• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Which LCD for my b-day?

Firecrotch

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jul 27, 2005
Messages
140
My birthday is in a month and right now i have no clue what monitor i want. I game a lot and will mostly be playing UT 2004 and HL2. I want at least 20 inches because of the resolution. Top price would be around $600 or so. So what would you guys recommend? Ive been looking at dells both widescreen and non widescreen, the gateway seems to get mixed opinions. But ya any ideas?
 
Firecrotch said:
My birthday is in a month and right now i have no clue what monitor i want. I game a lot and will mostly be playing UT 2004 and HL2. I want at least 20 inches because of the resolution. Top price would be around $600 or so. So what would you guys recommend? Ive been looking at dells both widescreen and non widescreen, the gateway seems to get mixed opinions. But ya any ideas?
The gateway or the new widescreens from viewsonic.
Your going to get a lot of people saying Dell but take this in account "there not that good", the price is but having to return it over and over till you get one without defects isn't fun. Remember, dell doesn't make LCD's, they make LCD cases with the Dell badge on them. I know most Dell's LCD's are LG's and LG makes a great LCD but come on? LG isn't that great and they have ghosting issues up the waaazooo. JMO.
 
I just got the new gateway 2185, I have only had it for a few days so I havent posted any thoughts yet but so far it is freakin sweet, I have not had any issues yet. If I put my ear up to it I can very faintly hear a buzz but it is so faint that if I hadnt heard another poster mentioning it I would have never in a million years noticed it.
Great monitor so far...
 
hmm so it looks like the gateway is pretty good? I guess i'll ask for that one. Do i need a special DVI cable for it? ive got a BFG 6800gt AGP. with one DVI.
 
hmm. tough decision. looks like i might just have to get it and test it out. if it works good on my system then great. If not theni'll return and probably go for a dell or something. How is the Samsung 204T? i saw it when i was at best buy. next to the gateway it looked small though.
 
Yeah try it out I guess maybe I had some bad luck, I got the Samsung 204B which looks just like the 204t but has a 5ms g2g response time. I'm happy, wish the Gateway would have worked out though, before I had the Gateway on my desk for a brief time I though this 204b was a hugh display.
 
Yes, you do need to buy your own DVI cable, I was expecting that when I got mine, I got one before I left.
 
1) You don't NEED to buy a cable. I am still using the VGA cable and the text looks clear/sharp. I can't imagine how much better a DVI cable would look. I will probably get one in the future on ebay or something though...
2) The monitor is really good. Didn't have any dead pixels or any of those problems..
 
coffee33 said:
The gateway or the new widescreens from viewsonic.
Your going to get a lot of people saying Dell but take this in account "there not that good", the price is but having to return it over and over till you get one without defects isn't fun. Remember, dell doesn't make LCD's, they make LCD cases with the Dell badge on them. I know most Dell's LCD's are LG's and LG makes a great LCD but come on? LG isn't that great and they have ghosting issues up the waaazooo. JMO.
Whaddya know...no one's mention DELL's yet :D

Well, i got the 2405...perfect out of the box...ordered three 2005's for dads office..2 were perfect and 3rd (now looking at it) has SOME bleeding....but nothing major enough to warrant a return. I guess with DELL its your luck, if you get a defect-less screen, its the most bang for buck....

As with any LCD's you buy, its luck whether you get a good one or not. Except with DELL, at least for other people here, its harder to get a perfect screen.

Just my 2 cents...

Also, i always thought DELL panels were Samsungs ?
 
Well, if you were willing to bump that price up another 100, I would say go with the apple cinema display. I just bought the 23 and 30" models, and they are sweet. One had a dead pixel, and the store immediately unboxed 3 more, and did a check for me. I must have gotten lucky to get that kind of service, but it impressed me enough to love my new monitor.

*note* the 23" and 30" models dont run for 700dollars. I was referring to the 20" CD.
 
{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
1) You don't NEED to buy a cable. I am still using the VGA cable and the text looks clear/sharp. I can't imagine how much better a DVI cable would look. I will probably get one in the future on ebay or something though...
2) The monitor is really good. Didn't have any dead pixels or any of those problems..

You are right, you dont need to have a DVI cable, the unit does come with a D-sub cable but DVI is much better IMO.
 
you are probably right; however, i can't imagine how much better it could look when the quality of text with the VGA connecter looks just fine to me..
 
Well isnt DVI better for games? Either way i would go with DVI just because of the benefits (if any). but would i need a certain type of DVI cable? what are the differences between DVI-D and DVI-I or w/e they are?
 
{NcsO}ReichstaG said:
if there is any buzzing at all, it is not a problem with any moderately loud computer...

Then you have not heard one of the Gateway's with the problem. I thought the same thing until the one I bought had the buzz. I have a very loud computer and it was buzzing loud enough to be very annoying. Not quite as loud as the computer but at a higher pitch and physically closer to you so probably equal in relative volume. It only happens at brightnesses below 85 +/- 5, so if you like to be blinded then you'll never notice the buzz.
 
Back
Top