Which laptop?

AllLiving

Gawd
I have the choice between two different laptops. All I'm going to be doing with this laptop is surfing the internet, playing music, movies, online poker, and chatting online. Which do you think is the better deal?? I think the main difference is just the CPUs. Will I notice a big difference spending the extra $300 for a faster cpu?

$924 SYSTEM

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home (SP2) w/ XP Home Backup CD
Application Software: Microsoft® Works 8.0
Screen: 15.0" Ultrabright XGA TFT Active Matrix (1024 x 768 max. resolution) ........[ +US$25.00]
Processor: Intel® Celeron® M Processor 360 (1.40GHz, 400MHz FSB, 1MB L2 cache)
Memory: 1024MB 333MHz DDR SDRAM (2-512MB modules) ........[ +US$140.00]
Hard Drive: 80GB 4200rpm Ultra ATA hard drive ........[ +US$60.00]
Optical Drive: Integrated 8x Multi-Format Double Layer DVD Writer (DVD±R/±RW/CD-RW) ........[ +US$50.00]
Extended Service Plan Including Limited Warranty: Notebook Value Service Plan -- 90 day parts/labor/no on-site/90 day toll technical support
Carrying Case: Not Selected
Battery: Primary 6-cell Lithium ion battery with AC pack and 1 yr. limited battery warranty
Additional Mouse: Not Selected
Speakers: External speakers not selected
Integrated Wireless Networking Adapter: Integrated 802.11b/g wireless networking card
Surge Protector: Not Selected
AntiVirus and Utilities: Not Selected
AntiVirus Software: Norton Internet Security 90 day introductory offer
Floppy Drive: Integrated 4-in-1 card reader
Expansion Slots: One type II PC card slot
External Ports: (4) USB 2.0, VGA, IEEE 1394 (FireWire)
Video: Integrated Intel® Extreme 2 graphics with 32MB UMA memory technology
Keyboard and Mouse: Full-Sized Keyboard and EZ Pad® Pointing Device
Multimedia Package: Integrated sound and stereo speakers, headphone/speaker jack, and mic jacks
Modem: Integrated V.92 56K modem
Network Adapter: Integrated Intel® 10/100 Ethernet Adapter
Internet Service Provider: Six months America Online® Internet access
Part Number: 1008362
Additional Software: Adobe® Acrobat Reader® 6.0, McAfee AntiSpyware 30 day introductory offer and Google Toolbar

$1244 SYSTEM

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Home (SP2) w/ XP Home Backup CD
Application Software: Microsoft® Works 8.0
Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 Processor 538 with HT Technology (3.20 GHz, 533MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache) ........[ +US$65.00]
Memory: 1024MB 333MHz DDR SDRAM (2-512MB modules) ........[ +US$70.00]
Hard Drive: 80GB 4200rpm Ultra ATA hard drive ........[ +US$60.00]
Optical Drive: Integrated 8x Multi-Format Double Layer DVD Writer (DVD±R/±RW/CD-RW) ........[ +US$50.00]
Extended Service Plan Including Limited Warranty: Notebook Value Service Plan -- 1 year parts/labor/no on-site/1 year toll technical support
Carrying Case: Not Selected
Additional Mouse: Not Selected
Speakers: External speakers not selected
Integrated Wireless Networking Adapter: Integrated 802.11b/g wireless networking card
Surge Protector: Not Selected
AntiVirus and Utilities: Not Selected
AntiVirus Software: Norton Internet Security 90 day introductory offer
Floppy Drive: Integrated 6-in-1 card reader
Expansion Slots: One type II PC card slot
External Ports: (4) USB 2.0, VGA, IEEE 1394 (FireWire)
Screen: 15.4" WXGA TFT Active Matrix (1280 x 800 max. resolution)
Video: Integrated Intel® graphics with 32MB UMA memory technology
Keyboard and Mouse: Full-Sized Keyboard and EZ Pad® Pointing Device
Multimedia Package: Integrated sound and stereo speakers, headphone/speaker jack, and mic jacks
Battery: Primary 8-cell Lithium ion battery with AC pack and 1 yr. limited battery warranty
Modem: Integrated V.92 56K modem
Network Adapter: Integrated Intel® 10/100 Ethernet Adapter
Internet Service Provider: Six months America Online® Internet access
Part Number: 1008316
Additional Software: Adobe® Acrobat Reader® 6.0, McAfee AntiSpyware 30 day introductory offer and Google Toolbar

i just yesterday used a laptop with the 1.4 celly and havta say it was HORRIBLE

do yourself a favor and spring for the p-m

Why isn't there a Pentium-M option there?

Also, who's the manufacturer?

you can do much better than either option...

Of the 2 options you listed I would get the Celeron M over the Pentium 4. Will run cooler and have better battery life.

Like both posters above me though, I think you can do better than those deals.

Yes, there are much better laptops on the market for these prices. I also recommend a Pentium-M over anything Celeron unless you like banging your head against walls.

These are both Customized GATEWAY laptops. I don't really care about the brand, I'd just like to save money. I'm looking for...

1gig of Ram
2ghz+ CPU
60-80gb Hardrive Space
15-17 inch LCD.

That's basically all I need. If you can point me to a link that has better deals, let me know! thanks alot for your wonderful replies.

you need to realize that the pentium m's are much faster than they appear when just comapring clockspeeds. the benefit you're p4 processor would have over a p-m would be the hyperthreading capability, but for what you listed you would be using the laptop, i dont think you would miss it. a 1.8 pentium m would be fairly compairably, however the m would run cooler, at a lower voltage and provide a longer battery life for your system.

Ok that's good to know. I'm CPU illiterate as of late, especially for intel based cpus. So I'm gonna be looking towards a decent 1.6+ghz Pentium M. Any good links for good quality / bang for your buck customized laptops?

thanks

id say go with a dell 6000

wait for the coupon deals...i just got mine for 800 with 40% off and i added my own gig o ram for 100

Back