Which MoBo to go with this computer?

Hot Sauce

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 10, 2005
Messages
154
Hey guys,

My friend wants to upgrade his computer so he can play Starcraft 2. He needs a new motherboard, power supply, video card, and some more ram. As a long time browser of this forum, I know a bit about computer hardware so I can choose a good video card, ram, and power supply for him, but I know nothing about motherboards.

I was hoping that you guys could recommend an affordable, solid motherboard that would go well with these components. He will be purchasing all of the hardware from a local computer store (NCIX). He needs a new motherboard because his current one doesn't have a PCI-E slot. Price is definitely a big factor.

Processor: (Current) Pentium 4 @ 3.0GHz
Video Card: Powercolor Radeon HD 4670 PCs 750MHZ 1GB 1.6GHZ GDDR3 $85
(http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=44972&vpn=AX4670 1GBK3-PH&manufacture=PowerColor)
Ram: (Current) 1.24GB (Will be getting 1GB more)
Power Supply: 500W OCZ StealthXStream OCZ500SXS ATX12V 24PIN $60
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=26884&vpn=OCZ500SXS&manufacture=OCZ Technology
Motherboard: ?

Thanks guys.
 
Last edited:
Eh... I'd recommend getting a new processor, as well. You can definitely find P4 boards with PCI-E 16x for around $100, but he's investing in inferior outdated tech. He could spend that same $100 on an AM3 board and get something like a 955BE for an extra $140 or a 555BE for $100 and he'd be totally set. Much more advisable to do that.
 
Eh... I'd recommend getting a new processor, as well. You can definitely find P4 boards with PCI-E 16x for around $100, but he's investing in inferior outdated tech. He could spend that same $100 on an AM3 board and get something like a 955BE for an extra $140 or a 555BE for $100 and he'd be totally set. Much more advisable to do that.

Thanks for the quick response. So I gather from your post that if he keeps his P4 processor, he'll have to find a P4 mobo, which is an outdated technology? I really don't know anything about the necessary compatibilities.
 
Thanks for the quick response. So I gather from your post that if he keeps his P4 processor, he'll have to find a P4 mobo, which is an outdated technology? I really don't know anything about the necessary compatibilities.

Pretty much, yeah. He'll be fine for now, but he's only delaying the inevitable by a year or two. He's eventually going to run into another game that will require more CPU juice to run effectively, and then he'll have spent $100 on a useless mobo.

I'd really recommend spending the extra cash to get a cpu/mobo combo that will give him some more headroom in the future.
 
Pretty much, yeah. He'll be fine for now, but he's only delaying the inevitable by a year or two. He's eventually going to run into another game that will require more CPU juice to run effectively, and then he'll have spent $100 on a useless mobo.

I'd really recommend spending the extra cash to get a cpu/mobo combo that will give him some more headroom in the future.

Makes sense. With that information in mind, we've decided to just go for a brand new rig. I've made a new thread in the more appropriate General Gaming sub-forum. It has a list of components that I've picked out for his rig, and it is open to feedback.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?p=1036043746#post1036043746
 
Back
Top