which linux to install

i am planning to install suse linux pro 9.2 or fedora core 3 i cannot decide which to install pls can someone tell which is the better of the two.

I'm not really sure how the two compare, but I'm a linux noob so I got fedora core 3 and I think it's a pretty good linux-starting version. Is this your first install of linux?

Don't take this as a thread crap, but if you tilt your head up slowly, you'd see the Linux subforum. We tend to handle Windows only in this section. The Linux gurus hang out in there, and I'm sure the quality of your answers will be as good or better than here. Chances are though, this question has been asked 8 billion times, and your answers are already stated.

djnes said:
Don't take this as a thread crap, but if you tilt your head up slowly, you'd see the Linux subforum. We tend to handle Windows only in this section. The Linux gurus hang out in there, and I'm sure the quality of your answers will be as good or better than here. Chances are though, this question has been asked 8 billion times, and your answers are already stated.

he's right

either is fine. it's like going to a car forum and asking if you should buy a chevy or a ford. the bottom line is that you can freely try both and can get an equally good experience out of either. the differences between mainstream distros like red hat, suse and mandrake are largely the product of preferences. each does something a little better than others, but any will get you a good start.

zeos said:
hes asking about a distro to try; i dont think he wants to join a cult, hehe.

heheh I was thinking the same thing. Plus if he is new to linux Gentoo is not the distro for him. I AM NOT KNOCKING GENTOO lets make that clear, I don't need a lynching from you "branch gentooian cultists"

Now, to answer the original question: Try all of the different flavors of linux. See which one you like. In the beginning it wont really matter, you probably be sticking with a GUI environment anyway and once you have seen Gnome/KDE on one distro you have pretty much seen it all. I have tried Gentoo, Red Hat, Fedora, Ubuntuu, Slackware and debian. Debian is my personal favorite the apt package system is awesome and blows IMHO portage out of the water. But then again i never did like waiting 24-48hours to compile X.org :D

Back