Which of these two should I get?

synack

n00b
I'm having a real hard time figuring out which of these two memories I should get. I've read all the posts here and at Anand, and as some of you can relate I'm still lost.

The first is the OCZ 2x1gb dual channel platinum:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227210

The second are is the crucial value 1gb, getting two of these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146545

I run right now Corsair XMS 3500 2x256 on a Abit IC7 [email protected] with a 260fsb. Eventually I will use this memory for and AMD64x2. I want to match the overclock I am currently getting. I will not overclock the memory itself but need good memory to support the IC7 overclock. I don't game at all and need it for photoshop and running mulitple web design apps simultaneously with VMware. What should I do? Will I still get the same overclock with either of these? Any help will be much appreciated

i dunno if either of those will be able to pull 260mhz, unless you get really lucky
though.. my one stick of crucial value is memtest stable at 270mhz with 3-4-4

the ocz.. i have seen mixed things about them. some put em around 220-230mhz, others a bit more like 250 *shrug*

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to get more responses. I guess I'll go with the Crucial although people have been getting mixed results with that as well

first off 1GB sticks of ram usually dont oc as well as smaller modules but with an amd64 you can use a memory divider without a performance hit, so you dont have to worry about getting memory that can do an insane frequency

from what everyone is saying the crucial value ram is a perfect match for a an a64

I have OCZ and am somewhat ... nevermind, I am quite disappointed.

I have 2 x 1GB Crucial Value sticks on my porch -right now-. I checked online and it'd delivered.

Ok I ordered th Crucial, let's say that I can't get an overclock worth anything. Should I then mix and match my memory and be up to 2.5gb using four slots, or will that cause additional problems or give me a greater perfomance hit since it disable PAT.

i would test each way, but i'm expecting the crucial to overclock decently ;)

Well I was able to OC it at 240FSB stable running two instances of Prime95 for 24 hours. 245 gave errors and 250 would not boot. Not too bad. Thanks for the recommendation (cf)Eclipse.

BTW 2gb makes a huge difference in Photoshop. Thinks are so much quicker now.

240mhz on a 1GB stick for $110 is BAD? What are your timings and voltage?

Russ said:
240mhz on a 1GB stick for $110 is BAD?

That's pretty much the long and short of it...for that price or anything close to it you're going to have a hard time finding anything else that good.

yes.. those results are actually very good....
i have two corsair XMS sticks that can only do 235 max. they also costed more than twice as much as what you paid for the crucial when i bought them.

btw, what voltages are you guys using to hit 240/250/whatever FSB with your Crucial? i think i will mess around with my 512 MB stick tommorrow to see how high it can go...

IIRC they weren't terribly responsive to voltage increases? 2.9V maybe? Not that I actually have any yet, but to hold you over until Eclipse or someone else with them signs on.

Just to clarify, since people maybe under the wrong impression as to how good or not good this is. I'm using a 5:4 divider and running at the default voltage. I have not tried upping the voltage nor have I tried running it 1:1. I have alot of work to do so I need my PC; maybe later I can play with voltages or try 1:1.

for some reason 1:1 245 MHz @ 2.6V is stable for me, but when i put on a 4:5 divider to make CPU 200 MHz and RAM 250 MHz it doesn't boot, no matter the voltage. :confused:
is it because the RAM really can't handle 250 MHz, or something else?

Heh, Synack it's scary how simliar we are. I'm running XMS 3500 2x512 on an IC7 with a [email protected], and I'm looking at the same 1G sticks you are for my new A64 system. What are the memory timings on the Crucials you're running now, and did you add heatspreaders?

bitgod said:
Heh, Synack it's scary how simliar we are. I'm running XMS 3500 2x512 on an IC7 with a [email protected], and I'm looking at the same 1G sticks you are for my new A64 system. What are the memory timings on the Crucials you're running now, and did you add heatspreaders?

Memory timing are 2.5, 7, 3, 3. I did not add any heatspreaders, but I need to. Those Crucials are really plain and ugly. Looks like memory from back in the day. Everything has been stable for about a week now. It 's hard to beat for the price, which was $105 for each stick from Newegg when I purchased a week ago (FYI for those who do a search later on and stumble across this thread)

ashmedai said:
IIRC they weren't terribly responsive to voltage increases? 2.9V maybe? Not that I actually have any yet, but to hold you over until Eclipse or someone else with them signs on.
anything over 2.8v is kinda useless for my 1204mb stick of crucial value unless i'm really looking to push the extra 5mhz out of them :p

Back