the HTC Inspire? I have the HTC Inspire and Love it. Its has a big 4.3" screen but is still thin enough so that it is not too bulky. The camera is great. hands down the best phone I have ever owned!
 
Last edited:
Yes, comic sans, specifically override the default settings to ugly it up.
the desire hd is more like the nexus 1 than anything else
 
A lot of third party Apps that replace the even worse stock google apps. Kind of a requirement given how bad stock android is
 
the main thing with android is that it's just so unrefined, unpolished, illogical and takes far too long to do anything. It's a phone operating system made by programmers with nearly no sense of logic or consistancy. All the apps for it are inconsistant, uses custom graphics and fonts (comic sans everywhere), or barely work, or just plain don't exist when it has to do something that every other os can do no problem out of the box.
The main draw to wp7 is that it's a consistant and polished ui that simplifies, rather than complicates, without taking away the usability and the power.
Downside: telus only has the 7surround and the focus. :(

They also have the optimus 7. I don't know which of the WP7 phones are any good though.

Why not just buy a used phone? Here on craigslist a hd7 can be bought for $200-250. Doesn't seem that bad and no contract.

Seems you also have the nexus s available. The galaxy s2 is coming to bell on july 14th and maybe soon after to telus?
 
Nobody seems to sell phones here that are not iphone or blackberry :-(

No thanks to black berry
 
Stock android camera is the worst thing in the world. The replacements are not stunning, but much better

What apps are you finding yourself loathing? I have the Galaxy S with telus (Which I refuse to call the fascinate. ) and it was a piece of garbage until i got off my lazy ass and got MIUI working. Decent camera app, clean interface (Launcher sucked, changed that. ) Reskinnable throught the entire UI (or piece by piece)

Although yes, stock android usually does suck. Unfortunately manufacturer "Visions" tend to be piss poor.
 
What apps are you finding yourself loathing? I have the Galaxy S with telus (Which I refuse to call the fascinate. ) and it was a piece of garbage until i got off my lazy ass and got MIUI working. Decent camera app, clean interface (Launcher sucked, changed that. ) Reskinnable throught the entire UI (or piece by piece)

Although yes, stock android usually does suck. Unfortunately manufacturer "Visions" tend to be piss poor.

Pretty much all of the stock google ones. camera, clock, browser, gmail, contacts, phone, gallery, etc. The replacements are better (camera360, 4-5 apps to replace clock, miren browser or the sense browser, various mail clients, gallery3d, etc), but still very, very lacking.
The HTC Sense versions are about a billion times better, but still nothing to write home about except for the sense 3.0 sms application.

I'll give miui another try, it's been a long time

Most manufacturers suck, the only one that's any good is htc. And even then, it can only do so much when the base is android. :(

Looks like they only have the 7surround and optimus7. bah.
 
Tried it out for a while, yeah, miui just isn't for me. I can see the draw, though.

Back to more looking :\
 
Back
Top