Which OS for me?

WhiteGuardian

Limp Gawd
Well I'm gonna be purchasing a prebuilt system that can be loaded with either XP or Vista. This will be a gaming computer pretty much so I was wondering which one I should get. I heard that Vista will drag down your performance, but there are also some games that aren't compatible with XP?(Something with DX9) I'm just worried that if I go with XP for the performance, I will miss some of the new stuff and would be forced to upgrade to vista anyway.

Intel Quad Core Q6600
3 Gig 800mhz memory
Nvidia 8800GT
probably 19 or 20 inch monitor w/ 1440x900 or 1600x1200

Fixed

Hard to know without your budget or PC specs.

If it were me, and I thought I could afford to buy a Vista 'upgrade' license later, I'd get XP. Vista is nice, but not without it's problems and I personally value stability more than most other considerations. If money is an issue, then get Vista. You probably won't have many (if any) issues with it.

With those specs listed, you should have no trouble running vista. I've only ran e6600 with 4 gigs of ddr800 ram and an evga 8800gt superclocked, and ran vista ultimate 64 pretty good so far. You may have some trouble with watching different format videos (mvk, ogm) but you can try codecs or other recommended fixes online (google is your best friend :D)

Yes, vista sucks up more resources, but it does look nicer. It would be good not to start another "vista vs xp" thread, so your best bet is to read up on the other [H] threads that have gone more into depth, especially if there are "problems" for your specific hardware build.

Vista sucks up more resources because it uses the hardware you give it. If you have to buy a new license for the computer, go with Vista. There's little point in buying a 6 year old OS, only to replace it again soon down the road. I'd also go right to Vista x64, and change your memory to 4 GB.

Vista sucks up more resources because it uses the hardware you give it. If you have to buy a new license for the computer, go with Vista. There's little point in buying a 6 year old OS, only to replace it again soon down the road. I'd also go right to Vista x64, and change your memory to 4 GB.

Vista does 'use' the resources, but it does not necessarily use them as efficiently as some would proclaim. There are plenty of benchmarks comparing performance between Vista and XP that show XP is typically faster.

Go with Vista. It supports the DX10 capabilities of your video card and if you ever choose to add another GB of RAM in you can fall back on an install of Vista 64 bit.

Vista does 'use' the resources, but it does not necessarily use them as efficiently as some would proclaim. There are plenty of benchmarks comparing performance between Vista and XP that show XP is typically faster.

While that is true, that gap between Vista and XP is so small now compared to when Vista launched. I been using Vista since the summer and hardly experience any problems with it and play all my games fine. I played Oblivion, Bioshock, Source powered games, COD4, and Company of Heroes with no problems (check sig for specs).

The computer your getting is better then mine so you should have no problems at all running anything you want on it. I say go with Vista, its actually grown on me.

Fiind more "recent" reviews that show vista being so slowed comapred to XP, especially in gaming, most reviews are over 6 + months old now and the few new ones show vista being as fast as XP, in gaming, with sometimes slower performance but rar.

Vista is faster in loading applications - superfetch and has better memory management over all then XP does.

you can also turn off all of those features and essentiall make Vista XP, you cant make Xp vista.

Vista loads things faster because you have more ram available, it will use more ram to make things load faster, it also gets faster over times as opposed to XP which gets slower over time. The only thing I hate with Vista is the indexing, I turned that crap off, I might down the road turn it on, but I hardly ever do any searches and when I do, it's not in the areas it indexes so to me, it is pointless.

Go with Vista, no reason to hold onto an old OS. XP was great and all. I am sure it will go on older machines I have, but not anymore new ones.

Fiind more "recent" reviews that show vista being so slowed comapred to XP, especially in gaming, most reviews are over 6 + months old now and the few new ones show vista being as fast as XP, in gaming, with sometimes slower performance but rar.

Vista is faster in loading applications - superfetch and has better memory management over all then XP does.

you can also turn off all of those features and essentiall make Vista XP, you cant make Xp vista.

http://4sysops.com/archives/vista-sp...y-performance/
http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1332&page=4

And speed isn't the only consideration. I'd rather have a stable OS that takes 4 seconds longer to open Photoshop than a problematic one that loads things fast when it works. That said, Vista has been and will likely continue to iron out most of the issues that plagued it at its release. I just feel it's not ready for prime time. I stand by my recommendation.

I've never had a problem with Vista on any of my computers and I like it alot and I recommend it.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1390&page=3

Another one.

Again, XP is typically faster and less problematic, but Vista is getting better. If I only had enough money to buy one, I would buy Vista if only because in time XP will continue to fall behind and Vista will be the dominant platform. Vista isn't horrible, and chances are you won't run across the issues I have, as most people seem to think I'm crazy when I talk about the problems I've had. I guess it depends on your attitude. If you are the type that can overlook minor issues, or use your computer for typical day to day use instead of for workstation tasks, then you will likely be fine with Vista.

Back