Which MS Subscription Service?

djnes

Fully [H]
I'm the only IT guy at a small non-profit, and we were looking to get a subcription service for me to use, to download OS and Server related products to try out, before we put the money aside to buy anything. My choices are, Technet, Action Pack, or some MSDN. What would you guys recommend, for one person to use? One of my main goals is to be able to have a single, fully functional Vista in a few months to try out in our work environment.

I'd normally suggest Action Pack, since it's geared more for OS/Server than for programming.

But then I just read something interesting the other day...

https://partner.microsoft.com/US/program/managemembership/actionpack/40016472

Why doesn't Action Pack include the full version of Windows XP?

In response to feedback we received from partners, and to address piracy and abuse of the Microsoft Action Pack Subscription, Microsoft provides the upgrade version of the Windows XP desktop operating system within Action Pack. This is consistent with how this product is distributed to our Volume Licensing customers. The total number of Windows XP Upgrade licenses will remain at 10.

Which makes me wonder if Vista will be included in future Action Pack releases. It's something to consider.

(and I'm assuming you know about http://www.techsoup.org/stock/default.asp?cg=nav&sg=donated&visit=1)

Action Pack is technically just for MS resellers but would be the cheapest option at only three hundred bucks. It does not however offer downloads. They send you quarterly packages. It is a crapload of software though and includes licenses (for internal use only) for ten copies of most all desktop apps and OS's and at least one license for each server app and OS plus 10 CAL's. You will also get one OEM (any use) version of several apps. The october update did include Vista Beta and hopefully the january update will include release code for Vista. If it's a production released OS you will get it.

This is the current Action Pack contents...

https://partner.microsoft.com/40013779

EDIT - I did not know that about XP Pro. We have subscribed for about 5 years and we have the full version of XP that came with our subscription from a few years ago. I guess you could always load a bogus XP home and then upgrade it to a legit XP Pro.... ;) Not that I would reccomend installing any pirated software.

pigster said:
I'd normally suggest Action Pack, since it's geared more for OS/Server than for programming.

But then I just read something interesting the other day...

https://partner.microsoft.com/US/program/managemembership/actionpack/40016472

Which makes me wonder if Vista will be included in future Action Pack releases. It's something to consider.

(and I'm assuming you know about http://www.techsoup.org/stock/default.asp?cg=nav&sg=donated&visit=1)
\
What was in that last link? The site could locate the content that should have been there.
Thanks.

tesfaye said:
\
What was in that last link? The site could locate the content that should have been there.
Thanks.

techsoup.org - extremely low cost software (and hardware) for non-profits. If you're invovled in a non-profit, you really need to use these guys!

For example, they will sell you Server2003 R2 for $40 - a savings of over $1000

TechSoup does have some incredible deals. We do have an account with them. I was hoping to be able to try out a lot of products with a subscription service, before we place orders with TechSoup. Many of their donating brands put limits on the number of products per year you can order.

djnes said:
TechSoup does have some incredible deals. We do have an account with them. I was hoping to be able to try out a lot of products with a subscription service, before we place orders with TechSoup. Many of their donating brands put limits on the number of products per year you can order.

I've had an action pack for 3 or 4 years now. I think it is a great service. Techsoup is also a great site. Helped one of my clients save a lot of money.

So, the Action Pack sends you copies of the software, rather than let you download it?

djnes said:
So, the Action Pack sends you copies of the software, rather than let you download it?

Yeah, there's an initial package they send you that has pretty much all their server/OS/office stuff, then there are quarterly updates that come by mail.

djnes said:

Yep. Your first shipment will be pretty big. Talking about action packs the OCT shipment gets mailed out tommorrow. MS use to mail out binders to put your action pack stuff in as well but one of the guys I work with ordered his this year for the first time and they didn't give him any. He also had to request the OEM copies of the software as they didn't auto include it. Still a very good deal. It is like 400 the first year, 300 to renew.

pigster said:
techsoup.org - extremely low cost software (and hardware) for non-profits. If you're invovled in a non-profit, you really need to use these guys!

For example, they will sell you Server2003 R2 for $40 - a savings of over $1000
Ahhh. Thanks.

Back