Which lcd is better the Samsung 970P or the ViewSonic VP930?

Mikael4a

n00b
I had ordered a 193P+ but they ran out and the VP191 isn´t avaible here either. So which
one of these successors is better? Or is there a other lcd that beats both?

I think you'll be hard pressed to find someone that has actually owned both of these monitors, in order to give you a fair opinion.

But you can read my 970P review posted on this same forum. It gets a huge two thumbs up from me. As far as the Viewsonic VP930, I couldn't give you an honest opinion either way. I've heard both good and bad though.

There are numerous reports of a backlight bleed problem at the four corners of the VP930 in this forum and elsewhere. I'd stay away from it.

PoweredBySoy said:
I think you'll be hard pressed to find someone that has actually owned both of these monitors, in order to give you a fair opinion.

But you can read my 970P review posted on this same forum. It gets a huge two thumbs up from me. As far as the Viewsonic VP930, I couldn't give you an honest opinion either way. I've heard both good and bad though.
I read your review and it seems as an excellent lcd. Too bad that you didn´t have vp191 or
193p+ to compare it too though sence I would like to have confirmation that it´s at least
as good as those two.

ezee said:
There are numerous reports of a backlight bleed problem at the four corners of the VP930 in this forum and elsewhere. I'd stay away from it.

Yes I´ve read the same things but i just can´t understand how there can be shuch a problem with a lcd in that pricerange :confused:

Mikael4a said:
I read your review and it seems as an excellent lcd. Too bad that you didn´t have vp191 or
193p+ to compare it too though sence I would like to have confirmation that it´s at least
as good as those two.

Yes I´ve read the same things but i just can´t understand how there can be shuch a problem with a lcd in that pricerange :confused:

Price means nothing in terms of ouput or enginner quality. Orginal owners of the Dell 2005 and 2405 will tell you the tales of shelling out $800 to $1200 to find that the monitors had serious backlight issues, buzzing sounds, dead pixel bunches. After several revisions and part replacments, they are now in good quality but only after some people had to RMA their monitors up to 5 times or more back to Dell!

Viewsonic is no different. My 930b was terrible, I didn't even wanna give Viewsonic a second chance. Hell, Dell would ship me a new 2405 monitor overnight no charge to me if my monitor so much as "hiccuped" I can't say the same for Viewsonic.

Im sure the monitor is wonderful when its made and tested CORRECTLY but as such, I wasn't gonna deal with finding a gem in a pile of coal. Since having the 930b though I will say one thing, I have a new Dell 2405 and i'll never go back to non widescreen LCD's again.

xbleed3cr.jpg

IceWind said:
Price means nothing in terms of ouput or enginner quality. Orginal owners of the Dell 2005 and 2405 will tell you the tales of shelling out $800 to $1200 to find that the monitors had serious backlight issues, buzzing sounds, dead pixel bunches. After several revisions and part replacments, they are now in good quality but only after some people had to RMA their monitors up to 5 times or more back to Dell!

Viewsonic is no different. My 930b was terrible, I didn't even wanna give Viewsonic a second chance. Hell, Dell would ship me a new 2405 monitor overnight no charge to me if my monitor so much as "hiccuped" I can't say the same for Viewsonic.

Im sure the monitor is wonderful when its made and tested CORRECTLY but as such, I wasn't gonna deal with finding a gem in a pile of coal. Since having the 930b though I will say one thing, I have a new Dell 2405 and i'll never go back to non widescreen LCD's again.

Picture

Yes I did follow some of the Dell 2405 madness here even though I knew I would never get a good deal on one of them here in Finland.
But I just hoped it was a Dell thing and that it wasn´t as bad with real lcd manufacturers but I guess I was wrong. So I´m leaning
towards the 970P but I would still need confirmation of that it´s atleast as good as the vp191 and 193p+.

Mikael4a said:
Yes I did follow some of the Dell 2405 madness here even though I knew I would never get a good deal on one of them here in Finland.
But I just hoped it was a Dell thing and that it wasn´t as bad with real lcd manufacturers but I guess I was wrong. So I´m leaning
towards the 970P but I would still need confirmation of that it´s atleast as good as the vp191 and 193p+.

