Which M.2 on ITX

sgtspiff

Limp Gawd
So now we got M.2 for all (almost all anyway).
But the different sizes will not work on all ITX boards (and some just don't have the M.2 socket).

Can't we all dig in and I will update this post with mobo and what sizes M.2 it will take.

Asus
Asus Z97I-Plus 2260/2280 socket 3, m key up to pcie 2.0 2x (10 gb/s)
Asus H97I-Plus 2260/2280 socket 3, m key up to pcie 2.0 2x (10 gb/s)

Asrock
ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac 2230/2242 socket 3 shared with sata express, up to pcie 2.0 2x (10gb/sec)

Gigabyte
Gigabyte GA-Z97N-Gaming 5 No M.2
Gigabyte GA-Z97N-WIFI No M.2
Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI No M.2

MSI
MSI H97I AC No M.2

Last edited:
The asus h/z97 supports 2260/2280 socket 3, m key up to pcie 2.0 2x (10 gb/s)
The asrock z97 supports 2230/2242 socket 3 shared with sata express, up to pcie 2.0 2x (10gb/sec)

Reference are the user manuals...

As far as I can tell the 2280 size is most common for anything above 256GB pcie

Do you really need to fasten the screw to keep the card in place?
Couldn't you just keep it in the socket (longer cards)? Gettomodding something to keep it in place.

Not sure if it's the same for every M.2 socket, but the one on Asus M6 Impact has no screws, you just stick a card in the socket.

Do you really need to fasten the screw to keep the card in place?
Couldn't you just keep it in the socket (longer cards)? Gettomodding something to keep it in place.

No idea until someone tries it...but the issue is for the ITX boards it is on the underside of the motherboard...so I'd rather have a screw for security so it doesn't just flop around when moving to lans and stuff...

But looking at the Asrock, any longer will come into contact with the underside of the cpu socket (and any backplates) so longer probably would not be possible.

See picture here:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z97E-ITXac/

FYI the Gigabyte and MSI boards do not have a m.2 slot...so for ITX so far it's Asrock or Asus...

Last edited:
Hopefully there be more ITX mobos on the market with M.2.
And maybe just one that has space for a the largest ones.

I've devoted quite some time and effort into figuring out M.2 in the ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac topic, a few scrolls down in the start post. You can always use it as a reference.

Would be awesome if all motherboard manufacturers would come together and agree on 1 m.2 variant to make life easier for the end users.

Would be awesome if all motherboard manufacturers would come together and agree on 1 m.2 variant to make life easier for the end users.

M.2 has nothing to do with motherboard manufactures...it's a standard set by SATA-IO and PCI-SIG I believe (which are groups who make up these standards)

If you are talking about length...well...that's up to the available space. m.2 can go upto 110mm in length...and the longer the m.2 card the more space it will have on it. As of right now, the largest commercial 2242 card i've seen is 128GB...where i've seen 512GB on the 2280 variants.

ie. Plextor M6e 256GB is 2280....so that won't fit in the Asrock board. see: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/plextor-m6e-pci-express-ssd,3763-2.html

However the 512GB is also 2280 so that will be awesome in the intel boards :)

Last edited:
M.2 has nothing to do with motherboard manufactures...it's a standard set by SATA-IO and PCI-SIG I believe (which are groups who make up these standards)

If you are talking about length...well...that's up to the available space. m.2 can go upto 110mm in length...and the longer the m.2 card the more space it will have on it. As of right now, the largest commercial 2242 card i've seen is 128GB...where i've seen 512GB on the 2280 variants.

ie. Plextor M6e 256GB is 2280....so that won't fit in the Asrock board. see: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/plextor-m6e-pci-express-ssd,3763-2.html

However the 512GB is also 2280 so that will be awesome in the intel boards :)

It is up to the Motherboard Manufacturer as to the exact location of the ports on the motherboards, I know I mistated my thought this morning. Placement is key to size just like the socket placement is key to which cpu coolers can be used or what orientation the cpu cooler has to be turned to.

That's not really accurate, the Plextor M6e 256GB is going to be available in 2242 and 2280 variants: http://www.thessdreview.com/our-reviews/plextor-m6e-pcie-m-2-ssd-review-256gb-512gb-raid-testing/

Adding more to the confusion...

That's an error...the picture in the first page although it states it's a 2242, is definitely a 2260...it's too long to be a 2242...

and looking at the page here by the same site: http://www.thessdreview.com/our-rev...xtor-m6e-pcie-m-2-ssd-revealed-boot-features/

they state it's a 2260...

and...to add even more confusion...the reviewers them selves in the comments...don't answer the question directly:

Chris • a month ago
Thanks, Les! I was wondering about the M6e 256 SSD. Specifically, you indicated that there is a shorter 42mm (2242) length M.2 PCIe SSD. However, I can find no reference to a 42mm (2242) length version of this SSD anywhere except your review here and your IOSwitch Raijin Review. One person on Newegg indicated it was 60mm x 20mm and all the pictures I find outside of The SSD Review seem to show the 80mm pictures of the SSD within this Marvell SS9183 controller. Am interested in it, but never sure if the SSD is correct.

Les@TheSSDReview Mod Chris • a month ago
Yes...unfortunately things change quickly with tech. I cannot answer whether they went with a change of heart or will only be releasing the smaller form factor to oem. Sorry.

And the discussion shows that I made a thread that's needed.

The producers have the lentgh issue in their hands. Can't be difficult to move that screw 110mm from the socket.

The Asus board looks like the best bet if you intend to get a M.2 drive eventually (2280).

But, I tried to read up on this tech. and imho, most of it derives from notebooks, believe it or not. These SSDs are more common in notebooks so I think it's just lately that they have made their way to desktop motherboards and of course, the mini-itx boards are the best option since users want things portable.

However, the Asus Z97 ATX motherboards have the faster pci-e x4 M.2 versions. Well, at least one of them.

I think price is still prohibitive so I decided the M.2 slot isn't going to swing me one way or the other but I wouldn't mind having one. So, it's either Asus or ASRock but I'm definitely waiting for the first week of June or later to see if any new boards get released.

Going with the Asus Z97i-Plus would mean I'd definitely want a DAC. That's pathetic that they use the ALC892 on that. I have an Audigy 2ZS in my current desktop and I don't want sound that is inferior to that.

That's an error...the picture in the first page although it states it's a 2242, is definitely a 2260...it's too long to be a 2242...

and looking at the page here by the same site: http://www.thessdreview.com/our-rev...xtor-m6e-pcie-m-2-ssd-revealed-boot-features/

they state it's a 2260...

and...to add even more confusion...the reviewers them selves in the comments...don't answer the question directly:
Argh I was thinking that it seemed a little long for a Type 2242 SSD.

And the discussion shows that I made a thread that's needed.

The producers have the lentgh issue in their hands. Can't be difficult to move that screw 110mm from the socket.
The problem is not the screw socket, but everything in between that needs to be cleared as well. The placement on the back helps but it's not as easy as just putting more screw sockets.

Back