• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Which overclock performs better?

Joined
Nov 30, 2006
Messages
40
E8400
Mushkin Redline 2x2GB PC2-8000 5-5-5-12
Asus P5Q-E

Overclocked to 500x7.5=3.75Ghz with memory running 1:1 at 500mhz 5-5-5-12
Overclocked to 416x9=3.75Ghz with memory overclocked higher than 500mhz fsb with looser timings 5-5-5-15

Thanks!
 
In real-world applications you will see no appreciable difference. I'd go with the second one though, since by using a lower FSB you're putting less strain on the chipset.
 
I had a similar question a while ago and was told not much difference. Personally, I noticed that the higher FSB setting was actually better on my PC at the same CPU frequency.
 
Try it and see.
I found that running a x9 multi and x8 multi with cpu at the same speed gave no measurable performance difference in any games on my E8400 + X38, DDR2-1000.
So I now use x9 with lower FSB to reduce stress and heat on the motherboard and memory.
 
Yeah I ran the full gamut of Everest benchmarks using two combinations w/ my Q6700: 360 x 10 and 450 x 8. In both cases, the ram was set at 1080mhz with 5-5-5-15 timings. Benchmark results were literally like 4% higher with the higher fsb. But running something like super pi 1million didn't make a difference. Also I've never really seen any advantage to running 1:1 fsb:ram ratios either. So IMHO I'd go with the lower fsb and higher multi. In fact, I'm running 360 x 10 right now even though 400 x 9 and 450 x 8 both work for me.
 
Back
Top