which new games RAWK??

stevensondrive

Limp Gawd
I am in the process of building my first computer :D :D :D :D :D :D

it should do ANY new game. so I need to get a game or 2. I love the Civilizations. My present computer won't go past Civ 3 Conquests. So I am pysched about getting some new games. obviously I've been out of the games for a couple years, due to the antique computer.

what games to you suggest?

who is the chepest source?

Battlefield 2 and Doom were the suggestions I've gotten.

Steve :D

That all depends on what kind of game you want...

This should be in the PC gaming section, but anyways...

FEAR is a current favorite
Company of Heroes is a great RTS
My personal favorite with all the eye candy turned up is Far Cry...

Since your old computer sounded positively ancient, I'll just give you a bangout list of titles ranging from good to classic from the relatively recent period (a few throwbacks like the first Max Payne, first Splinter Cell, and first Call of Duty, but they're all worth playing). It's by no means complete (I have terrible memory, and will undoubtedly remember more of them in time).

First Person Shooters
Half-Life 2 and Episode 1
Call of Duty 1 (with United Offensive expansion pack) and Call of Duty 2
Quake 4
Far Cry (although the story really craps out towards the end, I think it's still worth playing)
Counterstrike 1.6 and Source
Doom 3
F.E.A.R.
Star Wars: Jedi Knight 2
Max Payne 1 and 2 (third person shooters really, but so good)
Unreal Tournament 2004
Prey
Serious Sam 1 and 2 (mostly good for LAN Co-op multiplay)

Racing (sim or arcade)
Need for Speed: Most Wanted, and NFS: Carbon
GTR 1 and 2
GT: Legends
rFactor
Colin Mcrae Rally
Trackmania

RTS or turn based
Civilization 4 (not that you weren't already going to get this one ;) )
Company of Heroes
Warcraft 3
Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War
Lord of the Rings: Battle for Middle Earth 1 and 2
Supreme Commander
Command and Conquer 3
Sim City 4
Homeworld 1 and 2
Age of Empires 3

RPG-ish
Knights of the Old Republic 1 and 2
Titan Quest (if you liked Diablo)
The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (Make sure to take advantage of mods like the BT Mod and Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul mod)
Neverwinter Nights 2
Baldur's Gate series
Dungeon Siege 1 and 2

Miscellaneous
Psychonauts (should be played with a gamepad)
Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (should be played with a gamepad)
Splinter Cell 1, Pandora Tomorrow, 2, 3 (skip the fourth installment; I thought it was abysmal compared to 3)
GTA 3, Vice City, and San Andreas

You could probably pick up many of these used or in packs (things like the Call of Duties and KOTOR) for really cheap (or even used) in a store like Ebgames or Gamestop. Alternatively just go to a place like amazon.com where I'm sure most of the titles are in the $10 range.

forget oblivion. if you haven't played Baldur's Gate series get that. Oblivion's story has NOTHING on BG..

Since your old computer sounded positively ancient, I'll just give you a bangout list of titles ranging from good to classic from the relatively recent period (a few throwbacks like the first Max Payne, first Splinter Cell, and first Call of Duty, but they're all worth playing). It's by no means complete (I have terrible memory, and will undoubtedly remember more of them in time).

First Person Shooters
Quake 4
Far Cry (although the story really craps out towards the end, I think it's still worth playing)
Doom 3
F.E.A.R.
Unreal Tournament 2004
Prey

Racing (sim or arcade)
GTR 1 and 2
rFactor
Colin Mcrae Rally
Trackmania

RTS or turn based
Company of Heroes
Warcraft 3
Supreme Commander
Command and Conquer 3
Sim City 4
Homeworld 1 and 2
Age of Empires 3

RPG-ish
The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (Make sure to take advantage of mods like the BT Mod and Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul mod)
Neverwinter Nights 2
Baldur's Gate series
Dungeon Siege 1 and 2

Miscellaneous
Splinter Cell 1, Pandora Tomorrow, 2, 3 (skip the fourth installment; I thought it was abysmal compared to 3)

You could probably pick up many of these used or in packs (things like the Call of Duties and KOTOR) for really cheap (or even used) in a store like Ebgames or Gamestop. Alternatively just go to a place like amazon.com where I'm sure most of the titles are in the $10 range.

awesome list!!!!! :eek: thank you! ;)
I think I actually bought Max Payne and tried to play it but the computer kept crashing. that was when I realized I had reached the limit. I actually have civ 4. it is turned down to the very lowest graphics setting. It will run for a bit before the graphics max out and it starts crashing. the old computer has an empty AGP slot. I figured I'd be better served with whole new computer.

sorry for posting in the wrong section :(

Also check out the Serious Sam games(Serious Sam, The Second Encounter, and Serious Sam 2).

