which MoBo best to go with ATI 4850X2 and Core i7?

nanotechy

Limp Gawd
Hello All,

Looking to put together a new system to do graphical works plus film editing, but no 3Ds stuffs. Which MoBo (s) would be the best in combo with the Core i7 and ATI HD4850X2?

Any other thoughts to make this the best film editing system available is welome.

Best regards,

Curious why you specifically say you aren't doing any 3D work, but you want such a powerful GPU?

Curious why you specifically say you aren't doing any 3D work, but you want such a powerful GPU?

Just want to render the best video quality possible; 3D may not be ruled out in the future.

Edit: Looking at some towers, came across the Nine Hundred ATX Case and thought it would be great, but then read this: " If you're building a gaming or video editing workstation (especially with 8800 cards) "I would not recommend this case. (You will definately need more space, and higher quality ports/cabling.)" at Amazon

Should the negativity of this review be correlate to what MoBo and Video Card I have? What other tall towers would you recommend?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
4850 x2 is a long card so you will need a case with a lot of room - coolermaster has a nice one that is pretty long - a little more game centric than you provbably care for but it will definatley give you enough room - think it is called the storm sniper.

get the evga. the 900 is a little tight with the x2, but not impossible.

3209635973_cb10967cec.jpg

4850 x2 is a long card so you will need a case with a lot of room - coolermaster has a nice one that is pretty long - a little more game centric than you provbably care for but it will definatley give you enough room - think it is called the storm sniper.

groebuck, could you please be more specific with which towel, perhaps from NewEgg's selection?

I don't mind what its made to target, just as long as i can have enough room for the require parts to run a cool and efficient system.

vanilla_guerilla said:
get the evga. the 900 is a little tight with the x2, but not impossible.
Is this a mid tower? Does evga make other larger tower? Gone to evga site, but didn't find info on towers.

Just want to render the best video quality possible; 3D may not be ruled out in the future.

Hey man, I don't want to crap on your thread or anything, but if you're just doing film and graphics work and such, the quality of your video has absolutely nothing to do with your video card.

If by 3d you mean games, then sure having a fast video card is nice, but if you mean 3d modeling and stuff, you don't need a video card that fast (and the crossfire will most likely not even be supported).

A 4850x2 is going to use lots of power and dump out lots of heat, and it sounds like you'll never even be using it. If you still want a fast video card just to know you have it, look into a 4830 or 4850. Much less power required, much less heat, and much quieter, especially in the case of the 4830. And then, if you do decide to play games or whatever, you'll have a decent card for that.

Abit,
No bad feeling here; actually, appreciate your honest thought.

For some reason, I had the idea that for best video quality, you need the best video card possible or as close to the best. So base on what you are saying, I totally misunderstood this whole notion?

Abit,
No bad feeling here; actually, appreciate your honest thought.

For some reason, I had the idea that for best video quality, you need the best video card possible or as close to the best. So base on what you are saying, I totally misunderstood this whole notion?

Pretty much. You could buy a $600 video card that would be no different then onboard video when it comes to video editing. All its doing is displaying an image.

Pretty much. You could buy a $600 video card that would be no different then onboard video when it comes to video editing. All its doing is displaying an image.

not exactly true :p

if your doing video editing then you want to concentrate on a good cpu, lots of memory and lots of disk space, if your doing photo editing then same + a good video card for high res and a big big monitor with accurate color.

what software will you be using to do all this - start there and then you can figure out what you need to build.

How much do you want to spend on a case??

The other post,by vanilla, I think he was refering to the EVGA X58 mainboard. EVGA doesn't manufacture or sell cases.

If it's room you want, especially with the newest graphics cards, a CoolerMaster Stacker 800 series or the Cosmos would be an excellent choice.

Most Lian-Li full towers would suffice as well, you just need > 20 inches of case length.

As for graphics, I'd think an nvidia 260,280 or 285 would do you very well.

if you're not doing 3d work, you can get by with any old video card. if you're doing photo editing, you might need a better display, but any video card you buy now will be able to get you up to 1920x1200, which corresponds to a pretty big display. any higher resolution displays will cost a fortune.

if your doing video editing then you want to concentrate on a good cpu, lots of memory and lots of disk space, if your doing photo editing then same + a good video card for high res and a big big monitor with accurate color.
What's a minimium resolution, contrast ratio, and size for a good monitor for this kind of work?

what software will you be using to do all this - start there and then you can figure out what you need to build.
Software: Adobe CS4 Premiere Pro and Photoshop. What would be your recommendation from here out?

magoo said:
How much do you want to spend on a case??
Around $150. I definitely like ot have more room in there. Just don't want to limit future potential expansion. Will look into the coolermaster, Lian-Li and Cosmos.

stainremover said:
...1920x1200, which corresponds to a pretty big display
Thanks. For the moment, 3D works are not in the equation yet, not to rule it out yet.

