Which is the best 37" LCD-TV for Gaming ??

Zorachus

[H]F Junkie
I am possibly thinking of going even larger, and selling my two year old Apple 30" Display to my Brother, and getting into the 37" for gaming, which is mainly just WoW, and some BattleField2.

I have read a lot about the Westinghouse 37" and heard good things about it, how does it look/play for WoW ? But there seem to now be 3 companies making 37" LCD-TV's which is the bets for a PC Display ??

- Sharp 37LB5D ?
- Westinghouse 37W3SE ?
- LG 37LB5D ?

I was considering the LG heavily (as in ready to buy it) since it was an S-IPS panel and probably makes a great television since I watch HD cable on my TV. However, I was able to grab the Westinghouse for half the price so I just went with that. 1080p sources are awesome on the Westy. Any interlaced sources suck. If you are only using it as a computer monitor, then I recommend you save a couple hundred bucks and get the Westy. If you watch any form of TV on your new screen, then I suggest going with one of the true TVs you listed. If money is no object, then the S-IPS panels will give you the best picture.

I was considering the LG heavily (as in ready to buy it) since it was an S-IPS panel and probably makes a great television since I watch HD cable on my TV. However, I was able to grab the Westinghouse for half the price so I just went with that. 1080p sources are awesome on the Westy. Any interlaced sources suck. If you are only using it as a computer monitor, then I recommend you save a couple hundred bucks and get the Westy. If you watch any form of TV on your new screen, then I suggest going with one of the true TVs you listed. If money is no object, then the S-IPS panels will give you the best picture.

Thanks for the advice, I would be using this for a PC monitor only, I already have a Sony 55" Grand Wega for my home theater. So how do games look on the 37" Westy, is that the best one for playing computer games ?

I am just worried after using a very high rez 2560x100 Apple 30" Display, that the Westy will be blurry in comparison, meaning I will be getting a larger screen and lesser rez compared to what I already have.

Any users here have had both a 30" LCD and the 37" Westinghouse ??

You might want to consider the 40" Samsung for $1400. Although if you are doing PC gaming that might be too big. I know I shelfed my 37" Westinghouse because I couldn't run Crysis at 1920x1080 with a 8800GTX. So I grabbed one of those 24" LG HDMI monitors.

tried some Source @ 1080p on my W3J w/ x1600 this past weekend on a 40" samsung, and while it looked great..it felt it really struggled with most of the settings turned up high, which was not a problem when I played directly from the laptop at 1280x768.

On whether it's too large, thats a very personal thing, but i'd call it an extremely immersed experience. The size helps a lot with console gaming though.

how does it look/play for WoW ?
Also to double back to my previous post, 37" is great if you can do 1920x1080 with 4x AA. The AA is a MUST. Here's a screenshot of WoW for you.
mage.jpg

The I have the Westy 37W3 (not SE), and it is fantastic for gaming and for 1080p sources as previously stated. 1080i broadcasts look like balls though. Wii really looks like shit even with component.

Hrm, I wish there were more people with the LG, maybe it wouldn't suffer from the problems that my Sharp does.

You might want to consider the 40" Samsung for $1400. Although if you are doing PC gaming that might be too big. I know I shelfed my 37" Westinghouse because I couldn't run Crysis at 1920x1080 with a 8800GTX. So I grabbed one of those 24" LG HDMI monitors.

Ok you did what, why? A 24" is gonna be higher res than 1080p, and you don't have to play in native res...

How do the Westy's look with the 360 and Dish HD 720p programming (or direct) ?

Ok you did what, why? A 24" is gonna be higher res than 1080p, and you don't have to play in native res...

How do the Westy's look with the 360 and Dish HD 720p programming (or direct) ?

If you are a videophile, you will not be happy with watching TV on this thing. 1080i is horrendous, and 720p although better, is also not too great. People have said playing XBOX through the VGA, or anything through VGA for that matter solves this. Since I watch mostly Sportscenter, I don't really mind the sad TV functionality.

Also to double back to my previous post, 37" is great if you can do 1920x1080 with 4x AA. The AA is a MUST. Here's a screenshot of WoW for you.
mage.jpg

Nice pic, could you please post some other pictures of WoW in-game action in outlands, and maybe Team Fortress2.

Do games look crisp/sharp ? How about ghosting ?? I know my Apple 30" has a 16ms repsonse time I believe, and the games at my native rez of 2560x1600 is sweet, just curious the difference.

Thanks

Just checked Newegg and the price is down to $799.00...just not sure if it is still worth giving up my Apple 30" for this ?? Even though I just use my system for WoW, and some other games, plus web surfing

I have a 42" and 40" both 1080p and can say without a doubt that at 2.5ft+, they're sharp and probably would be for most people. However, in your case I'm not sure I'd "give up" the 30" given its great resolution for PC use. In your case it may make sense to set it up for console gaming though, but....I just scrolled down to see your previous posts and realized that this is ONLY for PC use. In that case its easy..don't do it. Thats a drastic resolution loss and usable desktop space loss.

I bought a 24" so I can run 1680x1050 without the image looking horrible. For the 37" Westinghouse, it was 1920x1080 with 4x AA or nothing.
Nice pic, could you please post some other pictures of WoW in-game action in outlands, and maybe Team Fortress2.

Do games look crisp/sharp ? How about ghosting ?? I know my Apple 30" has a 16ms repsonse time I believe, and the games at my native rez of 2560x1600 is sweet, just curious the difference.

Thanks
Sorry, my Westinghouse is now in the living room for TV watching. Since you have a 30", I would recommend staying with that.

Also, just for a test.... try running a game at 1680x1050 with 4x AA. That is rougly what a 37" with 1080p would look like with a PC.

opeth's post makes perfect sense, since the PPI on the 37inch monitor is huge anything played without anti-aliasing would look horrendous. One would notice a lot of jagged or aliased images. But playing with a monitor that has a way lower PPI, in this case the 24", doesnt make the aliasing more apparent. Therefore for the same game the overall IQ would look better on the 24inch monitor than the 37inch, i.e without anti-aliasing.

So final answer, yes or no i getting the W 37" and selling my Apple 30", again I am mainly a [H]ardcore Gamer and websurfer

So final answer, yes or no i getting the W 37" and selling my Apple 30", again I am mainly a [H]ardcore Gamer and websurfer
I say pass on the Westy. I do a lot of writing and video work in addition to gaming. If you're used to the high resolution of that 30" Apple, the loss of resolution will drive you nuts. I found this Westy IQ pic in another thread.

I couldn't stand looking at text, documents, multiple windows for hours every day with that kind of pixelation. I have no doubt the Westy is an excellent gaming monitor, but that's not enough for me. I'm probably going to drop the $$ on the Samsung 305T.

while i'll admit there is a noticeable drop in resolution..a crappy photo of a screen is hardly an accurate representation of the IQ of a screen

I've used my sharp 37 inch for gaming and some minor desktop use.

I find 37 inch to be a little on the large size for a desktop (my table) + too little desktop space (19x10 res)

Although, I think the 32 inch gp1u sharp would make an excellent gaming screen if it weren't overpriced. The input lag times (note not response time) is on par with the fastest gamer LCD's available.

while i'll admit there is a noticeable drop in resolution..a crappy photo of a screen is hardly an accurate representation of the IQ of a screen
It's a good enough indication of how that screen handles text. I said the West is probably great for gaming. It's not great for anyone who works with a lot of documents.

Back