Supreme Commander, Company of Heroes, Battlefield 2 ..

...and one for nostalgia's sake, Deus Ex. :p

forget oblivion. if you haven't played Baldur's Gate series get that. Oblivion's story has NOTHING on BG..

Don't forget Oblivion. BG series has a lot going for it but he's asking about new games, and BG series is pretty damn old. I don't think they need anything better than a 500mhz win98 system to run flawlessly in 800x600 glory.

As previously mentioned, BT mod and OOO 1.3 are highly recommended mods for Oblivion. They transform the game from "good but with flaws " to "most excellent".

It hasn't been mentioned yet, so I'll throw out a suggestion for Thief: Deadly Shadows. It came out a few years ago, but it's somewhat unique compared to what you mostly see on the PC games market. It's good on its own but there are some mods to make it play more like the originals, Thief: The Dark Project & Thief II: The Metal Age.

I've been playing the hell out of BF2142 and like it a lot. I recommend that for a good FPS... ;)

Doom 1 and 2. Forget Doom 3.

Im sure that your old PC could run it but every PC should have Doom installed, old and new.

I am having a lot of fun playing Dark Messiah Might and Magic lately. The sword fighting is great. Another game I just started is the expansion to F.E.A.R., Extraction Point, and while I am not very far into it yet, it has already scared the shit out of me a couple times. Seems like it is shaping up to be as good as the original.

Has anyone played battle stations: midway? I was wondering if it was worth it.

Also check out the Serious Sam games(Serious Sam, The Second Encounter, and Serious Sam 2).

I liked SS1 and Second Encounter but, SS2 sucked to me. I liked Brothers in Arms but, it did piss some people off.

If you liked the Civilization games, I highly recommend Galactic Civilizations. As the name implies, it's Civ in space. The AI is a lot more interesting though.

I liked SS1 and Second Encounter but, SS2 sucked to me. I liked Brothers in Arms but, it did piss some people off.

They were all only really worth playing Coop with a bunch of friends.

First Person Shooters
Quake 4
Doom 3
F.E.A.R.
Unreal Tournament 2004
Prey
Serious Sam 1 and 2 (mostly good for LAN Co-op multiplay)

Racing (sim or arcade)
GTR 1 and 2
rFactor
Colin Mcrae Rally
Trackmania

RTS or turn based
Company of Heroes
Warcraft 3
Supreme Commander
Command and Conquer 3
Sim City 4
Homeworld 1 and 2
Age of Empires 3

RPG-ish
Neverwinter Nights 2
Baldur's Gate series
Dungeon Siege 1 and 2

Miscellaneous

Very good list. I don't think I would add to much too it. One thing I would add is Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines...it's a really good RPG with a great storyline (IMO), very good voice-acting, and very solid graphics seeing that the engine is based off of the Half-Life 2 engine, if memory serves me correctly. Be sure to get the official patch as well as the unofficial patch. They fix alot of the issues that the game had to begin with. Don't forget to use some of the graphical enhancements for Oblivion (i.e. Qarl's Texture Pack, Natural Environments etc.). They can really add alot of immersion to the game even though they can eat up a good chunk of performance.

Don't forget also Frozen Throne...the expansion to Warcraft III. That's another game that's worth mentioning here. Also (just occurred to me) the expansions to Warhammer 40k --> Winter Assault and Dark Crusade. Those both are well worth a play through as well.

Good luck and have fun OP :D

Command and Conquer new for $31.50!! and I don't have to wait for the auction to end to see if I got outbid!! ;)

thanks for the tip :D

Another vote for FEAR....although I played the Xbox 360 version this is one not to be missed on any platform.

Half Life 2 and Counter Strike Source, no question!

Farcry is a great single player FPS and looks really good.

RPG:
I put about 80 hours into Oblivion, then I discovered Dark Messiah of Might and Magic. Its like an 18A version of Oblivion - more violent with better physics. They're both excellent games but I haven't touched Oblivion since I installed Dark Messiah.

FPS - online:
Battlefield 2 and its various expansions stole >250hrs of my life last year. Again I haven't touched it since I installed Battlefield 2142, though I there's still a lot of nostalgia when I think about some of the great maps like Strike at Karkand.

FPS - offline:
I couldn't stop playing Call of Duty 2 until I finished it. The same thing happened to me with Brothers in Arms: Earned In Blood which was very tactical; it gave me goosebumps playing this after watching HBO's Band of Brothers.

RTS:
Company of Heroes is the only RPG that's really grabbed me lately. Probably because I'm a sucker for authentic games set in WWII

Back