Appreciate all these thoughts/inputs, guys.

groebuck, could you please be more specific with which towel, perhaps from NewEgg's selection?

I don't mind what its made to target, just as long as i can have enough room for the require parts to run a cool and efficient system.

Is this a mid tower? Does evga make other larger tower? Gone to evga site, but didn't find info on towers.

no, i meant evga for the motherboard. the pic is of an x2 mounted in the middle slot of an evga x58 in an antec 900 case.

check out these cases. i have had several lian li, and am using them now. also a few high end coolermasters (wavemaster, atc 201) and antecs. but these gigabytes are easily the best built cases. they are like an aluminum tank, and absolutely huge on the inside.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...escription=&Ntk=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

Ok....if you are planning on using Photoshop CS4, GPU DOES matter to a degree..

CS4 actually uses the GPU for some things. (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13580_3-10048014-39.html)

Albeit, you probably don't need a card with dual GPU's in order to take advantage of that, but get a decent single GPU card, and it might benefit you when you're working with large images.

I'd recommend a 4830 or 4850 as another poster said, very cheap and will allow you to play almost any game if the need ever arises.

Ok....if you are planning on using Photoshop CS4, GPU DOES matter to a degree..

CS4 actually uses the GPU for some things. (http://news.cnet.com/8301-13580_3-10048014-39.html)

Albeit, you probably don't need a card with dual GPU's in order to take advantage of that, but get a decent single GPU card, and it might benefit you when you're working with large images.

It only "matters" in the way that if you do have a compatible card you can take advantage of its GPU accelerated features, not in the way that is you don't have a compatible card you will have bad performance. It will be no different the Photoshop's before it, so performance will still be very good.

And yes, it doesn't take a super powerful GPU to be useful. My old 8800GT works great.

Yeah pretty much....but after you've seen the difference in manipulating HUGE images (zoom, pan, etc), you probably won't be able to live without those features.

Yeah pretty much....but after you've seen the difference in manipulating HUGE images (zoom, pan, etc), you probably won't be able to live without those features.

I doubt the OP will be manipulating images that big consider he is concerned with film editing.

Yes as I found out the 4850 X2 is longer than the 4870 X2. If I left it in the case it would be hitting the hard drive SATA connection. Ive decided to stick with the 4870 X2 and 4870 1GB.

OK, again, thanks for all the great inputs.

Base one every ones help, I am trying to make a decision. Here are what I am thinking:
1. Case: a) Antec Twelve Hundred ATX

b) HAF932 High Air Flow Full Tower

C) Gigabyte 3D Mars Full Tower Black

D) GIGABYTE GZ-FA2CA-AJB Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower Computer Case

2. Mother Board: A) GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD3R Core i7/ Intel X58/ DDR3/ CorssFireX/ A&GbE/ ATX Motherboard

B) DFI LP UT X58-T3eH8 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

C) ASUS P6T Deluxe LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard

3. Video cards:
A) SAPPHIRE 100243-1GTXSR Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

B) SAPPHIRE 100270SR Radeon HD 4850 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card

C) EVGA 01G-P3-1280-AR GeForce GTX 280 1GB 512-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card , which is quite expensive.

Someone posted a video card comparison chart somewhere here in the forum, but can't seem to find it. If any one, can remember where it is, please kindly link to it here.

What do you think? All and any additional thoughts/recommendation are appreciated.

It only "matters" in the way that if you do have a compatible card you can take advantage of its GPU accelerated features, not in the way that is you don't have a compatible card you will have bad performance. It will be no different the Photoshop's before it, so performance will still be very good.

And yes, it doesn't take a super powerful GPU to be useful. My old 8800GT works great.

In terms of compatibility, of the combos posted above, do you see any compatible issues? If so, which one with which one?

Edit: How do you guys feel about this MoBo bundle? Could not find a list price for the MoBo alone.

Thanks again guys.

In terms of compatibility, of the combos posted above, do you see any compatible issues? If so, which one with which one?

As far as I can tell, Adobe only states that the GPU requirements as:
Adobe.com said:
Some GPU-accelerated features require graphics support for Shader Model 3.0 and OpenGL 2.0

That encompasses alot of cards.. you are all good.

