Which P5B

mis3

Gawd
Joined
Jul 4, 2000
Messages
827
I am building a new PC. So far, I have decided on the folloing: C2D-E6600, 2GB of DDR2-800, Asus Extreme AX1950 Pro w/256Mb.

I have good experience with Asus but with so many variations of P5B, which one should I get?

I will OC a little but not much. Currently with my P4-2.2 GHz, I only OC it to 2.4 GHz. I use the PC to browse, MS Office applications (sometimes large spreadsheets), burn CD/DVD, etc. I game a bit but not much.
 
What's your budget?

If it's not an issue get the P5B deluxe for sure.

Also, what ram are you getting?
 
ide recommend saving money..and try building a new system. well it all depends what ur looking for..
 
In Toronto, P5B-DX costs $210 while the P5B-DX-WiFi costs $225. NOt sur eif I will ever

I have not decided which brand of RAM to get yet. My PC supply store offers these:

1. Kingston ValueRAM - Memory - 2 GB ( 2 x 1 GB ) - DIMM 240-pin - DDR II - 800 MHz / PC2-6400 - CL5 - 1.8 V - unbuffered - non-ECC. --- $155
2. OCZ 2Gb (2 X 1Gb) DDR2-900 Dual Channel Special Ops Edition XTC (5-5-5-15) - OCZ2SOE9002GK --- $170
3. OCZ 2Gb (2x1Gb) Platinum Edition DDR2-800 (4-5-4-15) w/XTC Heat Spreaders - OCZ2P8002GK --- $160

I have stated how I use my PC in the initial thread. I guess my requirement is not that high.
 
mis3. If you live in toronto. Ide recommend buying from Pccanada.com They are located in Etobicoke. Off the Lakeshore BLVD West. near 28th street.

Goto their website and look at what they got to offer.. If not. And you feel comfortable buying online.

Ncix.com is a great 2nd source for buying parts. PcCanada.com is much cheaper in pricing when it comes to motherboards and CPUS ;) FYI.

But for Ram. Its all depending on what you want to do.

What is your bugdet for a rig. And Pm me if you need help. GG
 
Like I mentioned in the initial thread, I will use this new PC to browse, MS Office applications (sometimes large spreadsheets), burn CD/DVD, etc. I game a bit but not much.

I would like to OC to get only 10% more CPU power.
 
Not to threadjack, but I'm buying a new computer soon, and the P5B appears to be the go-to board. I also love Asus products, having owned several, so that's all the more reason to go with one of this series. I'm tempted to go with the P5B Deluxe/WiFi because it saves one precious PCI slot. A few reviews have said that it's picky about RAM. Has that been fixed? Also, several people have said that I will have to flash the BIOS to support a C2D CPU. I don't want to have to buy an extra stick of DDR2 that will work with the board just to boot to flash the BIOS.

Have these issues been resolved in a new edition, or am I just going to have to bite the bullet and do a little extra legwork for quality in the long run?
 
I'd save some money and get the P5B-E or P5B-Plus. I've got the P5B non-deluxe and it's been a rock solid motherboard for 9 months. The deluxe version doesn't offer anything more over the vanilla P5B in terms of performance. All the P5B's are excellent overclockers, so doing a light overclock is a cakewalk.
 
I also read that the P5B motherboards were temperamental working with RAM but this was an issue only with extreme OC.

Can someone please clarify?
 
I just put together a PC with the P5B-E about two weeks ago. I got a good overclock with it and it runs pretty good.
My only complaint is the "vdroop" with this board - I have to set the vcore kind of high to account for it. The fluctuating vcore voltage gave me fits trying to get a stable oc with this board.
 
Back
Top