Which Nas Solution - OK With DIY

rosco

Gawd
I'm looking to purchase or build a new NAS. I am thinking 2x 4tb drives in raid1 to start.

My needs are pretty basic, mainly just need central storage but I would like to use it as a personal cloud solution as well. So something like bitorentsync etc.

I was thinking xpenology since I like synology hardware I have worked with in the past. Now, I'm wondering if freenas would be better.

I would also like hardware suggestions for a low power system with 4 drive bays.

Thanks

With your performance requests, buy a HP Microserver N36-N54
with 8 GB ECC RAM. It has 4 disk bays + a bay for a 5th disk or DVD.

Use Xpenology if your main interest is comfort and add-ons,
but use anything with ZFS if datasecurity is important at first place.

ZFS is available on BSD (FreeNAS). Linux (ZOL) and Solaris/ OI/ OmniOS.
Best OS integration, one of the fastest NFS and SMB server and the best Windows integration
(Windows ACL permissions, snaps as previous version) is available on Solaris based solutions
(NexentaStor or OmniOS, Solaris opt with my napp-it Web-UI)

I'll second the HP Microserver.

Ubuntu server with ZFS on Linux is what I would use in your case. Pretty damn simple to setup, and lots of information out there about ubuntu OS.

Would crashplan plan run on either/both of these? What would I be missing by going the xpenology route as opposed to the ones you guys mentioned? I thought that as popular as Synology is that using xpenology on your own hardware would be a popular option. Looking around though it seems freenas and others tend to be more popular in addition to what you guys are recommending. Not sure why though.

I have a N54L microserver from another project that didn't happen so I will plan on using that.

Last edited:
Back