Which MP3 player should I buy?

SamuraiInBlack

Supreme [H]ardness
I've been pondering over a 2GB flash-based mp3 player, specifically in a non-iPod flavor. The ones I've been looking over are the Creative Muvo, the Sandisk C250 and the C150. I'm not sure about the Muvo. Compared price wise at my local Fry's, I want to know what is being skimped on (besides obviously features) that makes it cheaper than the two Sandisks. Which one is the simplest to use?

I'll primarily be using this while mowing the lawn, for when I go walking/running this summer, and while I'm driving, so having support for a line out function to the casette adapter I have, would be nice. (the car I'm driving is old and so beat up its bluebook value is dependent on how much gas is in it, so a new head unit is out of the question)

Wow. Someone in this day and age not having an MP3 player, or at least a portable device capable of playing them at least. How did you manage that? I don't even want a dedicated MP3 player and I ended up with a 5GB Dell Pocket DJ, and every portable I have can play MP3s (even children's toys!).

Anyways, just to be some help, cassette adapters don't need line-out input levels, only headphone. That's the point of them, plug in whatever's headphone port to your stereo. Also, if you haven't used your cassette in a long time, consider getting a cleaning tape for it, as dust can build up inside over the years.

Interface doesn't really matter that much, unless you have alot of songs (in which case 2GB is not really enough), so navigation shouldn't be too much issue.

Honestly, it's because I would like a flash based mp3 player where I can service the battery myself when it needs replacing.

I have the Sandisk 280. I like it and I would have no qualms recommending it to somebody. Its an easy interface to learn I picked it up in about 5 minutes.

I've had the Creative Nomad Muvo 512MB since a couple months after they were released and it's been a great little player. The ability to simply undock the player from the battery and use it as a USB jumpdrive is awesome and that's its primary function around my household. I basically only play mp3's on it when I get bored. I've also tried one of the sandisk models and wasn't too impressed with the audio quality compared to the creative player.

It looks like they removed the FM Tuner in the 2GB version of the muvo which is kindof a bummer. The one I had would let you record off the radio which was really cool if you knew in advance what was going to be played.

So to answer your question, you get better audio quality and battery life with the muvo, however you sacrifice having a multicolor display and FM Tuner. Folder navigation isn't difficult and you should be able to pick up on it very quickly, at least imho.

Sounds like the Muvo is my choice then. I don't really care about a display panel that small having multicolor. To be honest with you, as long as I can read it, it's fine by me. As for the FM tuner, well, I don't really listen to the radio as it is, so I don't think I'll plan on starting. But audio quality is definitely what I want. So, Muvo it is then.

My daughter's each have 1 gig flash players. One has the Creative Nano & the other a Sony. Both have great audio. The Creative uses a AAA battery & the Sony is also a thumbdrive that recharges off the computer.

sandisk's e series is quite nice...with a price drop and the possibility of dropping in a microSD
and not to mention its quite a slick device:D

Have you checked out the Creative Zen Stone? they were just released today (5/15) only thing is they are 1GB and they battery life is 10 hours according to the reviews I've read.

I own a Zen Vision M and will be getting 2 Zen Stones one for me and my gf, actually heading to walmart at 2am to see if they have any on the shelves yet.

Back