Which logitech harmony for me?

Fryguy8

[H]ard|Gawd
Why does it seem like they have 5 different models that are all in a similar street price range that all seem to do the same thing?

I want to spend less than $200 on the remote, I don't care about color screen or rechargable (AA or AAA is fine, I'll just get rechargable batteries and use a wall charger). I have the following components:

-Receiver controlling audio only (at this point)
-HD DVR Cable box
-HTPC
-Samsung 56" dlp with all video sources connected to it
-PS2 (not affected by this)

PC and Cable are connected to TV via HDMI, ps2/pc/cable are connected to Receiver via digital interfaces (2 optical, 1 digital coax).

I see 3 modes:

1. Watch TV
2. Use HTPC
3. Play PS2

So, which remote should I get?

You can find the 880 pretty cheap if you catch the right deal. 880 all the way.

I say the 688 all the way. Also remember that your rechargeables will only last a couple months. Most rechargables loss their charge on average of 1.5% per day.

If the upper limit was $100 I'd agree with the 688. But, as we've seen the 880 for less than $150 several times, I'd pay the extra for the color (which becomes something you enjoy very quickly.) and the, IMO, better form and function.

I own two and only sell the 880's to my client-base. 880 all the way ;)

Here's a vote for the 680. If you use MCE, it has a dedicated green button and some preprogramming already. I use mine with a serial IR receiver from ebay and girder (old free edition). I like the ergonomics of the 680 over the 880.

go with the 880. I use it and its a great remote. plus dell sometimes has this at very very low prices. But ya definitely the 880. What i like about it is that almost everything that has an rf or even uses a remote can be programed. hell i even programed my logitech z5500s.

I vote 880 too, I have almost the same setup as you, 50" sammy dlp, moto hd dvr, PS2, toshiba DVD, Sony receiver and MCE2k5. I use bluetooth k/m for MCE, but the 880 does everything else.

I have the 880 and while it does take some initial getting used to, and the set up could be a little bit friendlier, its very nice having to deal with only one remote. I got my gf the 628 for pretty cheap and it does the job but i definitely prefer the 880 (though mine was ~$80 more). If you just wanted a simple programmable remote the 628 could fit your needs on the cheap though.

for $140 I might as well, I was looking to spend around $125-$150 and I'm willing to have a second "something" to control the htpc.

Any recommendations on a small keyboard that has a pointer device (trackpad preferably) built in?

Also, is the battery an issue on these? I'd prefer to not have to be buying new batteries for it all of the time. It seems like it'd be cheaper to just use AA or AAA rechargables and replace them once a year or whatever. The battery for this remote to replace seems to be about $30. Hopefully it doesn't need to replaced often, if ever.

Anyone know anything about this?

Nah, it holds a good charge. Remember to dock it like you would a mouse and you'll be golden. I've had a 880 in service with a client since the first month they were released, no problems yet. (The early docks had an issue with the remote sitting on them correctly, but that's long over... Plus the dock has a sexy blue LED ring on it - score! ;) )

I wouldn't leave the 550 out of consideration. It is an updated version of the 520. I like the button layout and general appearance better than the other Harmony remotes. I couldn't justify the 880's price tag at the time (although $130 isn't bad at all), but I don't regret my purchase. IMHO, good middle ground between the 880 and the 6xx series.

Dell has it for $80 + tax today

either way, logitech's customer support is awesome.

I just can't justify having such an elaborate (read: expensive) remote. My $20 radio shack unit (well, both of them) serves me well and controls all my devices. I still haven't filled up its memory with learned commands.

Fryguy8 said:
Any recommendations on a small keyboard that has a pointer device (trackpad preferably) built in?

I use the Logitech BT Dinovo for one and the MS Bluetooth keyboard and mouse for the other. Microsoft also has a bluetooth media center keyboard with built in trackball, haven't used it, but it's supposed to be pretty good.

kleptophobiac said:
I just can't justify having such an elaborate (read: expensive) remote. My $20 radio shack unit (well, both of them) serves me well and controls all my devices. I still haven't filled up its memory with learned commands.
Yeah but imagine how cool you'll be! My friend just bought me an 880 yesterday for my wedding. I can't wait for it to get here. I'll be so uber :p

I went from using a logitech rf keyboard and mouse to this: http://pctekonline.com/soaccousbwik.html

It is much better for HTPC use. the joystick thingy is not great if you are doing a lot of mousing, but it definitely works. the keyboard is nice and compact as well. I am very happy I decided to get it.

CricketCorpse said:
I wouldn't leave the 550 out of consideration. It is an updated version of the 520. I like the button layout and general appearance better than the other Harmony remotes. I couldn't justify the 880's price tag at the time (although $130 isn't bad at all), but I don't regret my purchase. IMHO, good middle ground between the 880 and the 6xx series.

Dell has it for $80 + tax today

either way, logitech's customer support is awesome.

i agree with you, i just ordered my 550 yesterday, should get it in a few days. I love the way it looks compaired to the rest of the line.

i'm very happy with my 880. i've used some of the previous models, and they're great too, but the screen and other ergonomics of the 880 are awesome.

zv

Ok sorry if this is a thread cap.

However I have owned two harmony remotes in the past and still currently use one. I love the remotes except for one problem. Build Quality, for the price >$100 the ones I have owned have not been the best in build quality. My first one died (model 659) one day for no particular reason just stop working, this was not a rare occurence of this model. My second one (model 680) was first DOA, then they replaced it. However within a few months the very thin piece of plastic that holds the battery cover on broke. They replaced it for free, but the second one broke and I never bothered to replace it cause well it will just break again since it is a design flaw. I have a coworker with the same remote and same problem.

Note: I am extremely careful with my gear even something like a remote. I have no kids and only a wife who is also careful with things. However a remote really should be something built like a tank. It is something that gets very heavy use, and in general is not something most people think to baby.

So people with the latest models of the remotes, how is the build quality? I would like to buy a new one even though the problems I have had, but relucant because of the build quality. There really is no other remote maker whose remotes are as easy to use and that support state memory (ability to know that the TV is on so that it does not try to turn it on again, this is very important for things that have a single command for on/off).

I've had a client's 688 battery cover break, that is a pain in the ass for sure. The 880's though, are very solid units. To me, they feel like a Logitech (ironic) MX1000 versus an OEM dell mouse, you know?

Back