• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Which MB + CPU combination?

depends on what you are doing... gaming, photoshop, etc.

and what your overall budget is, as well as your future plans for the system. Both have there advantages, & Depending on what else you have you may be able to use that substantial cost difference elsewhere where you will get more performance increase then you will from the i5 over the 965
 
General use and some gaming at 1680x1050.

I already have the following parts (other parts will stay the same no matter which CPU/MB I pick:

Corsair 620HX
BFG 260 OCed
Kingston 64GB SSD
WD 640GB HDD

I am assuming CPUs are very close with 750 being slightly better but what about the MB?

Is the EVGA MB better than MSI MB?
 
I'd say budget would probably be the more important factor to look to in deciding between those builds, I'd also recommend stepping down the processors to p II 955 BE and i5 750.

they're essentially the same in terms of what they're capable of, the only difference being that the p II 965 BE and i7 760 have a higher stock clock (the i5 760 also has a +1 added to it's multiplier cap, which really won't make any difference unless you're running more extreme cooling solutions in most cases). in terms of worth, the i5 760 may be worth it if you can use that higher multiplier cap, but the p ii 965 be just isn't worth it.
 
May I ask why you chose that particular AM3 board? There are better choices available for the money.
 
May I ask why you chose that particular AM3 board? There are better choices available for the money.

I can get it for $10 at Microcenter when I buy a 965 BE. The EVGA is coming out to about $70 after combo discounts. However, I already have the EVGA. I am wondering if I should return the EVGA and intel and get AMD with that MB.
 
Back
Top