• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Which macbook to buy?

Corporal79

Gawd
Joined
Oct 28, 2004
Messages
889
I have multiple iPhones and iPads in my household and a mac mini used to general computing. It's come time that I need more than an iPad for some side gig jobs I have. Initially I was considering a macbook air because of the portability and I don't feel that I need a ton of horsepower for what I'm doing. Checking the refurb section of the apple store I can pick up a 13" macbook pro refurb for around the same price point of a brand new macbook air.

Can those with either model share why they didn't go with the other? I feel I can't really go wrong with either model but I'm leaning toward the pro simply because of perceived performance gain.
 
Last edited:
I bet most of the new ones sitting around are going to have mavericks on it still. Yosemite is a painless and free OS update. You could create a bootable USB to do a clean install of the OS or you could simply upgrade. Personally I have never been a fan of the low res that the 13" macbooks have but that doesn't matter to everyone. If portability is more important than horsepower I would get the air.
 
Not having used an air before, is it safe to assume the lower spec cpu is overcome by the ssd for everyday computing?
 
My brother uses an air for his travel machine and does his work on it without any issue I have heard of. My mother uses her air as an everyday machine and loves the portability over her old plastic macbook. Even with all the crap she leaves open and all the attachments and Microsoft office documents she has running the machine is still perfectly usable for web browsing.
 
When it came time for me to buy another Macbook, my choice was made by testing them out side-by-side in Best Buy. The Air took two hands to open because it was so light and the magnet holding it closed was so strong. The MBP took one finger. For general purpose computing, either is a good machine. I went with the MBP because I didn't care how heavy my laptop was, and I didn't want to pay extra to get that light weight. For some folks it's worth it. Me, I'd carry around a 15lbs+ laptop if it did what I needed it to do.

Compare 'em in person if you can.
 
Late 2013 MBP Retina 13" is the best option. It's plenty powerful for all but the most intensive computing, very light/portable (3.5 lbs.) and has the awesome retina display. Vendors are trying to clear inventories in advance of 2015 models, so prices are very reasonable. I bought mine for $1050. It was an open box item at Best Buy.
 
I was just in the same boat, not looking at refurbs though. The Macbook air is almost exactly the same price as the entry level rMBP, which is why I went with the retina. It's certainly not "heavy" in any sense. The 13 inch air starts at 1000, you can get the older model pro at 1000 and the newer at 1300.
 
Check out the refurbs. I think it carries the same warranty as new.

Apple refurbs carry the same 1 year warranty and are eligible for applecare for the same time frame and cost as a new one. They replaced my rMBP screen under warranty for dead pixels without any questions asked on my refurb.
 
When it came time for me to buy another Macbook, my choice was made by testing them out side-by-side in Best Buy. The Air took two hands to open because it was so light and the magnet holding it closed was so strong. The MBP took one finger. For general purpose computing, either is a good machine. I went with the MBP because I didn't care how heavy my laptop was, and I didn't want to pay extra to get that light weight. For some folks it's worth it. Me, I'd carry around a 15lbs+ laptop if it did what I needed it to do.

Compare 'em in person if you can.

great idea. I'm near a mall with an apple store as well. I'll swing over on lunch today.

I see a rMBP in the refurb for $1100...hmmm
 
I second the recommendation for a refurb. I've had a lot of their stuff refurb, including a Macbook Air and a Mac Pro. They've always been indistinguishable from new other than a white box.
 
Back
Top