Which is the best headsets for gaming?

dofkaw18

n00b
Hi,

I know, that there's alot of threads about this topic, but still, I'm confused. Which is better Corsair HS1, Steelseries 7h or Razer Megaladon. Please argument why, maybe you have other suggestions? Price doesn't matter.

If you want the best.... Avoid USB headsets. A good headset should be paired with a good sound card. I was asking the same question you have... After some research, I decided to get Sennheiser PC 360 (I should be getting PC 360 next week).

Ergh... How much will the performance change between usb and standard headsets? I don't know, actually I have audio card integrated in motherboard, but I don't know is it good or bad quality. So what should i choose? USB or Standard? Well I think that for me USB is better, well that's just my opinion, so I'm very confused now...

Integrated audio in MOBO sucks... You did ask for what's best for gaming right ? If you don't want to spring for a sound card, then maybe USB headsets are for you.

USB headsets can be very good. Look at the reviews for the Creative WoW headset, the Corsair HS1, or if you have money to burn, the Beyerdynamic MMX 300. All will give much better experience than onboard sound.

If you want the best though, get a high end set (usually >$150) and pair it with a sound card with a dedicated headphone amp like the Asus Xonar Essence. This is great for almost anything - games, music, movies. Another option is the run the audio through digital out instead of the analog connections of the onboard sound and use an external amp (Astro Mixamp is a very good option for this kind setup).

IMO, nothing I have tried beats the Beyer DT880s for gaming. I even sold my D5000s because the DT880s were just that superior with gaming. I have a pair of the DT880s (600ohm) paired with a Matrix M-stage amp and an Auzentech Forte sound card.

Just do a search for reviews on the DT880s, you will see my opinion is mirrored by many people

Beyer was actually my first choice... I would have sprung for Beyer MMX 300, but this version is a USB headset... Since I did not want USB headsets... I went with Sennheiser PC 360. I think that USB headsets were really meant for laptops users.

Update: MMX 300 has an optional USB converter... so you can actually plug to sound card but the problem is that if you want to mute mic you have to do it on the USB adapter.... hence I thought PC 360 was more convenient.

Last edited:
The Beyer 880/Mx330 is an excellent dynamic choice. It is the most comfortable too. I prefer my Stax to any dynamic but yeah. Beyer 880 + mic is a very good idea.

Last edited:
Have you considered getting a real pair of headphones and a real microphone instead of a headset that compromises in both areas?

Certainly nothing wrong with the MMX300, but I would personally avoid stuff from brands like plantronics, anything that is USB, etc.

Having a separate headphone & mic is not ideal. I got same... headphone with separate mic. Both real good... especially mic... but mic picks up all background noise but for a good headset, mic should reduce most background noise...

It's true what they say about the AD700's - can't beat 'em for gaming. +1 against gaming headsets

The Beyerdynamic MMX 300 is excellent, but extremely expensive. Its built like a tank, though (the weak spot though is the microphone/speaker split cable to RCA, which seems a bit flimsy compared to everything else). Mic quality is excellent.

I have the Sennheiser PC 360 headset and can testify that it is great for gaming, especially when paired with a sound card that has Dolby Headphone.

There's also the question of whether you want open or closed. I prefer closed (with real isolation, which is why I'm not a fan of the PC 350 - which is closed, but offers little isolation). I do prefer the G35 over the MMX 300 for gaming though as it has Dolby headphone and apparently codec-based sub emulation (which actually works).

Another vote for the AD700s when used for gaming. Their soundstage is MASSIVE...they are devoid of the dreaded "in your head" kind of sound, and can be had for under $100. There are sets that have more bottom end, but you'll be hard pressed to find a set with a better soundstage, ESPECIALLY at that price point. Although they benefit from being amped, they still sound great straight off a sound card.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Another vote for the AD700s when used for gaming. Their soundstage is MASSIVE...they are devoid of the dreaded "in your head" kind of sound, and can be had for under $100. There are sets that have more bottom end, but you'll be hard pressed to find a set with a better soundstage, ESPECIALLY at that price point. Although they benefit from being amped, they still sound great straight off a sound card.

But as a warning, you should note that there are better cans for listening to music or movies; the ad700s have a noticeably recessed midrange. Yes, they are one of the best for gaming due to a large soundstage (even better with DH or CMSS technology), but just note that that's pretty much only where they excel.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I know the AD700s get nothing but love, but I honestly didn't think they were all that great. No matter how hard I tried, I could not get over the lack of bass. To me, the big sound stage did not make up for that.

Oh well, they say hearing is subjective. We all know what sounds good to our ears, that's all that matters.

Just to echo the wave of responses here, don't even bother with "gaming headsets". I've used several models and they are invariably overpriced and underperforming compared to a good set of headphones with a matching microphone.

A couple suggestions that don't break the bank (in order of price): HD555s, AD700s, AD900s, Denon D2000s. If money is no object, look into getting a headset amp.

Just to echo the wave of responses here, don't even bother with "gaming headsets". I've used several models and they are invariably overpriced and underperforming compared to a good set of headphones with a matching microphone

It depends on what you're after. Most people who have opinions like this spend <$50 on some POS headset and conclude that's all there is.

Well, I finally received my Sennheiser PC 360. PC 360 was a replacement for ATH-A900.

Well, comparing it to my ATH-A900....
Comfortwise: ... uff, no comparison... ATH-A900 wins by a long shot. Maybe overtime PC 360 will break in and I'll feel better ? dunno.
Sound: I'm still undecided. I'm so used to closed cans... they both sound totally different... but I'm leaning towards PC360. PC 360 seems a bit more crisper.
MIC: WOW, I am so impressed with microphone... I used to think my USB webcam with integrated mic was good... pffft... No way man... Mic sound so clean... I'm still in wow.

In conclusion, I am really disappointed with the comfort but sound & mic are real good. I wonder what current PC 360 owners think about comfort... and maybe with time it gets better ?

Last edited:
^ I'm with spike on this one (about the Sennheiser PC360)

It's really surprising that the comfort level is not as good as it should be on such expensive cans (and from a company like Sennheiser to boot! wth Sennheiser?). But the flip side to that coin is that they will not break easily... it's very sturdy, hard plastic. I think they were going for that LAN Party durability, which you can also tell by how strong and sturdy the mic is as well.

The sound quality on the other hand will definitely put you in happy land. I have mine paired up with the new X-Fi Titanium HD... OMG the best audiophile by day/gamer by night combo on the market right now IMO! :cool:

:D

Back