Specc wise, it is far superior to either one, but speccs don't mean squat if it doesn't perform in real life.

I simply can't go back to "square" LCD's after my 2405.

Have anyone seen a review of the Samsung 970P? Tomhardware just reviewed the VP930 and it seems to be as good as the VP191
but a bit slower and with better blacks. I would just like to know that the 970P isn´t a step in the wrong direction from the 193P+.

PoweredBySoy said:

I recently purchased both the 970P and the VP930b and let me tell you, the 970P wins hands down. I'm sending the VP930b back without a second thought. Here's why...

970P - Plusses:

Zero backlight bleed through. The VP930b suffers from the same "X" type backlight bleed through others have reported in this forum.

Wider viewing angle range. There is less loss of contrast at the extreme edges of the range, whereas with the Viewsonic it begins to "gloss out" after say 30 degrees to either side (you can still see what's on the screen it just gets progressively washed out).

Desktop apps, photos and games look stunning, DVDs look very good. There's a slight graininess where a DVD movie scene has a large area of a single color, but it's hardly worth complaining about.

Very good uniformity of brightness.

Far easier to rotate and pivot the screen than with the VP930b.The screen also pivots 180 degrees which ensures that it's always perfectly horizontal or vertical. The VP930b only pivots 90 degrees and is more difficult to rotate.

One dead pixel. No wait, that's just a speck of dirt. Make that ZERO dead pixels.

970P Minuses:

The 970P has no controls on the monitor itself, everything relies on its "Magictune" software. On top of that, this software did nothing but lock up the system the second I tried it. However my video card applet covers most of its features anyway, and with it I can assign hotkeys for brightness, contrast, etc - it's almost like having onscreen controls again. (all of this comes with the latest NVidia drivers, used with my Leadtek 6600GT)

///////////////////////////////////////////////

In all fairness however, the Viewsonic VP930b does have a few features missing from the Samsung. Aside from on-panel controls and a built-in transformer, its blacks are slightly blacker, but only when you sit dead square in front of the panel. The Viewsonic's maximum brightness is also a bit higher, but aside from needing sunglasses to use it there's nothing really remarkable about it- it pushes blacks to grays in the process anyway. Neither model had any issues with ghosting in games, and looked equally capable, in that respect, to my eyes.

Simply put, the Samsung 970P is the most CRT-like LCD I've ever seen. The only thing I miss about a CRT is that LCDs can't look as sharp in non-native resolutions. But naturally, that's not a criticism of either panel since it's a shortcoming of LCD technology. The more I use this panel the more I enjoy it; it's a true pleasure on the eyes and worth every penny.

Of course some VP930Bs might be better than others but at this point I don't see the need to try another, the Samsung does all I could ask for.

Hi,

I've been doing LCD research for about 2 months now and also had similar dillemas to yours, except for me 970p was out of the game cause it's not available in Canada yet.
I finally bought 193p+ 2 days ago cause I heard a lot of good about it and it looks like I made a good choice, the screen is awesome.
I would have probably bought VP930b but majority of owners reported backlight leaking which I really did not want. And I haven't heard any complaints about leaking in 193p+ which is also true in my case.
You can read a bit here about 970p, and I also posted my initial reflections about 193p+:

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=981090&page=1

I read about 970p on the net and on this forum and the LCD is not worse than 193p+. One reviewer (you can find a thread here somewhere) said that the response time is the same as 193p+, the 6ms is not noticable. And you get a better base with 970p.
So I'd say got with 970p.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=981090&page=1

hojolight said:
I recently purchased both the 970P and the VP930b and let me tell you, the 970P wins hands down.

Most excellent. You only reinforced what I already knew..... that I made the right choice with the 970P.
:)

PoweredBySoy said:
Most excellent. You only reinforced what I already knew..... that I made the right choice with the 970P.
:)
Although I was addressing the OP, who was looking for a first-hand comparison of the two, I'm glad I reinforced your opinion of the 970P. I'm still amazed by its image quality The only thing I ever see replacing it is an SED panel.

Back