• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

which mp3 player to buy

Joined
Oct 25, 2004
Messages
50
I am planning to but a mp3 player can some one tell me which is the better of the following
1.Creative Labs Zen Touch 20GB MP3 Player
2.Rio karma (20 GB)

the creative one has fm while latter does not have it.
Also suggest good heaphones not too expensive.
 
You need to give more info before anyone can really help you. What sort of things do you want the player to do, etc. There may be choices better suited to you but we can't suggest them because you haven't given us any info.

Anyway, from your choices I personally like the Karma. It's not the prettiest player in the world but it can be found for ~$200, plays ogg and flac, and supports gapless. It isn't usable as a portable hard drive, and I don't know if that's a problem that will ever be fixed, but otherwise it's a strong player. I'm personally waiting for what people are calling the Karma 2, the Rio Chroma...
 
I recommend creative zen just b/c its from creative and my muvo fx 256mb mp3 is badass and my sound blaster audigy 2 zs is even more badass hehe
 
Sigh, i know im beating a dead horse with this but iPod iPod iPod. When will people just get with the program.
 
i want a player having god sound quality and atleast 20 gb space easy interface and a price range of around 200 -250$.also want good quality headphones pls suggest.
 
You want the Karma. It has easily the best quality output of currently availible units that I've heard. IMO, it beats the Creative Zen and the Ipod. I like the quality of the Nomad Jukebox 3 the best, but I'll take the OGG support of the Karma over the small quality advantage of the NJ3 anyday. Of course, all quality judgements are subject to a decent pair of headphones. How much are you looking to spend on a pair of cans?
 
sachintendulkar said:
i want a player having god sound quality and atleast 20 gb space easy interface and a price range of around 200 -250$.also want good quality headphones pls suggest.

The Dell and the Creative Zen Touch are basically the same players, just different navigation. (Scroll vs touch)

I have a Zen Touch and love it, the battery time is great (it lasts 2 weeks, 2 hours a day listening). The headphones that come with it are crap, so you're going to have to accept the fact that you're going to need other ones. Get a pair of Sony EX-71's, these are in-ear phones, which cancell out pretty much all background noise, and sound absolutely stunning (Shure's and some other high cost brands are a bit better, offcourse, but for the price (50€ here, should be about 50 dollars I guess) they are not beaten. I would NEVER go back to non in ear headphones, never. The touchpad of the Zen takes some getting used to, but works really nice once you do. I'd give the iPOD a pluspoint for screen though, the screen is better, brighter than the blue backlit zen's. But for asfar as music quality goes, the Zen Touch is king. (Listened same mp3 on multiple bps on both, iPOD and Zen Touch, with Sony EX-71's)

The Zen Touch IS a bit bulky and heavy though, so if you wan't tiny and light, you might dislike that. I don't mind, and I carry it in my pocket every day.

I have no experience with the Rio, but I wouldn't see how it could be better than the Zen Touch, aside from possibly smaller size. And possibly better headphones included, the zen's are truly terrible.
 
Ogg support is really a killer feature. The codec really does an excellent job at quality 3 (96~112 kbs depending on the material). The quality of Ogg's low bitrate encoding really stretches the 20GB disc.

Of course, with the Karma stock phones (Senn MX 300 earbuds), Ogg is transparent to about quality 2. With upgraded phones, you'll want better quality.

What is your headphone budget, and where/how will you be listening to them?
 
MrPrez said:
Sigh, i know im beating a dead horse with this but iPod iPod iPod. When will people just get with the program.

I hope you realize you sound like some sort of Apple fundamentalist There are other players out there that are better and cheaper than the Ipod. Right now the only thing Apple can hold over other players is a slightly better user interface, but in most other respects, especially price and sound quality, the Ipod simply is nowhere near the best choice.
 
The Touch and the Karma were the two that I looked at most.

In the end it came down to the fact that the Touch didnt have ogg support. I bought the Karma and I really like it alot. Ogg support, great interface (no learning curve... its so intuitive) and nice software (surprisingly)

Both are solid, but the ogg support (and low price) of the Karma won for me. And to my surprise, I've been using the line out on the dock hooked up to my stereo... such a great feature that I never thought I'd use :cool:

edit: and the creative only has radio support when you buy the seperate remote
 
All Reet 74 said:
edit: and the creative only has radio support when you buy the seperate remote
what do u mean by that creative has fm radio support if u buy a seperate remote.isn't the fm tuner in-built.do i have to buy something else ?if yes,how much does it cost.
my budget for headphones is around 30$.
Also i want to know how are these players charged.

ALSO I HAVE HEARD THAT THE RIO KARMA CANOT BE USED AS A PORTABLE HARD DRIVE IS IT TRUE ?LIKE I CANNOT BACKUP MY COMPUTER DATA AND FILES ON IT.
 
sachintendulkar said:
what do u mean by that creative has fm radio support if u buy a seperate remote.isn't the fm tuner in-built.do i have to buy something else ?if yes,how much does it cost.
my budget for headphones is around 30$.
Also i want to know how are these players charged.

ALSO I HAVE HEARD THAT THE RIO KARMA CANOT BE USED AS A PORTABLE HARD DRIVE IS IT TRUE ?LIKE I CANNOT BACKUP MY COMPUTER DATA AND FILES ON IT.

Correct, the Zen doesn't have built in FM radio. You need the remote control, I'm not sure what that costs, but the Dell's remote also works (for asfar as I know, that is).. Who wants radio though when he carries 20 GB of his favorite music with him?

The zen is charged with an adapter, and maybe also through usb, but not too sure on that.
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by tenken
It isn't usable as a portable hard drive, and I don't know if that's a problem that will ever be fixed
.

as said above in the 2nd post in this thread.

I havent yet seen plug and play firmware for the Karma, as I was doing research into getting one recently, and all of the original reviews say that it requires the software to dump music. If you guys say it works though, then that makes it an even better buy :)
 
first of all, of those 2, i'd get the zen touch.
but wait, everyone knows of the creative zen micro, right?
well, if you can wait a little and dont care as much about long lasting battery life, then you could get the creative zen. http://www.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=11519
its the zen micro, in 20 gig capacity. just thought i'd let you know. i've seen the zen touch, and its much more comfortable and much easier to use than the rio karma, imo.

have fun with whatever you get. also, creative typically offers year long warrenties, while rio tends to offer 3 month warranties. keep that in mind.
 
Yes, it plays FLAC. Although, with only a 20gb drive, I'm not sure that I'd want to use FLAC, unless listening to with a really critical pair of cans.
 
With Ogg set to 3, my wife's Karma has ~150 CDs and 8 GB remaining. Those CDs measure about 60 gb losslessly compressed on the fileserver. Ogg 3 is dead easy to spot ABXed against the source in Foobar, but for my wife and the music she listens to, it's adequate.
 
Neuros 20 - 80 Gb!
Upgradeable hd's! (uses laptop hd's!)
Open source firmware!
Built in Fm Radio!
Built in FM transmitter (listen to it in your car!)
Built in recorder (record to .wav or .mp3) from mic or fm radio!
Ogg support (hopefully FLAC in next firmware upgrade!)
Excellent sound quality!

Negatives
Bigger than most due to the fact that it uses Laptop Hd's

www.neurosaudio.com
 
Back
Top