Which Linux OS best for desktop user.

RAMU

n00b
Dear All,

Please help me for which linux OS easily user friendly for windows user.
We are using windows system more than 80 users but not my boss want to replace some system with linux.

Zorin OS is designed to resemble windows. It has a bit too much eye candy for my liking though. Also Ubuntu Mate or Xubuntu will appeal to anyone who is used to WinXP/Win7.

I've used a number of Distro's including Arch, every time I eventually come back to an Ubuntu based distro because everything just works.

I'm currently running Ubuntu MATE and I love it, by far my favourite distro and easy to use - Totally recommended.

Arch-Anywhere install for Arch Linux works great (though there might be a snag a the beginning with automouting the root fs but it's easily fixed with a symbolic link).

Personally, even considering Arch Anywhere, I wouldn't be recommending a potentially long term Windows user to attempt Arch straight off the bat having very little experience with Linux. In terms of Installers, the Ubuntu distro's have the most 'Windows like' installers that's bound to be the least confusing for newcomers.

Nothing personal, just my opinion. At the end of the day it's all up to the OP.

Personally, even considering Arch Anywhere, I wouldn't be recommending a potentially long term Windows user to attempt Arch straight off the bat having very little experience with Linux. In terms of Installers, the Ubuntu distro's have the most 'Windows like' installers that's bound to be the least confusing for newcomers.

Nothing personal, just my opinion. At the end of the day it's all up to the OP.

True, though my recommendation is more for the daring. Arch-Anywhere makes a it a whole lot easier since I don't care to start from scratch myself... :)

True, though my recommendation is more for the daring. Arch-Anywhere makes a it a whole lot easier since I don't care to start from scratch myself... :)

If the OP is so inclined building a Linux distro from scratch may be something they'd enjoy tackling? You do learn a lot as a result of installing Arch and the wiki is excellent. As long as the OP doesn't assume that the Arch way of things is necessarily how Linux is considering there are far easier alternatives that install similar to Windows.

Lubuntu is my go to- will run on nearly anything, uses very little resources, and just frickin works (for the most part)

CentOS or Fedora. Largest private company who backs a distro that isn't Canonical. RedHat.

CentOS or Fedora. Largest private company who backs a distro that isn't Canonical. RedHat.

I tried Fedora when it was at 23 - there were far more quirks than with Ubuntu. But other than that I kinda liked it. The Gnome desktop is alien to Windows migrants though.

If the OP is so inclined building a Linux distro from scratch may be something they'd enjoy tackling? You do learn a lot as a result of installing Arch and the wiki is excellent. As long as the OP doesn't assume that the Arch way of things is necessarily how Linux is considering there are far easier alternatives that install similar to Windows.

I would've done that myself but I realized that I don't want to waste too much time on installing Arch Linux. Arch-Anywhere + chroot + post-install tinkering has gone a long way. I really didn't want to troubleshoot the installation process if something went wrong.

If you want more compatibility go for Mint. OpenSUSE is stable and very easy to use but can be irritating to get things working if it's not supported directly. Fedora is my go to anymore, but they broke VMWare workstation compatibility.

Seconding the Fedora suggestion.

Take a few days and get used to how it works and you might like it. It's been my daily driver for several months now with no issues. I use it for programming and websurfing and whatever else you would use a laptop for.

My preferred distro has been Linux Mint with a Cinnamon desktop. I have tried Fedora, Ubuntu Mate, Ubuntu Unity, Linux Mint KDE, Qubes, Gecko and Manjaro. None came close to Linux Mint Cinnamon for me. Not to say the others were bad but I just liked Mint Cinnamon more.

I suggest Ubuntu, as you are likely going to get the most/best support for that distro for the least money. They also have paid support for enterprises, so if you get it and decide you want more support, you can always get the licensed support. Although if this is for a company and you really need fast support, I would look into getting RedHat, and getting their support contract. For reference I created and presented a number of Ubuntu Desktop installations for government use offering various configurations tailored to the particular group using them. I also created a number of RedHat installations to compare them with. Many liked the Ubuntu feel better. However, the support from RedHat, at least in my experience, is better and faster.

For myself, I prefer straight Debian with KDE Plasma. Also at my current site, our team uses Debian with KDE for desktops and HPCs.

I gave Mint a shot in a VM the other day and I'm still really impressed by it. I wish people would recommend it more instead of ubuntu.

I've been using Elementary OS, Ubuntu that looks like a Mac if someone wants a similar experience without the Apple price tag.

Played around a bit with Elementary. It's definitely getting better from when I last tried it several years ago. It plays nice and feels similar to MacOS. One thing I notice though is when I create a document in my home desktop folder it doesn't appear on the user desktop.

Played around a bit with Elementary. It's definitely getting better from when I last tried it several years ago. It plays nice and feels similar to MacOS. One thing I notice though is when I create a document in my home desktop folder it doesn't appear on the user desktop.
Yeah for some reason they decided to lock down the desktop. I like a clean desktop so I kinda like that. I just have a shortcut to the home directory on the dock. and problem is solved.

Yeah for some reason they decided to lock down the desktop. I like a clean desktop so I kinda like that. I just have a shortcut to the home directory on the dock. and problem is solved.
I can understand that but I think the user should decide if the Desktop is clear or not. A developer saying you can't do something doesn't sound like a "Linux" thing to do.

Thanks though for following up on that.

I can understand that but I think the user should decide if the Desktop is clear or not. A developer saying you can't do something doesn't sound like a "Linux" thing to do.

Thanks though for following up on that.

I find the same with Ubuntu Gnome. The Gnome desktop manager looks pretty, but it's level of customisation is a bit locked down in my experience.

Back