• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Which OC software?

QuadMe

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 14, 2010
Messages
166
Afterburner or SmartDoctor?

Will SmartDoctor work with a MSI card? Any compatibility issues with CCC for both software?

Thanks
 
Afterburner is probably the best software for overclocking Radeons. At least, that's until Rivatuner 2.25 is finally released.

Asus Smartdoctor will only work for cards with an Asus BIOS. Unlike MSI, they feel a need to look other brands out. Even if it could work, it's a piece of trash. I couldn't stand it. Not enough features.
 
I haven't really worried about OCing my cards past the standard limit, was thinking about trying it out now.

I have been having a couple problems with afterburner that make me somewhat hesitant.

Afterburner doesn't seem to hold an OC if I have ATI Overdrive disabled.
If I Enable ATI overdrive, my user defined fan profile in Afterburner often doesn't work and sometimes my fans set themselves to the 50% manual speed that Overdrive defaults to, even if i have that box unchecked.

I know about the config edit to Afterburner to enable higher clocks and volts, I was just curious if anyone had any tips for me before I try this out.
 
I have had clocking problems with afterburner as well, I just use afterburner to set the voltage and use ccc to set the clocks.
 
I have had clocking problems with afterburner as well, I just use afterburner to set the voltage and use ccc to set the clocks.

CCC doesn't let you set clocks beyond 900 on the 5870 (without the ASUS bios that is). Don't want to change the bios if I don't have to.
 
Back
Top