Which latest video card do you own?

Which video card do you own?

• Total voters
750ti, don't have as much time to game, and it runs everything pretty well at 1080p.

I amusingly thought at the time that the reason why they were able to give you one for free was because they were stockpiling through lack of sales.
I had a 290x and fitted an Accelero Xtreme III cooler which netted me 1150MHz overclock and it was a decent card, yours will be a bit better.
What made me buy another card were driver issues which you may not get.
It will be interesting to see if yours overclocks much.

Yeah, this pool has been on the video card front page for a week. It should have a pretty wide response by now.

The Nvidia/AMD numbers are telling:

A 50/50 split for older/slower cards. That's about where you expect it to be, since it's a fairly random thing "whichever" card you happen to be using, if you don't tend to keep current-gen.

A 75/25 split for high-end cards released in the last 2 years. That's fitting the massive drop in AMD marketshare being reported. Current AMD owners aren't tempted enough to purchase a new AMD card, or they defect to Nvidia.

Last edited:
Going to ride out the 780 SLI setup until the successors for Maxwell and Fiji show up.

Yeah, this pool has been on the video card front page for a week. It should have a pretty wide response by now.

The Nvidia/AMD numbers are telling:

A 50/50 split for older/slower cards. That's about where you expect it to be, since it's a fairly random thing "whichever" card you happen to be using, if you don't tend to keep current-gen.

A 75/25 split for high-end cards released in the last 2 years. That's fitting the massive drop in AMD marketshare being reported. Current AMD owners aren't tempted enough to purchase a new AMD card, or they defect to Nvidia.

The other thing is, is that not a lot of people do multi-monitor gaming. Older cards such as the 7970 are plenty fast for almost everything up to 1080p.

Why spend money on a new card when the old one does just fine.

In fact, my old setup was CF 6870s. My brother-in-law is now running that setup and sees no reason to upgrade. He plays at 1080p.

And some of my other family members who also game have older and/or lower end cards and they do fine for what they use them for.

Most people do not spend that much on video cards. The "other" category in the poll is for everything but the current high end cards. Mid-range is what most people go for, so the 50/50 split for AMD/Nvidia is not necessarily just older cards.

The other thing is, is that not a lot of people do multi-monitor gaming. Older cards such as the 7970 are plenty fast for almost everything up to 1080p.

Why spend money on a new card when the old one does just fine.

In fact, my old setup was CF 6870s. My brother-in-law is now running that setup and sees no reason to upgrade. He plays at 1080p.

And some of my other family members who also game have older and/or lower end cards and they do fine for what they use them for.

Most people do not spend that much on video cards. The "other" category in the poll is for everything but the current high end cards. Mid-range is what most people go for, so the 50/50 split for AMD/Nvidia is not necessarily just older cards.

Yup, I only upgraded to a GTX 960 because my GTX 460 was finally hitting a wall at 1080p. People who buy midrange today don't tend to upgrade as often. That's why the sales of these premium cards are so important for the health of your company.

It used to be that the $200 price point was the most important for profits. People would rather buy a $200 card every two years because they tended to use less power, and had the same features as $400 cards. When a new card came out two years later with a whizzbang new features,the same performance as the old $400 card, and new DX level, they would buy a new card!

But now we've hit a wall with what's possible in real-time graphics programming, Moore's law has taken a break, and many games are less demanding than they used to be. I got 4.5 years of useful life out of my GTX 460, and I'm not the only one.

So the only thing growing the high-end market is artificially-erected barriers like crazy people moving to 1440p/144Hz/21:9/Eyefinity and 4k. So AMD missing out on these top-end sales has a very bad effect on finances.

Last edited:
I got a 980 Ti just two days ago. The reason for going with it over AMD is pretty much why I've been with AMD since 2007 up until earlier this week: it offered the best (performance+features)/price ratio for the high end.

AMD somehow managed to screw up big time and lose not only the performance crown, but also the price-performance crown.

Only one choice.
Bad poll

once choice its good, here are people with more than 4 cards that can certainly screw all the poll.. like me with over 8 High-end cards (GTX 980 and 980TI) can just crap out the poll..

"artificially-erected barriers like crazy people moving to 1440p/144Hz/21:9/Eyefinity and 4k"

hahaha...they way my stuff looks compared to yours....nothing artificial or crazy there...purely night and day

not dogging you...just sayin'

HD 7970 Ghz Ed.(running stock for now)
HD 7870 my edition (OC)

both play alost everything without hiccups till I upgrade with new build

My main two systems:

NCase M1 - 4790k - Titan-X
Corsair 600T - FX-8350 - 2x 780 Ti

6950 2GB.

It's plenty considering I play Civ 5, Diablo 3, Skyrim, and TF2.

I'm gonna grab a 960 shortly though.

Darn, my graphics is that old since it is no longer on that list. Using a Sapphire HD 7950.

Darn, my graphics is that old since it is no longer on that list. Using a Sapphire HD 7950.

AMD's 370 is actually a rebrand of the 78xx series. Your card is newer than some of the 3xx series. ;)

Finally got the GTX 960...
Can't believe the performance on this lower mid-range card, especially with the gimped 128 bus.
It matches and in some games, surpasses(only by a bit) the R9 280 with lower power consumption and less noise/heat. Speaking as a person who usually stands in the red corner, this is the first green video card since GTX 470, they did hell of a job with Maxwell...wow!
Not all things are peachy though, IQ(at least for me) still seems washed out and dull compared to AMD cards...after all this time.
Also, perhaps due to lack of memory, compared to the 280 at exactly the same game settings, objects in game seem less detailed/slightly blurry on the 960.

Regardless, great job nVidia!

There isnt a video quality problem, you need to set your display up to suit the card.
Turn brightness down.
I have had the same issue every time I've changed between AMD/NVidia and there is no difference in video quality.

There was a recent thread about it.
Turns out the problem was the settings used for a video recording and the quality is equal.

You also need to know how the settings in the control panel work. Similar settings between AMD and NVIDIA are not necessarily going to act the same way. I know you said you owned a GTX 470, but the drivers have changed a bit since then.

I was just posting an honest assessment from someone who haven't used an nVidia card in a while. Not trying to knock one company over another. Personally, I find these Red vs. Green flame wars irrelevant... brand loyalty to a point where you say horrible things to others to prove minor performance differences. That's just how I see it.

The IQ argument has been going on for a long time. Not just in this forum, but many other tech forums as well. I'm inclined to believe that it is not some stealth marketing campaign invented by a over zealous marketing director...it has merit.
Over the years, I've tried calibration of monitors with numerous setting adjustments to hardware and software. And again, as I've stated before, for me and myself only, AMD IQ is better than nVidia.
However, from my experience, nVidia GPUs plays games a lot smoother with fluidity that you can feel.
An honest personal assessment...that's all.

had a crossfire 290x unicorn pair with Hynix ram and took records on hwbot.
sold them because im joining peaceorps, then I won a gtx 960 oc mini at PDX lan... and a case, power supply, mouse, keyboard, ssd, fans, and had a board with a xeon and ram.

For years, I only ran the latest and greatest. Don't do much PC gaming any longer, so I recently settled with a 2 gb GTX 750ti. Suitable for my daughter to run Minecraft, Gmod, Sims, etc...

For people who have 295x2, you are welcome to use 290x option.
For people with r9 fury nano, you are welcome to use either Fury or FuryX option depending on how it actually performs.

Back