Which mp3 maker do you use?

mcravenufo

Ravenufo's Macs
I recently upgraded to Vista x64 and my usual CD to mp3 maker doesn't install. What CD to mp3 maker do you guys use and recommend for Vista x64?

If by "maker" you mean the mp3 encoder, I use LAME. If by "maker" you mean the software involved with ripping/encoding/etc - the entire process - I typically go from actual CD to EAC Burst (it's the same results as Secure as long as the CD isn't scratched - multiple tests will confirm this with checksums; Secure is only useful for scratched/damaged media, so use Burst and save yourself a lot of wasted time and effort). Encoding is passed to the LAME encoder (.exe) of whatever is the latest recommended version, right now I think that's still 3.97.

As far as transcoding, I keep my original CD collection backed up as FLAC files (lossless) and then transcode to other formats (MP3, Ogg, etc) using foobar 2000.

If by "maker" you mean the mp3 encoder, I use LAME. If by "maker" you mean the software involved with ripping/encoding/etc - the entire process - I typically go from actual CD to EAC Burst (it's the same results as Secure as long as the CD isn't scratched - multiple tests will confirm this with checksums; Secure is only useful for scratched/damaged media, so use Burst and save yourself a lot of wasted time and effort). Encoding is passed to the LAME encoder (.exe) of whatever is the latest recommended version, right now I think that's still 3.97.

As far as transcoding, I keep my original CD collection backed up as FLAC files (lossless) and then transcode to other formats (MP3, Ogg, etc) using foobar 2000.

haha...I mean the software suite to rip the CD to mp3. For the encoder I use LAME as well.

CDex is what I use. It has the easiest GUI to use, and it includes LAME, so the quality is as good as anything else with LAME as the encoder.

Back