Which is the bottleneck here - gpu or cpu?

singh_uk

n00b
Hi

I have a

E6600 @ 3.3ghz
GTX 260 OC @ 666mhz core/1107 memory
4gb 800mhz ram

Is my GPU or CPU a bottleneck for crysis etc?

At what resolution? Everything is a bottleneck for Crysis - how do other games run?

Your CPU would probably be a bit more of a bottleneck, but your system overall is pretty good.

At what resolution? Everything is a bottleneck for Crysis - how do other games run?

I agree, Crysis is always demanding. But in this case, its more likely to be the CPU. Play something else and compare FPS either that or dont max out the setting on crysis.

Your CPU would probably be a bit more of a bottleneck, but your system overall is pretty good.

This getting a quad should help boost the performace! But as Zero said, your system is pretty good(and better then mine haha)

which is the bottleneck depends a lot on what resolution you are running. I would guess that if you are running 1920*1200 or 2560*1600 your gpu is the bottleneck. If you are running 1280*1024 or less its probably your cpu. If you are at a resolution in between it could go either way.

with crysis it totally depends on what resolution your running.. if your running a low resolution.. say 1680x1050 or lower then its the CPU.. if your running a higher resolution 1920x1200 on the gtx 260 then its the gpu..

but in anycase the cpu is most likely the limiting factor.. but your talking maybe 2-3fps difference with crysis..

I have:

E6600 @ 3.3ghz
GTX 260 OC @ 666mhz core/1107 memory
4gb 800mhz ram

Is my GPU or CPU a bottleneck for crysis etc?

I would have to say that it is your CPU holding you back, regardless of resolution.

Since the E6600 runs stock 2.4GHz @ 266FSB, your OC of 3.3GHz is @ 366FSB

Have you tried to set it up to 400FSB 3.6GHz? Or considered a 45nm C2D?

I would have to say that it is your CPU holding you back, regardless of resolution.

Since the E6600 runs stock 2.4GHz @ 266FSB, your OC of 3.3GHz is @ 366FSB

Have you tried to set it up to 400FSB 3.6GHz? Or considered a 45nm C2D?

lol woops.. i read it as a q6600.. so now my explination is completely useless...

yeah i agree with you and everyone else.. its the cpu..

To easily verify if the CPU is the limiting factor.
Reduce your CPU speed by 10%, if the framerate drops anywhere near 8% you are completely CPU limited.
If the framerate drop is say 2%, its definitely not a CPU speed issue.
4% ish framerate drop suggests you are starting to be CPU limited.

Hello,

Thanks everyone for all the replies.

I forgot to mention the resolution - it is 1080p (1920x1080) so relatively high res i guess. Most other games run fine maxed out other than when i start cranking up the AA.

I am going to try and OC the cpu some more, its currently only at around 1.35v i think and load orthos temps are 55 with an arctic freezer 7 pro (idling about 32-33), so Im sure I can get a little more out of it.

Im not sure if Id upgrade it just yet as it seems a bit of a waste especially with all of the new i7 technology coming out.

i7's a waste if all you do is play games.. if you do video encoding, 3d editing/rendering then its useful.. but as a gaming system.. there's just no point to it..

how so? you can build a mediocre I7 system for the same price as a high end Core 2 Quad System. The I7 will show nothing but positive results.

Back