I can continue building my own or take an Dell XPS existing system at BestBuy for $999.99. what are your thoughts on this spec sheet:

Warranty Terms - Parts 1 year
Warranty Terms - Labor 1 year
Product Height 14.2"
Product Width 6.7"
Product Weight 28 lbs.
Product Depth 17.1"
Processor Brand Intel®
Processor Intel® Core™ i7
Processor Speed 2.66GHz
Cache Memory 8MB on die Level 2
System Memory (RAM) 4GB
System Memory (RAM) Expandable To 12GB
Type of Memory (RAM) DDR3 SDRAM
Hard Drive Type SATA (7200 rpm)
Hard Drive Size 640GB
Graphics ATI RADEON HD 4850
Video Memory 512MB
Personal Video Recorder (PVR) No
TV Tuner No
MPEG Yes
Audio 7.1-channel support
Built-in Webcam No
Modem None
Network Card Built-in 10/100/1000 Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector)
Wireless Networking None
Recordable DVD Drive Yes, DVD±RW/CD-RW
Recordable DVD Drive Speeds 16x8x16 DVD+RW; 16x6x16 DVD-RW; 48x4x48 CD-RW
Direct-Disc Labeling No
Digital Media Reader or Slots Yes, digital media card reader
Diskette Drive No
Total Expansion Bays 4
Available Expansion Bays 3
Total Expansion Slots 3 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16
USB 2.0 Ports 8 USB 2.0 (4 front, 4 rear)
IEEE 1394 Ports 2 (1 front, 1 rear)
S-Video Outputs None
Serial Ports None
Parallel Ports None
Game Ports None
Keyboard Description USB multimedia
Other Control Devices (mouse, etc.) Premium optical USB mouse
Operating System Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

Software Included Adobe Reader 9; Roxio Creator 10 Dell Edition; Microsoft Works 9.0; Trend Micro AntiVirus (15 months)

Would this be enough for what I am intending to do or should I build my own and give me more room for potential expandability? Reviews from current owners said the PSU is only 360W and very little room for additions.

What about the Bang for the Buck factor? How is the value this compare to a self build system?

TIA

Or how about another equivalent Dell existing system from microcenter with a $999.99 price tag (the same as above's system) and the following specs:

Intel® Technology Intel® Virtualization Technology; Intel® Turbo Boost Technology; Enhanced Intel SpeedStep® Technology; Execute Disable Bit; Intel® 64 Architecture; Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology
3D and Multimedia Instructions SSE, SSE 2, SSE 3, SSE 4, SSE 4.2
Processor Type Core® i7 Processor 920
Processor Speed 2.67GHz
Level 2 Cache Size 4 x 256KB Level 2 Cache
Level 3 Cache Size 8MB Level 3 Cache
Number of Cores Quad-Core Platform
Number of Threads Eight Processing Threads
Processor Data Width 32-Bit/64-Bit Technology
Socket Required Socket 1366
Quick Path Interconnect Speed 4800 MT/s
Integrated Memory Controller Triple-Channel DDR3 Memory Controller
Memory Controller Width 192-Bit
Type of Memory Supported Unbuffered DDR3 Memory
Processor Architecture 45 nm Process Technology
Thermal Design Power 130 Watts
Included Accessories Intel® designed thermal solution (Fan, Heatsink)
Manufacturer Warranty 3 Year Limited Warranty

Again, guys, your input to help me better understand and appreciate what I am about to get is most appreciated.

Still can't find that thread that has some charts comparing the difference in the various video cards and don't feel good starting a thread just to look for it. If any one does remember it, please link to it here.

Also, again, all thoughts and views on the best combination of the above different cases, mother boards and video cards or wether system provided from Dell through Microcenter and BB above are sufficient and best bang for the buck would be much appreciated.

Best regards

Well I think all the video cards you mentioned in post #23 are all way to powerful/ expensive for what you are planning to do. I would drop down to a 4830 or 4850 which can be had at about +/- $100.

That certainly will save me a few $$. Thanks.

Additionally, I planned on purchasing this Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme 1366/775/AM2 RT CPU Cooler from http://www.anartik.com. How's your experience with this online Co? Too bad newegg doesn't carry this item. Do I need one or two of them? With the new Core i7, are there one or two in a system? I really don't know. Thanks

No, Core i7 is only sold in single processor systems now, you will have to wait for gainstown I think before there are DP and MP systems available. That is a great cooler though, however, I've never heard of that e-tailer.

CamaroZ28 said:
have to wait for gainstown
I like this. =) Appreciate straighten that out.

Any best combination from this list?

Again, someone posted a comparison bar graph chart of the various video cards somewhere here in the forum, but can't seem to find it. If any one, can remember where it is, please kindly link to it here.

All and any additional thoughts/recommendation are appreciated.

Back