• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Which Linux distribution would you recommend?

PontiacGTX

Gawd
Joined
Aug 9, 2013
Messages
810
I am looking for a linux distro which is similar to Windows(that commands arent required to make things but still avaialble to use it) with a good UI and that has good performance in OpenCL(and games if possible but not required) on AMD GPUs
 
I am looking for a linux distro which is similar to Windows(that commands arent required to make things but still availalble to use it) with a good UI and that has good performance in OpenCL(and games if possible but not required) on AMD GPUs

I recently decided to try out Linux and I have found ROBOLinux 8.6 (Welcome to RoboLinux) Cinnamon to be a "new user friendly" X86_64 distro. I selected the "blast away the drive" option and setup was just make a few clicks and it's up and running. The Package installer makes updating easy, as well. You can find links and reviews at distrowatch .com. If you're looking for a 32-bit distro I like Zorin Lite and Q4OS.

If you're installing on a laptop with built-in WiFi you should check around to verify it has Linux support or you may end up having to get a WiFi adapter dongle. I no longer game so I can't offer any gaming information. Hope this helps.
 
From your requirements, I would suggest giving Ubuntu a try. You can get a feel for it by using a Live CD/USB before installing it. All distros will give you access to a shell if you need to use it. :)
 
I started with Mint. I found is the easiest to use just in my opinion, when coming from windows.
 
Mint is probably the easiest with the most compatibility, especially if you still want to play games and get software to work.

There are plenty of fun and easy Distro's that would also get it done if you wanted something different. Zorin and Peppermint are both pretty nice.

As your understanding of linux grows you can go to a more advanced distro like Fedora, Arch/Manjaro, or OpenSUSE.
 
  • Like
Reactions: jtm55
like this
Back
Top